I love art galleries

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 18. Jan 2010, 07:21 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi everyone

I love to visit art galleries.

I find it very inspiring to look at the art work which is on display, from whichever period, old or modern. It never ceases to amaze me how creative and imaginative artists are, and it encourages me to persevere with my painting, although I know that I still have a long way to go.

This week, I visited a new gallery, the Nottingham Contemporary. which opened recently. There is a special exhibition of David Hockney's paintings, 'A Marriage of Styles', which shows his early work from the sixties.

I found it a very powerful exhibition because much of his early work challenged the attitudes of that time towards homosexuality. No-one else at that time would use it as a subject, so he was very brave to do so. His paintings were partly propaganda, but they are also extremely moving.

There is also the iconic picture he painted in California, 'A Bigger Splash'. I have seen reproductions of this picture many times, but to see it in reality was amazing. It was on a much bigger canvas than I had imagined, and the way he captured that split second of a splash when someone dives into a swimming pool was marvellous to see.

The exhibition runs until 24th January, so if you live near enough to Nottingham, take the time to go. You will not be disappointed.

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Joan

I know you are very interested in art.

Have you done any at all?

Love Trisher xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Trisher

I go to an art class run by A, Care in my area, and I love it. I have done watercolours up to now, but want to try other media soon. I'm not very good, but I enjoy it tremendously.
  • trisher
    Options
    I could draw very well. I used to do cartoons but I could also draw buildings and scenes in pencil, I love doing it but I cannot do it anynore.

Trisher xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Trish,

I love doing cartoons....I d silly ones and well often involving cats driving cars and sheep......now there is a surprise :wink: xx

Hi Joan,

I love wandering round the Newlyn Schools gallery :D I was disappointed in Tate Modern, but I don't 'get' modern art so .... Went to the National once and there are some really good painting there, I still like the Newlyn schools stuff though. Cris x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Trisher

I'm sorry that you can't draw any more, especially if you enjoyed it.

Hi Cris

There are lots of artists in Cornwall, aren't there? I've been to Tate Modern in London, but not the one at St. Ives. I am often baffled by modern art, but I find it very interesing all the same. I just try to approach it with an open mind, and then sometimes it has a big impact on me.
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    I can't draw a straight line but I do love galleries. last year I went to a Edvard Much exhibition which was in Glasgow. I had always thought of scream and didn't really think I would like him but I was surprised and really liked some of his work.

Have you ever been to the Vatican museum? Quite spectacular.

I love ancient are, I have a thing about acient cultures and have studied Egyptology at night school.

Anne
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Joan,

We do have a lot of artist etc down here and I have to say Tate modern went over my head....... I just don't 'get' modern art. Tracy whats her names stuff is beyond me to be honest. the Newly stuff I do like but its more traditional and less abstract....... Its also opposite the Meadery :lol::lol: x

Hi Anne,

I should love to see some of the old stuff. I went to the Egyptian part f the B M and was absolutely fascinated by their carvings and statues....... You ok I hope? xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Anne

I have been to the Vatican, and it is wonderful. I am interested in your knowledge of Egyptology too.

Strangely enough, that featured in David Hockney's work, because he went to Egypt when he was young.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Cris

Tracey Emin. I didn't use to like her, but I am quite a fan these days. She is very explicit about her experiences of life, but I admire her honesty.
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Joan,

I don't mind her, I actually think she is ok as a person but I just don't get her art....... Don't even begin to start me on the Turner prize :wink: x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Trisher

I go to an art class run by A, Care in my area, and I love it. I have done watercolours up to now, but want to try other media soon. I'm not very good, but I enjoy it tremendously.

How can I find out if similar class in my area.I love drawing and once got onto a carers six week course which was wonderful but they only let you attend the once.Most classes are expensive and times inconvenient(cant leave kids in the evening).
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Trisher

How can I find out if similar class in my area.I love drawing and once got onto a carers six week course which was wonderful but they only let you attend the once.Most classes are expensive and times inconvenient(cant leave kids in the evening).
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth

I think I am just lucky that this is run in my area as each area does different things. Our teacher is fantastic, and she has given me so much encouragement.

You could find out what is going on in your area from the web-site. Otherwise, perhaps there is a day-time class somewhere near to you that you could join.
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Elizabeth

Google art classes in your area. I google everything - have converted many others to it's merits too. Or you could try your local library, see what they have.

Nx
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    I didn't get the Tate Modern either?? A half empty glass of water on a shelf???

The Egyptology thing started when I was about 5 intrested in all things ancient. I joined Glasgow Uni Archaelogical Society when I was 7 all on my own. I wrote to them on my cartoon notepaper telling them I was intrested and that started a junior membership.

Over the years I have dotted in and out of it at various courses and lectures.

I sometimes find art quite emotional. I have cried in the egyptian temples, Louvre, Vatican...In fact in the Vatical the sculpture of mary holding jesus I was so overcome I burst into tears. The tour guide a typical italian male the told everyone that I was reacting properly to the beauty as he had a grope and pinch of my bum (I was the youngest on the tour at 29, a few years ago).

Anne
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Confession - I don't 'get' modern, either - convinced that some of those so-called 'artists' are um, from another planet. What is beautiful in an unmade bed? Or a heap of broken crockery? And if anyone tells me it's to do with the way the light falls on it or summat, I will throw it at them.........

Annie
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Confession - I don't 'get' modern, either - convinced that some of those so-called 'artists' are um, from another planet. What is beautiful in an unmade bed? Or a heap of broken crockery? And if anyone tells me it's to do with the way the light falls on it or summat, I will throw it at them.........

Annie

Oh but Annie
    Ya got to love BANKSY! :D:D Smart guy.
    Chris :wink:

Hi Joan
    Don't get to London much but was lucky enough to see the wonderfull galleries in Amsterdam and Paris. Amazing!

Mind you I wasn't bothered about the Mona Lisa, made a bee-line for the Poussin. Shepherds of Arcadia at the Louvre as I love a grail quest mystery?. :D You need a week in the Louvre would love to visit again someday.

Chris xx
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Who?

Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:

Annie

Re Tracey Emin and her unmade bed;

Tracey Emin might not be the kind of artist your granny would like. Her autobiographical style of work is all about exposing the kind of things about herself that most people would be too ashamed to reveal. [ Quote]

Art doesn't always reflect the beautiful aspects of life, and I admire her honesty. Maybe you wouldn't want to meet her at a party though :!: :!: :shock: :shock:
  • annie_mial
    Options
    I can agree with both those sentences, Joan. But why would I want to look at anything ugly or painful or upsetting - or even plain boring, which her 'bed art' is to me - when I have that around me and with me all day every day?

I'm just a slave to escapism in my 'me' time!

Annie
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Who?

Annie

Sorry Annie I can't do these fancy links, you can google him. He's the anonymous Street Art guy, very clever. Well I think so.
    Chris
  • trisher
    Options
    I don't understand about the umade bed, what does it show or represent about her life?

We had some art a few years ago now at a shopping centre it was giant stones ontop of each other cost them a few million. Everyone thought it was a waste of money.

I think it was supposed to be about people.

Trish xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Who?

Annie

Banksy is a famous graffiti artist. He never reveals his identity, so no-one is sure quite who he really is.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    I don't understand about the umade bed, what does it show or represent about her life?

We had some art a few years ago now at a shopping centre it was giant stones ontop of each other cost them a few million. Everyone thought it was a waste of money.

I think it was supposed to be about people.

Trish xx

Trisher

This is what Tracey Emin was trying to show with her unmade bed. ( I think!)

A consummate storyteller, Tracey Emin engages the viewer with her candid exploration of universal emotions. Well-known for her confessional art, Tracey Emin reveals intimate details from her life to engage the viewer with her expressions of universal emotions. Her ability to integrate her work and personal life enables Emin to establish an intimacy with the viewer.

Tracey shows us her own bed, in all its embarrassing glory. Empty booze bottles, **** butts, stained sheets, worn panties: the bloody aftermath of a nervous breakdown. By presenting her bed as art, Tracey Emin shares her most personal space, revealing she’s as insecure and imperfect as the rest of the world.

So there you go !!
  • trisher
    Options
    Joan

Thank you, for explaining it. I can now understand her more. I think I should read a few books.

I do like art, like Joseph's that beautiful painting that you now own, that was just an amazing piece of work.

Thanks Joan.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Joan

Thank you, for explaining it. I can now understand her more. I think I should read a few books.

I do like art, like Joseph's that beautiful painting that you now own, that was just an amazing piece of work.

Thanks Joan.

I've got two of Joseph's paintings, and both are of Tobermory in Scotland. One is of a stormy sea, and the other is of a calm sea, so they make a wonderful contrast with each other. They are both lovely paintings, and I am delighted to own them.