one for the ladies - shaving your legs!!

Options
speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 25. Jun 2010, 20:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
OK, I'm thinking ahead now! Unless my consultant doesn't know what is good for him - he will say I can leave the TEDS off from next Thurs :D:D:D

But!!! :shock: My legs are now incredibly hairy ... and if he doesn't also lift hip restrictions ... how are am I going to shave them?! :roll: :?:

I will be stuck wearing the TEDS to cover their hairiness AND if I don't act the hairs might start growing through the TEDS!! :shock: :oops: :?

Come on, someone must have a suggestion??? Please?!

Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't know what your physical restrictions are regarding movement. I learned earlier that leaning/bending forward is not a good idea? That don't help. I think you'll just have to stick with the German earth-mother look until you can.

Getting someone else to do them ain't gonna work either, is it? Oh, solved it! Get some Veet. Someone else can lather it on, then scrape it off. Simples. Approach a female relative or a very good friend. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    hmm ...... tricky :? :? :? :? :?

you mentioned on the beards thread that you helped S shave .... don't suppose you'd consider a reciprocal agreement :shock: :oops: :wink:

sorry ..... couldn't resist but I will honestly give your problem some thought.

wonky xxx
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    Options
    how steady is your hand? is there any way of attaching a disposable razor to something to extend it? sounds stilly i know but it may work :?
  • speedalong
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I don't know what your physical restrictions are regarding movement. I learned earlier that leaning/bending forward is not a good idea? That don't help. I think you'll just have to stick with the German earth-mother look until you can.

Getting someone else to do them ain't gonna work either, is it? Oh, solved it! Get some Veet. Someone else can lather it on, then scrape it off. Simples. Approach a female relative or a very good friend. DD

DD - am wracking my brains - but they think they would all run a mile!!

Speedy

Do they do spray on veet? Do you have to scrape it off - could I shower it off? Would that work?
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    hmm ...... tricky :? :? :? :? :?

you mentioned on the beards thread that you helped S shave .... don't suppose you'd consider a reciprocal agreement :shock: :oops: :wink:

sorry ..... couldn't resist but I will honestly give your problem some thought.

wonky xxx

Hi Wonky, had crossed my mind!! He'd have a go ...

Q but why do you think I help him??

A he's not that great at it!!

Speedy
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hair remover but reaching certain places is going to be a problem. It will wash off with a shower spray.
    LuckilyI have a man to do these things for me.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    Options
    how steady is your hand? is there any way of attaching a disposable razor to something to extend it? sounds stilly i know but it may work :?

Keeping thinking Dippydoodah along those lines - I have an old lady shave somewhere - that would be safer wouldn't it ... what could I attach it to ... beside a grabber??

Speedy
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    If it's longer hair a wet shave would be better, use hair conditioner as a shaving cream, v cheap and works v well. Ladyshave requires some pressure, which, if it's on the end of a broom handle may not be possible to employ. Yes, they do manufacture a spray on/rinse off Veet, I think it's about a fiver, I'm not sure. DD
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    Options
    id agree that the spray off veet is probably the best idea. ive seen that on the adverts im sure...
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Elizabeth, DD and Dippydoodah,

YES this hair is long ... think nun-like or chimp-like ....

Think spray on veet is worth a try - could get S to do that!! Could be messy!! Then could try finishing job with shaver square-lashed to something .... and will look at safety disposable razors too ...

Speedy
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Haven't you got someone who would do it for you?? If you lived near me I would have a go. :shock:

Men's barber shop where they do wet shave :shock:

Ladies Hairdresser's, they do shave hair so maybe they might help you out.

What about a place where they do waxing???

Sorry can't think of anything else. I hope you find some way of doing them.

Trish xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Trisher might have hit the nail on the head. Waxing. They do it for you, they're used to doing it so no shame there, only downside is - IT HURTS! DD
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    :D You consultant is not going to be looking at your legs, but your hip :D He will say you can take off the stockings but you can take them off after you have left him, or were you going to request him to do the deed? :lol:

You can get S to remove them for you when home if you are still not allowed to bend down that far. :D

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    If you have difficulty shaving your legs, then get them waxed at a salon. :) Won't be free but worth if for your sanity if it is worrying you :lol:

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • speedalong
    edited 17. Jun 2010, 16:24
    Options
    Trish and Elna - I DONT do pain for gain ... ie no waxing, NEVER plucked my ear brows etc etc!! Would rather wear TEDS .. no maybe not!!

Trish that is such a kindly offer. If my sister weren't nearly 200 miles away she would do it for me...

Elna - not worried about what consultant thinks ... but can you imagine walking past all those building sites in cut-offs with hairy legs??!!

Speedy
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ear brows? What sort of god-forsaken hairy monster are you? Laughing so hard I can't see to type! I have my eyebrows ripped off regularly, it's nothing compred to arthritis pain. Oh speedy, you silly thing!

Elna (as usual) is quite right. Your consultant will not be looking at the jungle that adorns your lower limbs, (complete with snakes, deadly spiders and anything else that hangs out therein), he will be admiring his handiwork on your hip. That is the bit that matters. I am sure that docs see far worse than a rather shaggy lower limb or two. If it will boost the self esteem tho, and I suspect it will, go for the spray-on-rinse-off Veet. Worth £5 - 6 of anyone's money. DD
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Speedy, You will have to refrain from wearing cut-offs until you are able to shave your legs if you cannot find anyone to do the deed :wink:

I am of the age now where I am invisible walking past a building site so I would have no worries with that!! There are some good points about "old age" :lol::lol:

Luv
    Elna x

• speedalong
    Options
    Ear brows?

Now you have set me off laughing - that'll teach me not to proof read my posts ... don't tend to bother on chit chat .... S is now looking at me very strangely ... and coming to see what I'm laughing at. He is flumoxed - he laughs at youtube.

Eye brows is what I meant of course ...

It's NOT the consultant I'm worried about it's the general public and people I know.

Elna only referred to the builders as I have been posting a lot of late about the demolition on my estate ...

Ear brows!!! Now that would be interesting ....

Speedy
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Go in a wheelchair with a lovely tartan blanket wrapped round your knees. Everything hidden. Lovely. DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks!! :lol::lol::lol:

Speedy

No worse than the bin liner I put over my legs if it rains when I'm out on the scooter!!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    If its any consolation I dont go in for waxing either. There is too much pain in my life already I am not going to volunteer for more. However i tis a good suggestion bearing in mind it grows back later and softer than shaving I am told.

Even with a razor tied securely to a stick there are going to be areas that wont get touched. I think S would be happy to spread the cream on the lower legs for you (I think you can manage the tops) and uing a shower head to remove will be easy.

Good luck and i know how you feel! I never show my legs nowadays and am always in jogging bottoms.
    Elizabeth.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Spray on and rinse off Veet is EXCELLENT. I know from personal experience as my eldest wanted to do her top lip (she's 11) and has inherited mine, my sister's and my mum's "hairy genes" (we are hairy, with fair skin and vey dark hair - delapidation is a MUST for us).

I wasn't too keen on introducing her to razors because of her ezcema and drying out her skin even more (and the obvious accidents). She said the Veet burned a little, but it came off easy enough and she's even done her underarms and legs now too with it.

I still use razors in the shower because it's quicker :-)

Nx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Nina and Elizabeth ,

I only need to do below the knee .... I don't do shorts and can't go swimming yet!

Veet it is then.

I shall make a public announcement when the deed is done!! What a fun life I lead!!

Speedy
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Speedy....... You want to borrow the sheep shears? S would love using those...... I got to do your ears though :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Veet flower ((( ))) Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    NINA! Veet is full of chemicals, your poor daughter, I hope you did a skin test first! Razors are fine, just use hair conditioner as an emollient. It protects and moisturises the skin too, I have never had a rash or burn or discomfort of any sort. Apparently, if one is on an anti TNF one is advised against using an epilator - no idea where that memory suddenly swam from but it is true. It is something to do with the condition of the skin due to the treatment - a thinning or something? Can't remember, this will bug me now, I'll have to check. DD