The Budget and its meaning for us as a group.

Options
airwave
airwave Member Posts: 579
edited 1. Jul 2010, 02:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
I note that DLA claimants will have to undergo a new medical to qualify for aid, this is as reported by the newspapers, a revision has been put into the government schedule but nothing concrete has been put in black and white.

I have little doubt that the bar for qualifying will be raised to a level which excludes some of the present claimants and saves the country money. There is no information as to who has to go and have a medical or if it is to be everyone, a huge logistical job.

I like the idea that our country is reducing its debts, as I do myself in our household budget, it would be good if a minister would stand up and say what our country can afford and what it can't afford, so we can understand where we as a group stand in society rather than leave us in fear of hardships ahead.

8) Its a grin, honest!

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    i do not understand why we pay cold weather payments to people living in spain and cyprus were talking to couple the other day and they were saying they recive it does not make any sence does it val
    val
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    I agree Airwave and Val that cuts and savings need to be made ... especially where payments out are plain ludicrous ... however I fear the cuts that will be made will be sweeping and affect those in genuine need even though they are aimed at "scroungers." One assessment/one style medical fits all for example excludes and discriminates whole groups of people ...

My neighbours one side claim every benefit going, none of them have ever worked, they all started producing babies in their teens, they all have council homes paid for by the govt ... with grants to set up home ... my sis is on minimum wage, will never get a council house, struggles to find anywhere she can afford to rent, works every hour godsends ....
    I struggle to get services and support for S who has autism ... if he could speak and had cerebral palsy he would be better off .. but he struggles with the world just as much - just in a different way.

And these two examples are before the budget ...

Now I am depressed!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    The budget clearly said that all DLA claimants will have to undergo a medical, both new and existing from 2013. You are right Airwave, they probably will raise the bar, otherwise how are they going to save money? Rather than sit around waiting for it to happen, why not fight it? Must be lots of action groups out there.....

As for the winter fuel allowance - that is the thing about universal benefits, everyone gets them. For the few people who live abroad who get it and you think don't need it, what about all the elderly ones here who don't have to scrimp and save on their heating. They get it because they are more prone to illnesses, their circulation isn't as good and they feel the cold more. They are the vulnerable in our society as well as the disabled. I hope when I am a pensioner I get it as my heating bills are crippling. Btw, if you've ever been to Spain in the winter you will know it can be bloomin' freezing. Cyprus isn't much better. I went their over Easter once and we were all frozen, spent most of the holiday wrapped up in blankets huddling in front of an electric fire.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    One of the main problems is that people have become used to claiming for things that really shouldn't be claimed for in the first place. I have never understood child benefit - why do we pay people to breed? Have children if you can afford to support them: if you can't, don't. The last government's nest egg idea for babies was ridiculous - how many of the 'children' who were awarded it will actually see it? I'm sure some parents have squirrelled it away in savings accounts but I expect that the majority haven't.

Neither am I entirely sure why family members can now be 'employed' by one's local council as part of a care package. Are not family members supposed to care for one another? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • salamander
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    One of the main problems is that people have become used to claiming for things that really shouldn't be claimed for in the first place. I have never understood child benefit - why do we pay people to breed? Have children if you can afford to support them: if you can't, don't. The last government's nest egg idea for babies was ridiculous - how many of the 'children' who were awarded it will actually see it? I'm sure some parents have squirrelled it away in savings accounts but I expect that the majority haven't.

Neither am I entirely sure why family members can now be 'employed' by one's local council as part of a care package. Are not family members supposed to care for one another? DD

Hi DD! I thought like you about the nest egg until I spoke to my sister about it. She has a three year old and says it was bought in by the last government when they got rid of grants for further education. The idea being you could save for that expense from the child's birth. It has helped her save and the money can only be taken out by the child themselves when they reach whatever age (18?) they go to uni.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    Morning Airwave

Come to see the grin :wink:

I agree with you we do need to cut our spending as a country and that some of us dont need our child benefit.....

(DD - dont forget we need kids to be OUR doctors and nurses and whatever in the future :wink: - so the country should value them)

Also that people maybe dont need lots of kids if tehy cant afford them eh?

I guess my worry has more to do with genuine people being put off and the quality f the medical practitioner doing the medicals....

But they put nothing on beer and ****??? Yet reduced tax on cider??? what do the alcohoilics drink??!!

Love

Toni xx
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Well in theory, a medical exam makes sense. As does checking that each family that claims child benefit for 5 children actually has 5 children. But that in itself is a HUGE logistical operation which will cost money.

Also I worry that doctors doing these exams will be under pressure to fail people in order to save money.

I still dont see why no one in charge has realised we need to stop spending ridiculous amounts of money on war, nuclear defence and generally butting into other countries business. Instead put it into health, education and create green jobs to save the environment and create employment. Apparently that would be silly..:S Grr sorry politics rile me up..lol
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    This has me really worried as Im due for renewal of my DLA this December and really need my blue badge which is attached to my high mobility. Who will be doing these medicals I hope not ATOS again! I havent worked now for 2 years so rely on my DLA to supplement my ESA, luckily I insured myself against disability (I even considered cancelling it to save money thankfully I didnt) so my mortgage is covered (as long as the interest rate doesnt go too high.) It would be nice to know whats happening instead of having to worry about waht could happen.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Surely established claims should remain unaffected. It's the new claimants that will have to establish that they are eligible. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Is Lynn back on the floor now?? :wink:

Feelin' better for that :?: :wink: Think Family allowance was invented partly because in the 2ndWW the soldiers were so unhealthy due to poor diet that a lot weren't fit for duty. Think the national ssistance act and the NHS came out of that too.

Theresa

I hope DD is right and it IS about 'new' claimants not existing ones.

Love

Toni xx
  • salamander
    Options
    I listened to the budget speech yesterday and Osbourne said it was for existing and new claimants.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    salamander wrote:
    I listened to the budget speech yesterday and Osbourne said it was for existing and new claimants.

Had a feeling that might be the case, Sally :(

Love

Toni xx
  • zechariah
    zechariah Member Posts: 222
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I have never understood child benefit - why do we pay people to breed? Have children if you can afford to support them: if you can't, don't.

In my opinion that is very harsh and extremely ignorant!
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    If it's atos doing the medical's we are all screwed!

I'm employing my Mum to be my 'carer' (which is a word I hate!) through the council, if I couldn't employ her I'd have to employ a stranger from an agency. They would cost more therefore would do less hours, wouldn't do half of what my Mum does and I would have to entrust them with my child (I wouldn't be able to leave them alone as they are not checked). Being able to employ a family member is a fantastic relief.

It's a terrible worry for everyone with this uncertainty. I do believe that we all have to help get ourselves out of the mess but there are so many areas where I can see money being saved that is just spent needlessly.

Anyone agree that the money spent in the NHS seems to run out by the time its filtered through the management layers and doesn't reach the ground floor i.e the patients?

Was it mentioned in the budget what the g'ment were doing about people who claim every benefit and have no intention of getting a job and contributing? The people who have their health but can't be bothered in getting a job?

Give me ten minutes with David Cameron and I could save him LOADS!
  • fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    Options
    the following is the basics of a email i sent mr osbourne after the budget when i'd calmed down abit not alot abit:

"I have just viewed your emergency budget and are dismayed but not surprised that once again be it a conservative/labour government etc in power you have singled out the ill and disabled without due thought to the consequences.
    Are you not aware of the stress and upset these medicals are going to cause, we as disabled suffer enough at the hands of our consultants but that is done for our health not to make us sacrificial lambs as is done every time a government needs to raise cash.
    Stress is a killer-proven fact, honestly i don't think you able bodied people have a clue what its like to be in constant pain,exhausted and despairing from whatever disability we suffer from. These medicals will make us ill more so than what we are now or does this government not care or choose to ignore that fact?
    I agree the country is finacially in a mess and by all means route out those who are fit but please don't use companies such as ATOS Healthcare (i'm sure your minister for DWP can brief you on that farce)
    Once upon a time a consultants medical report was taken as truth regards the patients medical condition be it physically and or mentally and their ability to work, is this no longer the case or are your government and others before you saying they are liars?
    People do get ill and disabled, an inconvenient truth but a truth all the same,please do not punish us for something that is not our fault."

Doubt it will accomplish anything but what the hell eh!
    Steve
  • zechariah
    zechariah Member Posts: 222
    Options
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Val

That is disgraceful. Why should they have this payment when they live abroad?? It certainly doesn't make any sense. It's like giving regular amounts to other countries - we're having trouble with our housekeeping how can we afford to support others?
    It is madness and it needs sorting.

Sharmaine

valval wrote:
    i do not understand why we pay cold weather payments to people living in spain and cyprus were talking to couple the other day and they were saying they recive it does not make any sence does it val
  • salamander
    Options
    Well put Steve.

People are entitled to cold weather payments abroad for the same reason they can claim their pensions abroad. They have worked all their life and paid taxes so where they chose to live is neither here nor there.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I dont receive DLA ...got OA and had THR and waiting for the other one to be done but I sympathise with the people that really are entitled to it....it seems as if you have a hard enough job getting it anyway before this budget came out.
    Someone said about losing their DLA and really needing their blue badge...as far as I know the 2 arent linked....I've got a blue badge but no way could I get DLA so I wouldnt worry about that.
    Yes I think we all know the scroungers that limp around and then when they think no ones is looking are runnning about or the single mother claiming every benefit under the sun and it not going where it should go...I know a clouple of ones like that.
    As for the heat allowance....if they are abroad and are/were receiving pensions why shouldnt they get it? I lived in Australia for 2 years {I know thats not where we are talking about LOL} but when you have lived through the Australian summer the Australian winter feels just as cold as it is in Britain....so I assume Europe will be the same...not hot like it would be for just going over in the winter for a week or so.
    Child Benefit......I think thats pretty harsh DD {sorry if it wasnt you that said it} The last lot did go a bit over the top I think....but when I was a kid my mother got it {family allowance} for the second child {not the first} seems to have changed now to the first child. I think the majority of mothers keep that money for they kids.....OK a lot wont I know
    Right get off your soap boax Hileena LOL
    Love
    Hileena
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    So many thoughts, so many clear ideas of whats wrong and whats right. The idea I was trying to get across is not to leave vulnerable people in suspense and at the mercy of uncertainty for however long this 'review' takes, a very unfair system that is bound to change the guidelines for dealing with each claim, towards the governments aim of reducing the welfare states budget.

Most, who are fit and able will carry on through life with barely a thought to what is going on, my sympathies are with those that are vulnerable to self doubt and are at the mercy of their bodies frailties.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    LIke Steve's letter...

well done hope you felt better after writing it?

I dont understand why they PAY kids to stay on into the 6th form??? They give them up to £30 a week - maybe to keep them off the jobless stats?? This isnt given to teh parents - no not to feed them.

Those who earn more than £30 joint income get nothing, but their friend at the next desk has £30 a week to spend :roll:

Probably done that moan already :oops:

Sorry

Toni xx
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Oh I have already written to the Prime Minister, to say that those of us who have faught long and hard to get our awards and are in need of care and supervision, due to a range of long term and progressive medical problems, should not be forced to jump through yet more hoops when the time comes.
    By all means, weedle out those who are up and about running and playing football, or doing jobs, whilst still claiming that they are unable to walk, we see them in the tabloids every day. But don't punish us who will not get better and have real life changing problems. We can do without the extra pressure of facing another ATOS Doctor how is pre programmed and probably rewarded, for failing people on their claims.

I doubt I will get a response, but I wanted to make my point. I will fight em tooth and nail. As you know it has taken a year of fighting to get an award increase and it has made my health worse at times, with the worry.

Stop paying awards to those who live abroad too.

Rant over, xxx Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I have no children as I couldn't, but I am in favour of helping families, especially of less well off children, as they are our future. Who's going to provide care for me if I get old and ill? Also, you don't need to be a Mum to care for children and get joy from them, with the added bonus, at the end of the day, when they start to get tired and cranky, I hand them back!

We all need to look at our lives and the society we live in and be determind to make it work, even if it means makeing sacrifices. This is only my personal opinion and I hope it doesn't upset anyone.
    Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Sue

I'm with you 100% and said much the same.

The country must invest in kids as they are our furure drs and nurses etc.

Having said that - maybe they shouldnt give out C ben after the first 2 kids??? or 3??

Love

Toni xx
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    What wasn't clearly stated in the budget, but has been found out by some newspapers in the small print, is that they want to get 20% of claimants off DLA to save money. This reeks of being a quota system and even people who fully qualify for DLA will be refused if too many people are eligible.

It is obvious that Atos will be used as they have succeeded in reducing the number of ESA claimants by various means. The DWP refuse to listen to any complaints, even though Atos are acting as their agents by producing the reports that they use to process a claim. When you have a public funded contract with someone, you cannot wash your hands of the consequences of your agreement as the DWP try to do.

Until the tests start, no one will probably listen to any complaints. It is, for them, an untried system that they will never need to use themselves. If in future, anyone feels that they have not been treated fairly, then email the DWP and every MP, newspaper, TV and radio station that you can find online. Even if only a few of them respond, it is still bad publicity and brings the DWP into disrepute and a case of them being unfit for purpose.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif