Exotic space thingies

Options

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

In that case, it's already been done!

Annie
  • annie_mial
    Options
    No, Rehab........I've never come across him, but I seem to think along the same lines.........

Annie
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    delboy wrote:
    Try Googling the Fire Nebula

Is that the same as the Flaming Star Nebula :?: I found that, and it was very beautiful.

Brought the thread back on topic, but no-one has answered my question yet :!: Does anyone know :?: Are they the same thing :?:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • joanlawson
    Options
    That's me finished then, by the sound of it :!: I only wanted to know the answer :!: :shock:
  • joanlawson
    edited 5. Feb 2010, 17:39
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    joanlawson wrote:

Brought the thread back on topic, but no-one has answered my question yet :!: Does anyone know :?: Are they the same thing :?:

Two different nebulae Joan.

Did you know the crust of the moon is about 50k thick and is mainly composed of oxygen?

Not a lot of people know that, Del, so thank you for the information. I don't know a great deal about space in general, but it is a fascinating subject.

Despite the threat of being arrested and put away for a long time, I HAVE googled nebulae, and I am amazed to see how beautiful they are. The colours and shapes are wonderful.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Yes, I had a look, you are so right, Mell - it's breathtakingly beautiful! No UFO's!

Annie

Isn't it just, the surounding glow is caused by the radiation beams of the pulsar as it spins in the centre of the nebula.
  • mellman01
    Options
    delboy wrote:

Thanks delboy will have a look.
  • joanlawson
    edited 6. Feb 2010, 07:23
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    delboy wrote:

Thanks delboy will have a look.

Careful, Mell, or you might get arrested and put away for a long time like me :!: :shock:

At least we will know what a Fire Nebula looks like :!: :D
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    From measuring the ages of lunar rocks it's estimated that the moon is about 4.6 billion years old, or about the same age as Earth

WOW :shock: and we nearly missed it so from all the forum members

" Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, Happy birthday dear Mo oo nnn, happy Birthday to you"

Not a lot of people know that either :!: This forum is nothing if not educational :!: :D
  • mellman01
    Options
    I give up! :P :roll:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Mars is particularly bright tonight don't you know.

No, I didn't know, but the sky is very clear tonight. I have been looking at the stars. I should write about them on my thread, 'Takes my breath away', because it does if you think about all the planets and stars, don't you agree :?:

More about Mars:

One really amazing thing about Mars is that it's got the biggest known volcano in the Solar System.

This volcano is called Olympus Mons. It's so big that it would tower above the biggest volcanoes on the Earth.

It hasn't erupted for many thousands of years but if it ever does erupt we'll get a fantastic view from the Earth.

That really would take my breath away :!: :D
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:

Don't give up, Mell. It's an interesting topic :!: :D
  • mellman01
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    mellman01 wrote:

Well I don't know it's all over the place is this thread Joan!, hey I saw Avatar in 3D last night with my nipper last night it was also out of this world, worth the walk I'd say.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Mars was very proud of his mom Venus too, as she was so beautiful and strong.

More about Venus;

If you were able to stand on the surface of Venus, it would feel like being 1 kilometre under the sea on Earth, a depth deep enough to sink a submarine. A person or a creature would immediately be crushed by Venus' amazingly strong pressure

Venus is the only planet in the Solar System to turn clockwise. All other planets turn anti-clockwise. It rotates clockwise on its axis extremely slowly, suggesting that something might have once collided with it to disrupt its regular rotation.

I'm learning something new every day on this thread :!: :D
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    joanlawson wrote:
    mellman01 wrote:

Well I don't know it's all over the place is this thread Joan!, hey I saw Avatar in 3D last night with my nipper last night it was also out of this world, worth the walk I'd say.

Glad you enjoyed it, Mell. Have you come back down to earth yet :?:
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi Joan well not really had an odd thing happen last night, after several pints of me home brew the clouds of magellen sudenly popped into my head!?, why god knows, hey maybe it's a sign!.
    Or maybe it's the onset of BSE!?
  • joanlawson
    Options
    This thread is great :!: :!: Now I've had to look up Clouds of Magellan :!: They are irregular dwarf galaxies, so I have discovered. But what is a dwarf galaxy :?: Do they come in different sizes, ranging from dwarf to giant :?: :?: And why are some irregular :?: :?:

I need to know these things :!: :!:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    WHEN two dwarf galaxies meet, the larger one will steal almost all of the smaller galaxy's stars.

Another gem of information, just in case anyone is interested :!:
  • mellman01
    Options
    Space ship rehab!?, not again what is it with aliens and rectal probes, every time I get abducted it’s out with the flippin probe and bite on this you retarded Earth monkey!.

Right Joan look up type 1 and type 2 supernova there the fertilizer of space we are all made from the heavy elements they produce when the die, also do you know there are at least 400 billion stars in our galaxy alone and there are over 125 billion galaxies in the universe, that’s more stars than all the grains of sand on all the beaches on this planet, and they say there isn’t life out there, has to be more than we can ever imagine.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Space ship rehab!?, not again what is it with aliens and rectal probes, every time I get abducted it’s out with the flippin probe and bite on this you retarded Earth monkey!.

Right Joan look up type 1 and type 2 supernova there the fertilizer of space we are all made from the heavy elements they produce when the die, also do you know there are at least 400 billion stars in our galaxy alone and there are over 125 billion galaxies in the universe, that’s more stars than all the grains of sand on all the beaches on this planet, and they say there isn’t life out there, has to be more than we can ever imagine.

Hi Mell

I looked up supernova, and found this:

A Type 1a Supernova will soon occur. The star will explode, releasing in a single instant more energy than the entire galaxy.

It will tear itself and everything in its system, even its sister star, into nothing.

After the lights five-thousand year journey to our own system it will illuminate our skies, even when it's light, for days.

That will be quite an explosion, won't it :?: But I don't think I will be around to see it as the light will take 5000 years to travel towards Earth.

I liked your comparison of the stars being more numerous than all the grains of sand on all the beaches of this planet. Very poetic :!: :D

Joan
  • countessheather
    countessheather Member Posts: 114
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol: There are stronger contenders for the title than you melloman!
  • mellman01
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol: There are stronger contenders for the title than you melloman!

What have I done now!??.

Hey look up type 2 supernova, and have a look at super massive gamma ray burst that should get you worried Joan!.

Stop press Joan also look up loop quantum gravity and if you make any sense of it please let me know what the flip it's about!? :?: :mrgreen:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Mell

I've just found the super massive gamma ray burst on YouTube. WOW :!: :!: That is fantastic :!: :!: Like a firework on a massive scale, and very beautiful :!:

Loop Quantum Gravity ????????????

Loop quantum gravity is a mathematically well-defined, non-perturbative and background independent quantization of general relativity, with its conventional matter couplings.

Easy-Peasy, Lemon Squeezy :!: :!: :shock: :shock:
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Of course I knew that!

Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Of course I knew that!

Annie

Hi Annie

I'm just a bit worried about the conventional matter couplings though. Should they be X-rated, do you think :?:

Have you watched the super massive gamma ray burst :?: It is very good.