what would you do?

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 24. Jun 2010, 05:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
As some of you know my daughter is suffering from chromic constipation. Today at the GPs I was prescribed an adult suppository and a note to chemist explaining that she was in danger of permanent bowel problems, which is why adult one prescribed.
GP wanted me to take her home and administer said suppository but lo- and -behold my daughter wanted, and cried, to return to school.You normaly have to drag her there.
I have taken her back, really againt the GPs advice but explained the situation to the school that GP would rather she got this out.Apparently it is too big to remove naturally now but is ready!
It needs help to break it down.
I am worried about going against GPs advice. Maybe the situation is dangerous and thats why she wanted me to take her home.I am really worried.
What do you think I hould have done?
Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Of course she would rather go to school than go home and face a medicine that's going to make her do something that she appears to fear so badly. Oh tkachev, this is a tricky one, isn't it? What is she so scared of? Obviously things are going to hurt now, no matter what. How long has she had this problem? Has it always been a difficult thing for her to do? I had an aunt who didn't go for so long she ended up in hospital. They operated, and then she was fine. Why didn't the doctor administer it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Elizabeth, sometimes we have to do things that upset our children, but that is the way of the world, and we have to take control, when we know it`s for their own good.

The fact that your GP has put his instructions in writing shows that he has complete faith in his own diagnosis.

Doing what has been suggested will be unbearably painful for you - hopefully not for Lucy - but if it is going to give her relief, at last, then I think you may have to be brave enough to do it.

I do know how you feel my love...........Ange.
  • tkachev
    Options
    The GP told me I had to be brave and strong. Do you think she was avoiding the medication. GP has explained the old toxins and stuff are not doing her any good.She is getting aches in her legs(potassium) at night and morning.
    Because she avoids school so much I didnt want to then stop her going-mixed messages and that.I would rather she came home.It doesnt help that the school contacted the GP once and you feel on trial.I dont know if Im coming or going.

DD the lump has been in since Christmas at least. She has had this problem since a baby.Once it starts it escalates and that has been the case with Lucy.
    The school promised to phone me if any problems but I feel I have gone against the GP who is very kind,understanding and has been a great help.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Of course she would rather go to school than go home and face a medicine that's going to make her do something that she appears to fear so badly. Oh tkachev, this is a tricky one, isn't it? What is she so scared of? Obviously things are going to hurt now, no matter what. How long has she had this problem? Has it always been a difficult thing for her to do? I had an aunt who didn't go for so long she ended up in hospital. They operated, and then she was fine. Why didn't the doctor administer it? DD

There is a chance she will end up in hospital too which she doesnt want.The suppositry should break it all down so no pain is expected, probably discomfort.In fact GP said she will feel great when it is all out,
    Regards Elizabeth(in panic mode again)

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

The pooh will still be there when she gets home, she will not be in any worse state by hometime ... she has just put off the inevitable, bless her.

When she gets home it is ultimatum time!! Use whatever bribery you need to get that suppository you-know-where!!

You have not done her any great damage - but don't let her delay any longer.

Do you insert the suppository for her or does she do it?

We are all expecting a positive report an hour after hometime!! Be strong, cruel to be kind and all that. Having experienced horrid constipation after my op - it is definitely better that pooh comes out!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    If she usually doesn't like school and yet has begged to go then yes, it's obvious. Very few people in this world tackle head-on that which they fear to such an extent. No wonder she's getting pains etc, all that toxic waste lodged inside her. I think it wrong that the doctor has put you in such a position. I know this isn't the same but bear with me. When pupils start with me I tell them, and their parents, that I am the bad guy. It's Liz that's setting the homework, not mum, not dad, but Liz. I'm the one to blame for the misery of extra work outside school, so don't sulk or argue, just get on with it.

The doctor should be the one to administer this med by the same reasoning. This is not your fault, or your daughter's. You both need that third party to blame - it makes your relationship easier. You are there to help with the results of the med, therefore the care-giver. You shouldn't be the one to administer the dreaded thing, therefore an inflictor (?) of misery.

How old is she now? Is she of an age to understand the harm that she is doing to herself? I think some form of therapy is needed, surely. To have such an aversion for so long. . . . A friend's son had a similar problem after a to-do with or on a potty, not sure which. He went for therapy and was 'fixed' - manages beautifully now, no problems at all. Back to your dilemma, however: as your doctor has been good to date, ask if she would be willing to do it on your behalf. Not because you are feeble, or weak, but to be that third party that you need. Both of you need someone else to blame.
  • tkachev
    Options
    I have administered the smaller, children ones before. Unfortunately I am the giver of foul medication and administer of pain but she does know why. When she is a good mood she tells me she loves me and understands. In a way I prefer to do it myself because the GP is still a stranger.

I shall be so relieved if it works today however I have had my hopes dashed before many times.
    Looks like I shall be missing the England ,match then.....

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I used to have suppositories for asthma - god, that was the dark ages! I wish you well, if it's a path you have trodden before then all should be OK. Good luck - you won't necessarily miss the footy. DD
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Hi there
    you must feel torn what to do. I think the few hours at school surely cant make things worst but couldnt you ring the doctors and ask if a practise nurse could administer it this afternoon when school has finished?
    Obviously i am not an expert and dont know your childs medical history but have they suggested some form of special diet to try to prevent this?
    good luck and let us know how you both got on.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

I am so sorry I didn't see this till now. A ((((( ))))) and I think you have to let her do what she feels like dong re school...it might help take her mind off it.

I really do wish they would treat her sooner.... I find it so frustrating to know the poor little mite has had this so long and if that's how I feel I hate to think how you are feeling.

I really hope it breaks down for her and is out soon. Bless her heart she doesn't deserve this one.. and nor do you. Thinking of you both and another (((( )))) Luv Cris xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Elizabeth

What an awful decision for you to have to make. Hopefully the few extra hours at school which is what she wanted will give her the thinking time to accept the med when she gets home. It really is such a worry for you both. I really hope you do find that this works for her and she will feel so much better when it does. I will be thinking of you today, let us know how things are please.

love
    Chris xx
  • tkachev
    edited 18. Jun 2010, 08:22
    Options
    Thankyou for your lovely messages and support. In the big picture there are others on here suffering a lot worse than me and mine. At the moment I can only hope this thing is resolved as GP has told me the longer it goes on the more danger of permanent, long term damage there will be- at the moment it can be sorted and for that I am very grateful.

Much love
    Elizabeth xxx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    Hi there
    you must feel torn what to do. I think the few hours at school surely cant make things worst but couldnt you ring the doctors and ask if a practise nurse could administer it this afternoon when school has finished?
    Obviously i am not an expert and dont know your childs medical history but have they suggested some form of special diet to try to prevent this?

We have tried everything. Unfortunately she hardly eats anything(another worry), her growth is stunted and will continue to do so unless this is sorted. I do encourage her to eat fruit, baked beans and jacket spuds which she enjoys and any further suggestions will be gratefully appreciated. Her main problem is she needs to drink more but has only just started to use the toilet happily so has been avoiding liquid for obvious reasons.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,942
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth and daughter.
    i hope it works for you as it must be so uncomfortable for you.
    good luck. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • abbie41
    abbie41 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Sorry to hear about this, it sounds mighty troublesome.

After its cleared up I think you should get some really nice squash, something that she really likes and make her glasses of it regularly and reward her if she drinks it.I have been told Drinking more definitely helps constipation and so does that sachet stuff movical, you put it in water and it works very quickly. I had that when I was blocked up after taking too much cocodamol.

Hope she gets better soon x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth
    i do hope its works for her, poor thing its been going on to long, bless her.
    you take care
    Sharon
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth I do feel for you, my youngest son has been constipated since he was a baby (he's now 18) He has been on laxatives for a very long time. We go through bucket loads of lactuse. It doesnt matter what he eats and trying to get him to drink plenty of fluids used to be a nightmare. Things have improved a little as he has got older but I know now and then he goes 2 weeks without going to the loo. Will be keeping my fingers crossed that it goes well this afternoon. ((((hugs)))) to you and your daughter.

Julie xx
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thinking of you - have you done the dreaded deed? DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Thankyou for your lovely messages and support. In the big picture there are others on here suffering a lot worse than me and mine. At the moment I can only hope this thing is resolved as GP has told me the longer it goes on the more danger of permanent, long term damage there will be- at the moment it can be sorted and for that I am very grateful.

Much love
    Elizabeth xxx

Hi Elizabeth I think the GP is rather mean to put you under so much pressure - you know it needs to be resolved - his threats are hardly supportive!! Re her not eating much - that is because she is full of pooh. S's appetite really dropped when his was "not moving" - he LOVES food - so this was very worrying to me .. he lost weight too. When I was so constipated after my op and in the lead up to my op (thanks codeine!!) I lost my appetite too. If she finds the suppositories to uncomfortable - do ask the GP if she can try the micralax mini enemas. S swears by them ... so they must be good - he has tried everything.
    Is your daughter limiting how much she drinks because she hates wee-ing too? Constipation is common in children with special needs at my school and not drinking enough is a common theme.

Once poohing has become painful - it becomes an emotional issue too - has you daughter been offered any support with this?

One thing that really helped when S was with-holding (as he didn't want to go in case it hurt) is jumping. Does she use your sons trampoline ... especially around an hour after eating when the bowel is most active ....

Any way need to scroll down and check you have done the deed!!

Speedy

PS You will get this sorted - I did with S, felt as if I never would - but we got there in the end.
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Oh yes - does she like popcorn? I ask as a friend of mine whose daughter has the same problem serves this to her regularly - he's done his research and evidently it's a fun food that is high in fibre!

Speedy
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth I've just remembered swimming was good at getting his bowels moveing, but saying that once he realised he wouldn't go in the water again. I do hope it went well.

Julie xx
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Sorry to hear about your dayghter.

There is a medicine that helps with that. I'm not sure how old your daughter is and whether she is old enough to take this.

It is called Lactulous I think it is the right spelling.........it is quite sweet. You could ask the chemist or maybe it would be better if you ask the doctor.

My uncle had to have this and it really helped.

I hope something works soon for her.

Love Trish xxx
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    oneday wrote:
    Hi there

We have tried everything. Unfortunately she hardly eats anything(another worry), her growth is stunted and will continue to do so unless this is sorted. I do encourage her to eat fruit, baked beans and jacket spuds which she enjoys and any further suggestions will be gratefully appreciated. Her main problem is she needs to drink more but has only just started to use the toilet happily so has been avoiding liquid for obvious reasons.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Hi there
    I know it isnt ideal but say if for example she likes tomato sauce could you cover food she doesnt like in it?
    I dont know if this will work as idea has only come to me right now but you know how you can make those cornflake and cocopop ceral cakes when you cover them with chocolate..how about adding some bran flakes to them?
    prunes are lethal for me i.e. get me to the loo..could you puree some fruit then make ice cubes out of them....any ways to disguise what youre giving with with things that kids like...
    it must be an awful worry for you...
    if i think of anything else will post again,take care.
  • tkachev
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Thinking of you - have you done the dreaded deed? DD

Yes. I have done my bit.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    tkachev wrote:
    oneday wrote:
    Hi there

Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Hi there
    I know it isnt ideal but say if for example she likes tomato sauce could you cover food she doesnt like in it?
    I dont know if this will work as idea has only come to me right now but you know how you can make those cornflake and cocopop ceral cakes when you cover them with chocolate..how about adding some bran flakes to them?
    prunes are lethal for me i.e. get me to the loo..could you puree some fruit then make ice cubes out of them....any ways to disguise what youre giving with with things that kids like...
    it must be an awful worry for you...
    if i think of anything else will post again,take care.

Hi those are really brilliant ideas. She loves Ketchup, chocolate and ice lollies. I dont know if prune lollies would go down well but ice is still water. And choc cereal cakes -would she ever know!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein