pre-op/op date

Options

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    .I am due a foot fusion but will be unable to walk for a while afterwards.Also due another THR but they need and want to do foot first.
    Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

you do have a lot to consider too with the ops and your family commitments ..... x
    has ortho said when they would do the fusion ?
    I really do hope that you have help at home....x
    as speedalong said please let us know so we can support you too...
    Iris x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Iris - yes, at least the op and just after are sorted - can tick that off my list!!

Elizabeth - it is a worry isn't it. Is your daughter on meds for constipation and are they working? S suffers from this too, but has not suffered from overflow problems like your daughter. After many years we finally seem to have him on a regime that works (at least for now.) His biggest problem is withholding at school - which puts his poor system under so much strain and results in him getting very stressed at school when he is trying not to go.
    You really do have your hands full. Like me though, once ops are out the way and we have both recovered - life will be so much easier again ... it's just finding a way to cope with the op and recovery period that is the mindfield!!

Keep us posted.

Speedalong

sorry only just seen this reply. Daughter same as your son. Withholding making it worse but scared of going. She will not use a toilet now. Sleep, social activities and eating are all affected.
    I am used to keeping busy and there is always one problem to deal with! I have no date for operation yet but really cannot see how i would manage a long period of recovery for my foot. With the THR the lack of pain was wonderfull and I was up and about much sooner than I thought.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    tkachev wrote:
    .I am due a foot fusion but will be unable to walk for a while afterwards.Also due another THR but they need and want to do foot first.
    Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

you do have a lot to consider too with the ops and your family commitments ..... x
    has ortho said when they would do the fusion ?
    I really do hope that you have help at home....x
    as speedalong said please let us know so we can support you too...
    Iris x

Thankyou Iris. It is a lways a worry. When I had THR I arranged lots of respite clubs and 2 older daughters came while I was in hospital. I am not too worried about THR having coped fine last time but you definately need lots of help and it is not easy for a lot of peeps. But the ankle seems to be just too long a recovery. I see surgeon in mid-July to look at ankle scan pictures.
    Take care Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth, I totally sympathise - this constipation and related issues makes daily living very challenging - it is hard enough for adults who suffer from it, let alone children and those supporting them.

I will try and PM you about it, when life settles down my end again.
    S didn't have a good day at school today (he had to stay off school yesterday to transport problems .. long story) and is having an up and down evening - not sure if IBS pains are back, is constipation related or blocked nose and hayfever related, hormone related ..? If only he could put his feelings into words ... I have to be a behaviour detective!!

Do all the foot op options require peeps to be in a wheelchair? When I had my last THR I as on no weight bearing on that hip but allowed to use crutches and hop...!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Today we only had 4 children in our class (instead of 7,) so this meant one of us (our class has 3 staff - me and my two assistants) could start boxing up and putting post its on stuff that is mine, why the other two staff worked with the children. Then this afternoon I led a singing session whilst my 2 valiant assistants loaded up the mini bus and we spent the last part of the afternoon at my house!! The children had a fun in the garden playing with my garden toys and had their afternoon drink and snack outside whilst my assistants carried all the stuff upstairs and put it in the spare room!!!
    On Sunday another teacher and her hubby are going to put the boxes in the loft.

Reckon we need two more bus runs ... but feel SO much better that this is going to get done - I even ache less because I'm worrying less!!

Just need S to get back to his more usual and slightly easier self!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    feel SO much better that this is going to get done - I even ache less because I'm worrying less!!

Just need S to get back to his more usual and slightly easier self!!

Speedalong

that is just so great! aren't people just wonderful..sounds as though you work with some really good people. :D

glad you are worrying less and can conserve your energy before preparing for your op.

love and (((hugs)))...hope S settles too. Iris x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Iris
    I work with some great people, nicest school I have ever worked in!! (]ust a shame we lost our fab head and deputy at same time a few years ago and new management are so rubbish ... no management skills, no people skills and no education skills!!!)

Speedalong
  • dorcas
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Iris
    a shame we lost our fab head and deputy at same time a few years ago and new management are so rubbish ... no management skills, no people skills and no education skills!!!)[/i]

Speedalong

Wow speedalong :shock: :shock: :shock:

were management Ok when you told them you'd be off for the op?

Iris x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Iris,
    I think boss is relieved, he views me as a health and safety hazard. Now he realises how long I will need off, I think he is beginning to realise the enormity of what I must be having done.

I think they will both be pleased when I am off, as I'm often challenging management ... I can't keep quiet when their silly decisions are affecting the children adversely... You know the saying, "They couldn't organise a p*ss up in brewery."

Speedalong
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hi Speedalong

I am so glad things are getting sorted bit by bit.
    you are on your 2nd THR? The thought of losing both natural hips scares me although much better than putting up with the dreadful pain.
    I took daughter to GP and we have to continue with movicol which she hates. I feel for your son. It should right itself in the end but it is not knowing where that end is that is so upsetting.
    Take care
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dorcas
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Iris,
    I think they will both be pleased when I am off, as I'm often challenging management ... I can't keep quiet /i]
    Speedalong

You can't keep quiet well that is a surprise... :?: :lol::lol:

I know work has been an issue for you so being off for the op will give you time to get all the info and those issues sorted before going back.

hope you have a good day and S feels more calm. :wink:

Iris x
  • efleure
    efleure Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Just to say I hope you get everything sorted as best you can. It's sad that you've got all the stress about your foster son to deal with as well as everything else but hopefully people will help you enough that you can start to think about yourself a bit.....Best wishes to you both...x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,
    does the movicol suit your daughter? It gives S some stomach cramps (he only takes it if his pooh is getting hard and painful to pass.) He takes fybogel am and pm as the consultant said normal roughage (bran and stuff) was making his constipation worse. He seems to tolerate it pretty well.

Does your daughter drink well, movicol is only effective if you drink plenty too?

Good luck to you both.

Speedalong
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Iris, I'm hoping to have a bit more time to get my head in gear after the op ... once the GA fog has cleared ... and when S is school.

Am having a difficult time with S at the moment ... he is very frustrated and not at all right - not sure if unwell or due to teenage angst ...

efleure - no time for it at present ... hopefully after op???

Speedalong
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Speedalong

Just calling in with another hug or two. Have been following this so am glad to see you are getting your arrangements in place and easing the worry a little. Hope S doesn't find it all too difficult, am sure your support team will do all they can and we are all thinking of you. ((( )))
    take care
    Chris
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Chris thanks for the hug and emotional support.

We had a get together this evening (myself and two brilliant friends who are going to be sharing the main part of S's care during op and first few weeks after.)

Bit by bit things are getting worked out and I feel a bit more in control of this enormous situation. My pain levels have been better these last two days which I'm sure is partly due to the insomountable mountain become a little bit tamer and the fact that there is eventually an end to several years (around 4 or 5) of gradually increasing pain and loss of mobility.

It is very helpful to me to share each step of my journey with the fabulous folks on the forum.

Speedalong
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,443
    Options
    Hi Speedy

I am so glad things are all pulling together for you.

Sounds like you have a brilliant set of colleagues and you must feel so releived to have work sorted like that....friends to help with S....wonderful support. You know It's fair brought a tear to me eye :oops:

You take care

Love

Toni xx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi so pleased things are falling into place for you and hopefully if you are a little more chilled your S will pick up on it and will feel calmer his self which will help your recovery xxxxxxxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • efleure
    efleure Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Glad to hear you're maybe gaining some ground in this stressful situation....made me smile when you put that your pain is slightly better at the moment...I've noticed that my pain has lessened slightly since I received confirmation of my date for my op....weird....hope you continue to sort things out.x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Toni and Bertyboy for continued support. As long as I reign in my thoughts and deal with this a bit by bit – things are falling into place. You are right S definitely will benefit from me being less anxious and happier.

Efleure – VERY strange isn’t it!! It’s a bit like when you finally get your diagnosis you hurt more (only in reverse!!)

Speedalong
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Glad to hear things are falling into place Speedalong.. Not long now until 12th...

my sister cheered me up today - she reminded me that she had her hip operation 8 years ago on 25th February and on 25th May she was fit enough be be on holiday in Italy, walking up to the ridge of Vesuvius ... you get a coach part of the way and then have to walk to the top)!!

I am feeling a bit stressed about how much work I have got to get done before I have my op on 6th May ... busy making all kinds of lists in case i forget something... have been sorting out the house today, moving things that I might trip over ... the op itself is not bothering me at all!! and have just realised that the car's MOT is due the 5th May so will have to get that done too - which means a precious day without a car ...!

Best wishes

Marion
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion,
    my sister cheered me up today - she reminded me that she had her hip operation 8 years ago on 25th February and on 25th May she was fit enough be be on holiday in Italy, walking up to the ridge of Vesuvius ... you get a coach part of the way and then have to walk to the top)!!
    That's the sort of recovery you and I are aiming for!! How old was your sister? Was she as crippled as you and I before she had her op? We need these positive stories don't we?
    I am feeling a bit stressed about how much work I have got to get done before I have my op on 6th May ... busy making all kinds of lists in case i forget something...
    I'm at that stage too - so far all my lists are about S - his meds, his routines, phone numbers relating to him etc Need to start a few lists for me soon. The only list I have done is one for my friend who is doing some shopping for me.
    have been sorting out the house today, moving things that I might trip over ...
    This will be a MAJOR job in our house we have a lot of clutter ... bet you feel so much better having done that - even if you ache from doing it! What is even more annoying is that after the op I will have time to do it and will have to look at it - but will be physically incapable of doing it!!
    the op itself is not bothering me at all!!
    It's the least of my worries too and one thing we have no control over - all we have to do is lie there!!
    and have just realised that the car's MOT is due the 5th May so will have to get that done too - which means a precious day without a car ...!
    Can't some one drop your car in for you on the 6th - you won't need it then or you could drop it off at the end of the 5th.

Take care Marion,

Speedalong

[/quote]
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Speedalong

My sister was 57 when she had her hip done (I'm 58) and she was in a very bad way before - she couldn't sleep and used to pace round the house at night ... Her knees are giving some gip now, but the hip has been absolutely fine - she can walk for hours.

Glad to hear that you have got some good friends to help with S.

Yes, it's will drive me mad afterwards too, seeing things that need doing round the house and not being able to do much!!
    Oh well, I will be able to watch the whole of Wimbledon this year- pity I'm not a football fan (World Cup)!.

Marion x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion, No I'm not a footie fan either - drives me mad cos means there is nothing much on the TV that I want to watch ...

Only advantages usually are that places to go are quiet during matches .. but if I'm stuck at home anyway ....

Speedalong
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hi Speedalong,

My positive story is I managed to walk my daughter to school from September, never managed this before. Got to the parent meetings which Iusually have to miss too.As a family managed to go round the National space museum and not have to sit every few minutes or hang on to walls to try take the weight off.We hardley ever went out as a family before my op.

Another thing, i used to constantly wet myself trying to get to the loo, then have to fight to get the wet clothes off rather than call my OH. That all stopped straight after hip op. Not had this problem since!
    Daughter doesnt like movicol.She doesnt drink much cos she is scared of going to toilet.It is a vicious cycle I am afraid.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein