Anyone for Gardening?

Options

Comments

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I do hope so Airwave. I've already done 2 last cuts.

That's a good name for them Daffy. Easier than the real name. :lol:
    Christine
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Well DONE Airwave :)

Enjoy your beer!!

Did I say one of my beds now has green manure panted and another onions for overwintering the third is a mess of odd bits and pieces still hanging on in there - the sweet-corn a few spring onions and some poorly cabbages :?

lovKath I am so pleased you like them :) - we'll need some piccies next year now :wink:

Toni xxx

Wont promise Toni,
    anyway, my loading pics on here is about equal to my gardening skills. :roll:

You are always so helpful
    thanks Toni
    Kath xx
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    applerose wrote:
    Hmmm, where did my last post go? I said that I thought helebores were pretty and I think I suggested geraniums and anemoninies, anemonin anenom anemonies. I can never say that right first time. :? :lol:

Was that for me Christine? thanks thats really kinds of you
    Kath
  • applerose
    Options
    Yes Kath, you're welcome. Don't know what happened to the original one. Hope you find something you like.

Won't be doing much in the garden now as it keeps raining.
    Christine
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468
    Options
    My OH is very jealous, next doors cyclamen are just blooming, he keeps running the mower over them, OH is besides herself in case he does it again!

I'm not sure my mower will keep going till the last cut, the fuel bulb is failing to draw the petrol through.......money money money, it disappears as soon as I think I have some!
  • applerose
    Options
    My cyclamen are looking good in the front garden. My neighbour brought my recycle bags in for me a few weeks ago and dumped them all on top of my poor cyclamen so I know how your OH feels.

Doubt I'll be doing any more mowing. It keeps raining and it takes ages for my lawn to dry as it's all clay and the water doesn't drain very well. Hope it doesn't cost too much to fix yours.
    Christine
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hello!

I don't often follow this thread but have a question about overwintering a Brugmansia (Angel's Trumpet). I'm a newby to this plant. I bought a "stick" newly started this past spring and it is now a four-foot plus beauty in it's in a second bloom with at least 15 flowers at the moment and more coming. It looks like it needs a bigger pot.

It's handling cool temps at the moment (down to 2 degrees at night) on my open but glassed in deck. We have our first frost forecast for this weekend and I plan to cover it with a blanket. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to do with it.

Wait for it to finish blooming, then prune it back? Prune it back and bring it indoors? Move it into a shed with window? I'm from mild westcoast Canada; weather is rainy, without hard frost until ~December/January, so similar to UK, I think?

Any suggestions on overwintering this beauty greatly appreciated. I love my plant!

Thanks in advance, Anna
  • applerose
    Options
    Hi Anna. Wow, I'd love one of those. Sorry I can't help with how to look after it. I have no idea. Maybe one of the others can help.

Picked another half a dozen tomatoes and a few yellow raspberries. Another courgette is looking good but still got a couple in the fridge so will pick that later. The rose my mum's sisters gave me is flowering again. Only one flower but it was a surprise.
    Christine
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Thanks Christine;

I rooted a couple more over the summer; they seem to root from cuttings very easily if you get a chance at a cutting. I'm envious you are still picking raspberries & tomatoes.

We've had a beautiful, warm fall here but sadly, I think it is soon to end. I have one tiny rose flower in bloom. It's very welcome because the deer ate this particular bush almost to the ground. I didn't think it would come back at all.

Anna
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,578
    Options
    Anna

Well-done you managing to grow one so well!!!

Looking at this

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=576

I reckon you are doing right by it (I hope you took piccies??) as it sounds to be thriving. Here it would definitely be indoors except in the height of summer!

I think I read somewhere that they will grow back even if affected by frosts so to 'mark' the place where they are???

Good luck with it

Love

Toni xxx
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Thank you Toni :D That was a most helpful link. I must get it inside, I think!

I have some lovely pics. Can these be downloaded to this site? (Not a very savvy computer person)

Thanks again for your help.
    xxAnna
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,251
    edited 23. Dec 2013, 16:52
    Options
    Hello all :xmas_cheesygrin:

Have not posted for a long time but I am still here, alive & kicking, picking the last of my current salad & making some next year's plans.

There seem to be many happy xmas threads here so I will pick one at random to add to - but a happy xmas from me to the gardening posters, & in the festive spirit I share with you this gripping, atmospheric & wintry literary work which I have 'found'.

(Luckily for all of us, only a few small fragments were discovered, of which these are the final lines)

It concerns a sad student of agriculture who is driven to the brink of despair by the failure to grow of one of his potato crop, until he can only obsessively mourn its demise...

THE TATER
    by Edgar Allen Potato.

"..... and the tater, never chitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
    On a pallid dusty pallet just inside the greenhouse door;
    And his 'eyes' have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
    And the grow-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
    And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted - nevermore!"

and that should be all the proof you need that Christmas is sending me nuts :lol:

holly.pngholly.pngholly.pngholly.pngholly.png
  • toady
    Options
    Boomer13, it's a long time after your query i know but yes, you can post your own photos on here using the 'Img' (image) option when you are composing your post, you just need to 'host' your photos ie get them their own web address first - using an online image hosting site such as photobucket. :) also see the forum FAQ 'can i post images', under 'Formatting and Topic Types'.
  • applerose
    Options
    And a happy Christmas to you too Toady. Great that you are still picking salad. I picked the last of my outdoor tomatoes just a couple of days ago. There are still some beetroots and spinach. Too windy and wet out there at the moment.
    Christine
  • toady
    Options
    thanks :areindeer: just have some mixed leaves now and watercress which seemed very happy up til now in the mini greenhouse but have come indoors now on account the zips are frosting shut on the cover - it will have to come in til spring i think and be dismantled. therefore nothing genuinely 'outdoors' just some kale which isn't doing a lot.

Far too wet & windy as you say, would like it to give over now; getting really wearing isn't it.

happy xmas to yourself. :)
  • toady
    Options
    I noticed yesterday that one of my coffee plant seeds has germinated, so that was a very apt mini xmas 'miracle' - first go at growing any, I was quite chuffed :D

Also on an outdoorsy theme I heard an owl hooting round midnight last night which was also very Christmassy & rather a nice moment. Have never heard one here before, it was a very clear night & it was obviously carrying well, quite loud but sadly couldn't tell from where.

Unless of course it was some drunken person making hooty owl noises for a laugh but I don't think so :lol:
  • applerose
    Options
    Oh a coffee plant. Do you think you'll get coffee beans one day. That would be good. I've got a grape vine which is still in the house. I bought it at the end of the summer and didn't dare plant it outside. Haven't got a greenhouse at the moment. I read that it would be about 4 years before I'll get grapes. I saw my blackbirds in the garden today waiting for lunch. Haven't seen them in a while. Mr and Mrs B had their fill then left the rest to half a dozen starlings. Found a red admiral butterfly on the window inside the back door today. Poor thing. I can't let it out. It would freeze but I don't have food for it. Might try some sugar syrup.
    Christine
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Thank you Toady, for the photo-posting instructions.

Clever of you getting a coffee seed to germinate! How exciting! My antidote to the Christmas mayhem this year was going off into reveries about my garden.

I have a couple of orchids on my window sill that are shooting out flower stalks in the past few weeks.

Great that you heard an owl! A real Christmas treat.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,578
    Options
    Hello Everyone :)
    Lovely to read all your gardening news :)

I have hardly done a thing :xmas_redface:

A coffee plant eh? That's amazing Toady and one of my orchids has buds on it's shoot too Boomer :xmas_cheesygrin:

The wind is really getting up and things are blowing about out there :madnoel:

love to everyone

Toni xxx
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Exciting isn't it, Toni? I love my ((((orchids))).

xxAnna
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I've been away from the forum for a while and am just trying to catch up again.

I was out pottering round the garden yesterday, just clearing up debris really and there is so much new life growing. Lots of the spring bulbs which I expected but also new growth showing on the Rose bushes and the Clematis.
    We gain a couple of minutes daylight every day now that the winter solstice is past.
    Has anyone else noticed little green shoots?
  • applerose
    Options
    Hi Ritwren. That sounds wonderful. Unfortunately, I've been laid up for nearly 3 weeks so haven't been in my garden. I don't do much at all in the winter but I do like to walk up and down to see if anything is happening. Might go and have a look this afternoon. I had 5 blackbirds (very unusual( the other day eating berries but I couldn't get out to leave some mealworms which they go crazy for.

I love the thought of those extra few minutes each day once we pass the 21st December. Can't come quick enough for me. Don't you find it appears to take longer to get lighter than it does to get darker?
    Christine
  • Boomer13
    Options
    It's amazing how quickly the extra minutes accumulate. I've noticed some green shoots appearing too :D. Perennial spinach and grasses.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I noticed a green shoot too - a seedling sprouting at the junction of my car's dashboard and windscreen! I've had things germinate in wheel arches before but never inside the car.
  • applerose
    Options
    Oh, a garden in a car? What a lovely idea. :lol: Nothing much going on in my garden at the moment but there are new shoots in my boss's garden.
    Christine