Options
    Wow Christine it looks lovely :)

Really pretty!

I hope you have seen the last of Mr Slug and his family :roll:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,578
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    watered in my slug nematodes this afternoon before it rains.....

and planted a couple more rows of spinach.

Tomatoes are doing great, but none not NONE is red yet :roll:

Not enough sun - just plenty of HEAT.

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    My 'kids' (cats) Have been running about trampling my OH's lovely plants so I've got 100 catnip seeds and he's going to plant them at some point over the Bank Holiday weekend (you know what men are like not today, tomorrow !!) so the little un's can roll about in them instead of the lovely plants!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Another poppy flower has opened.

DSC_0601_zps3573aab0.jpg
    Christine
  • johnsouthwales
    johnsouthwales Member Posts: 58
    Options
    i had a gardenful of these strange looking flowers with broad leaves cropping up, i never knew what they were so i left them there.. after a while i stated looking them up and discovered they were poopies - and got a bit worried. put it this way, according to what someone said, it's not illegal to have them, it's only illegal if someone cuts open the pod to milk it (whatever that meant lol).

the garden was plastered with them and did wonder where did they suddenly come from out of the blue. they are stunning, but the sad thing is after they flower, the red and black petals just seem to be so brittle with a breeze and fly off.

inside the pod, there are loads of seeds which can be used for poppy seeds in bread.. i tried it once, but check each time cos some insects can live inside. the seeds can easily escape if uprooting the flower head as there are 'vents' at the top, and if the seeds spill, they will grow and spread
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Really pretty Christine :)

You must be so pleased with them.

John I guess that'll be how they spread by the tiny seeds on the wind/breeze.

I didn't realise they might have insects in their seeds though :?

Some tidying is needed in my garden ATM - where is that Airwave? :wink:

love

Toni xx
  • applerose
    Options
    Oh dear John. As Toni said, the seeds will fly out of the vents at the top when the wind blows. I've not thought to use the seeds in bread as I don't make my own bread very often being intolerant to wheat. Gluten-free bread tends to be dry and crumbly so I'd rather not bother most of the time. I find my poppy flowers only last one day which is such a shame.

Toni, yes I love my poppy. I wonder where Airwave is. He'd really enjoy tidying your garden for you. :lol:
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

That he would Christine - it's a BIG garden too like his own :wink:

Do you remember my cucumbers which got chomped? The culprit caught red-shelled :roll:

Well Cucumbers mark 2 are doing well and have several wee cucumbers on now....the size of gherkins :D

Love

Toni xxx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468
    Options
    I'm here fellow gardeners! Just had a few days rest. I now have a new tool, an even larger trailer! instead of cutting everything up, shredding what I could and taking the rest up the dump, I can now take everything straight up the dump and let someone else do the work, mind you, getting from the bottom of my garden, up the slope and into the trailer is a grind.

I have been trying to grow poppies for ages. I got hold of some pods and dried them, collected the seeds and sewed them at the right time, nothing! A friend gave me some seeds, I sewed them, nothing! I brought 6000, sewed them, nothing! This year I brought 6000 more, sewed them, nothing! Do we have a seed eating monster in the garden? I have tried different locations, sprinkling, sewing, throwing randomly etc etc. Mind you I have tried the same with pounds and pounds of wild flower mixes and no luck.

Any suggestions? We have thick heavy clay soil with plenty of different levels with open beds, shade, walls etc etc.

P.S. I also have a long pole pruner with an electric chainsaw on the end, brilliant!
  • applerose
    Options
    Well done Toni. Hope they grow to a good size.

Oooh, Airwave, a new big trailer and a long-pole chain saw? I could do with your help to cut my lleylandii hedge down a bit lower. Can you please pop round once you've tidied Toni's garden for her. :lol:

I have heavy clay soil and don't seem able to grow poppies or other wild flowers. Wonder if it's the soil then. The poppy I have grown is in a pot with compost.

I had allowed some Great Willowherb to grow in the garden. It gave a lovely big splash of pink for the last couple of months. Pulled them all up today as the flowers were about finished. 3 huge bags of deadheads, cutbacks, finished flowers and grass put out for recycling in the morning.
    Christine
  • Airwave!
    Options
    Oooh, Airwave, a new big trailer and a long-pole chain saw? I could do with your help to cut my lleylandii hedge down a bit lower. Can you please pop round once you've tidied Toni's garden for her. :lol:

Yes, of course! I may need some new tools, a tractor, chainsaw, commercial shredder, are you starting to see a picture emerge????? I'm soooo shallow.....

You may be right about the soil.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Brilliant

Thank you so much Christine for rounding me up some help :wink:

Airwave - I have a red ride-on mower here???

(that'll work methinks)
  • frogmorton
    Options
    th_galaxyaugust2013121.jpg

The second lot of cucumbers have succeeded

and cabbages and caulis.....hope the slug nematodes can keep them safe :?

th_galaxyaugust2013126.jpg

love

Toni xxx
  • Airwave!
    Options
    How much do I have to pay to get a go on a ride on mower??????? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Just lopped a rather large copper beech, a bit rotten so not too hard a work. I have also de-ivy-ed some of the flower bed.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

Nothing at all Airwave just gotta join the queue :wink:

Well done for today's gardening exploits :wink:
    I've mowed me neighbours front lawn today :shock:

am I mad??!!

Yes but she's away not back till Friday.

(left the back it doesn't show)
  • applerose
    Options
    I'm sure I posted in here a couple of days ago. Maybe not. :?

Airwave, I'll buy you some new garden tools when I win the lottery then you can do all our gardens for us. :lol: You have been busy today.

Toni, brilliant to see your cucumbers coming on. Hope the nematodes work. Think I'll join the queue too. I'd like a go on one of those. No, I don't think you are mad for doing your neighbours lawn. Just being helpful. We might not have much more chance to get our lawns cut.

I've got another 4 bags of garden waste to go out next week. Hope my neighbour will put them out for me as I go on holiday the day before the recycle men come. I have 4 tomatoes ready to pick. First ones of the season. :shock: Yellow raspberries not ready yet. Maybe another week. Bramble is still dripping with fruit. Think I'll leave one to grow next year. Finally got the pipe my hose it attached to fixed and watered everything, including the paths, properly for the first time in over 2 years. I've been running in and out with the watering can.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Gosh Christine

watering cans :shock: Back breaking work isn't it?

Glad the tomatoes are finally turning red :) Will your neighbour keep an eye on them too for you while you are away?

Sure she will pop the waste out for you - I would.

The cucumbers are almost twice the size now!!

Good idea to leave a bramble now l think :)

Go on you can have a go too, but Airwave is first in the queue.....remember he is male? He is quivering with excitement :lol:

love

Toni xx
  • Airwave!
    Options
    I was feeling terrible yesterday, tired and sore and then I looked at an ivy clad rotten laurel stump, half an hour later and it was down, leveled off and in the barrow for OH to dispose of, now she can't decide what to do with the bed. Shrubs? Flowers? Veg? Still it got me out and thinking of something else. Watch this space.

Two red tomatoes declared their intention to be eaten by catching my attention, yum yum. Emptied out all the old veg pots that didn't grow into the veg patch, only beans and marrows left doing anything. Potatoes waiting to be dug up, GS can do that job, that'll get rid of some energy!

With my project to get more light into the bottom of the garden paying off, the apples are a lovely red now (I'm told that only sun will make them that colour), we tried a couple, not quite ready yet but the fallers are getting eaten anyway. Blackberry and apple crumble, oh what heaven! I've also picked the rhubarb, crumble or fool or just with custard...... Pity the goosegogs didn't do much, we're going to move them away from the buddleia which is overshadowing them.

Toni-we have a loverly watering system installed-grandchildren! Even the two year old has a small watering can and she sees it as her job to water everything. Which one made a 'beach' in the sandpit...........?
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Aw bless 'em Airwave :D

Adorable having help like that :)

Well done for all the clearing you have done this year - I think it will work we just need some more sun now :?

I spotted two red tomatoes too when I fetched some basil in for the pasta sauces I made and froze today, but left them till later :wink:

Your Grandchildren would love this

th_Sept2013phonetoni012.jpg

My Frog House :) there are lots of wee froggies in there :D .

Now I need a small (low maintenance) pond.

Was that your plan for your new space???

Love

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    Options
    Toni, I don't think I'll ask my neighbour to look after my tomatoes. For the last 2 years, I have put them in trays and left them outside where they are and they have been fine. I will leave the garden waste in my front garden as I know they will put it out for me. I bet I don't get a go. Airwave will keep it to himself. :lol:

Airwave, not sure I want you to come round now because you are chopping everything down. :shock: Seriously, you are working very hard. Well done. Hope you are feeling better now. Mmmm, all those crumbles. Yum yum. Did you know that buddleia is now classified as a weed? I've got one in the front garden and one in the back and they are always covered in butterflies in the summer. How lovely to have your grandchildren to water your garden. A beach? :lol:
    Christine
  • Airwave!
    Options
    Yes, the sandpit + water = beach, the kids thinks its great fun, they were actually jumping up and down (in the mud!) as I showed them they could dump the paddling pool water on the brown lawn!

We have buddleia front and back, I start 6" from the ground, I counted seven varieties of butterfly at a time on one. One advice sheet says deadhead them another says leave the seeds for the winter birds which sounds better cause I don't have to touch it until I hack it back 6" from the ground! We have had extraordinary numbers of bees of all types on the lavender, a bumper year which I'll harvest soon.

We have also had an amazing number of dragonfly (coloured ones) for the last month or so, hunting everyday.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Montydon said to deadhead them for more flowers......buddleia that is....Christine I agree with you they aren't weeds, but fantastic for our butterflies

We had loads of bees early in the season too Airwave - a gorgeous sight - I got some photos, but hear they are doing badly this year :?

You know those dragonflies? We had an enormous one got in the K**c**n the other day...we opened all windows and doors and he got back out. So pretty aren't they?

Am removing some leaves from my tomato plants today so they ripen off a bit.

Hope everyone has some of the sun we have

Love

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    Options
    Airwave, it sounds as if it was fun on your 'beach'. :lol:

I cut my buddleia right down a few years ago with the intention of getting rid of it but, to my surprise, it came back just as tall and strong the next year. I didn't know about that. I usually deadhead them and I get smaller flowers for a few more weeks. I've had a lot of tiny bumble bees but not a single honey bee. I was watching a programme a couple of months back and they showed bee-flies. They are flies that look like small bumble bees so I'm not sure which were in my garden. A few craneflies have been flying about, a couple of them very big.

Toni, I was going to remove some leaves on my tomatoes but, as I'm going away, I'm thinking of leaving them on a bit longer and might even bring them indoors in case there's a frost.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Yes Christine I would be careful with your toms with being away :?

I can supervise mine at least and think that this week I will eat my first cucumber :)

Smaller flowers for a few weeks - well if it helps the insects?