Leg, knee and wound pain

Options

Comments

• mjking
    mjking Member Posts: 145
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Gosh, that sounds painful! Lean a lot on these forums.

At least I know mine can be cured.

Are you able to work or get out and about at all?

Mike
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Mike

Sounds like you are making steady progress - that's great !

The hospital where I had my hip done sees 'straightforward' patients in the outpatients 13 weeks after discharge.. so, I've only seen the district nurse once (to remove my staples) and I've seen my GP recently about the leg swelling and purple patches on my leg (which are due to poor circulation and blood pooling in the lower limbs).. other than that - no - I've been left on my own!! I am going to tell them at my out-patient appointment that I would have liked more support after dicharge!!!

Are you planning to go back to work Mile? I am hoping to go back on 9th August (ie 13 weeks post op)..

Best wishes

Marion
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi Marion

As things are at the moment, I am planning to go back to work - depending on what the surgeon says on 10 Aug - when my sick note from my Dr runs out.

That would be 13 weeks from the date of the first op.

I am due to have the other hip resurfaced too and the date for that, and the need to be fully recovered from the 1st op, may influence when I go back too.

I must admit I'm pretty bored at home and would like to back to work ASAP!

Mike
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hiya Mike :D

great to hear you sounding so positive. :!: it's a good sign when post op you start to think about going out/ a return to work / 'normal activity isn't it?

didn't realise you have the other hip to be done :? but I guess if your ortho's like mine he'll want to wait until all is settled with the first op before putting you on his list for the next :?:

hope you've planned / booked your anniversary dinner :?:

Iris xx
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi Iris

To be honest, I found the time right after the op - esp. the first night in hospital pretty tough and I had a bad week last week.

Its kind of put me off the 2nd op and - amazingly - at the moment the other hip isn't giving me as much pain as before the 1st one was operated on!

I'm away in Torquay next week (got the OK to travel as long as have break to walk around every hour - I'm not driving!) and it will be interesting to see how I bear up!

My wife has hired a wheelchair for when we get down there and my son has promised to push me about, if I need it!

Should be fun!

Mike :D
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Ahh that is why you haven't been posting. Hope you are having a good week away and that the journey was ok. The wheelchair is a good idea if a lot of walking is involved and also if at a venue where the seating is no good. Bet you will do more walking without even realising it.

speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • mjking
    Options
    Evening Everyone!

Came back yesterday after rainy week in Brixham. Hired a wheel chair there (£20 for 5 days, not bad) but didn't use it at all!

Did a fair amount of walking (with single crutch) including a trip on a ferry!

Legs did pretty well though I made sure I took my pain killers all the time. Mostly have muscle pain though the caravan mattress was a bit hard on my wound!

I think the walking has strengthend my muscles.

One big problem I had all week (& have had since coming out of hospital) was sleeping. Wake up evry hour & need the toliet. Usually get back to sleep first couple of times, then takes a couple of hours before I can nod off again.

Partly the pain but mostly - I think - sleeping on my back.

Hope I get the OK to sleep on my side when I see my surgeon on Tuesday.

Hope everyone else is doing well .....

Mike

:)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello you, it's lovely to have you back! I have been wondering how you were getting on, and stuff sounds good. I'm glad you enjoyed your week. Take care, chat tomorrow. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Mike, shame about the weather, but great about the walking.

Yes, I remember the waking to go to the loo every hour and the trouble getting back to sleep marlarky. Gradually the hour stretched to 2 and then 3 and finally 4 hours ...

Let us know how you get on, on Tuesday.

When I first was allowed to sleep on my side again it was bliss to be able to fall asleep straight away - funny though as at first I would wake up on my back again.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Mike

Sounds like you are making really good progress.. all that walking will have been very good for your muscles.... and getting on a ferry too - very impressive!

Look forward to hearing what the doctor says to you on Tuesday..

Marion
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Managed to sleep from about 11 pm until 4.16 am last night! Best night's sleep since I left hospital.

Funnily enough, still very sleepy today; nodded off twice in the chair and had '40 winks' in bed around 11 am!

Everything else seems OK though the wound is still a little sore.

Looking forward to seeing the surgeon on Tuesday. My wife and I have a list of 19 questions to ask - so far!

Mike :)
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Mike, I think that is common, when you start catching up on sleep missed - you feel even sleepier and need more ... perhaps because the body is not used to such deep sleep?? Who knows...

Looking forward to hearing everything consultant says!!! The questions are bound to be ones we all want answers to!!

Is it the scar which is sore or the soft tissues?

Speedy
  • mjking
    Options
    Not sure Speedy but its much better this morning!

:D
  • speedalong
    Options
    That's good then.

Speedy
  • mjking
    Options
    Evening everyone - hope we are all as well as we can be if not as well as we'd like to be!

Its exactly 6 weeks since my hip resurfacing op. Not much pain from the wound or any part of the operated leg today.

Managed to walk to my local Co-Op and back with no crutches today - about a 20 minute walk there and back with no rest.

Felt OK though a little sore after.

Starting to feel the arthritis in my other leg more today which I think is a sign the operated on leg is feeling better!

Anyway, first meeting with the surgeon tomorrow. Looking forward to it as it seems positive so far.

Soon know ....

'night all

Mike

:)
  • marion1952
    Options
    That's very good indeed Mike for 6 weeks.. all that walking you did in Devon has paid off.

Look forward to hearing what the surgeon says tomorrow.

Marion
  • mjking
    Options
    Re "That's very good indeed Mike"

I'm starting to believe the resurfacing IS as good as people say, though its early days yet.

I do seem to have made a fairly quick recovery though I certainly don't feel up to returning to work yet - partly due to lack of sleep but also 'cause legs do hurt and I do mainly need to use 1 crutch.

Mike
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Didn't actually meet my surgeon today but his registrar.

All he did was looked at my wound ("fine") and lay me on my back. Got me to pull my knee up as far as I could. Checked to make sure the operated leg was same lenght as the other (though explaining go the medical student this wasn't really an issue with a resurface)

And that was it, though he had collected me from the waiting room and could see how I was walking.

He was a friendly chap and gave the following answers to my questions:

1) I can sleep on my side (non operated) as of now but he'd advise waiting another 6 weeks. Keep the pillow until then too. :(
    2) Can resume driving, having a bath and a shower as of today. :D
    3) No need to wear the stockings any more!! :D
    4) Can resume physical relationship with my wife but I'm not really up to that yet (Don't think she is, either! lol!) :?
    5) Can NEVER cross my legs again, not even at the ankles. :(
    6) Can play kick about football but avoide bringing my leg across my body - so kick leg straight!
    7) Give up the crutches whenever I want. :)
    8) Must NEVER bend down low enough to tie laces on the foot with the operated on leg. :(
    9) Very slight risk of dislocating the hip but fracturing it remains possible for ever but especially another 6 months or so. All the things about crossing legs etc seem related to this possibility.
    10) Can go swimming again. :)
    11) Continue with exercises for at least another 6 weeks.
    12) Not too happy about me returning to work for at least another 6 weeks. Interestingly, this was because its desk based and he didn't want me sitting still for long periods of time. WHen I do return to work I must have a full work station assessment done to get a desk of the right height and a suitable chair.
    13) Can give up the raised toilet seat as soon as I feel comfortable unless the toilet is lower than normal (Not sure if mine is/isn't but I'm still using the raised seat at least for now)

He didn't want to see me again for 10 months with this hip but as I need the other one operated on, wants to see me in 6 months time.

This is 'cause he'd like me to wait 12 months before having the 2nd op as I'd said the pain in the other leg was much less since the first op. 2nd op could be brought forward if pain gets worse (simply go via my Dr)

So all in all it went about as well as it could. Shame he's advised sleeping on my back for anoher 6 weeks but I seem to be getting a bit better at it so will continue.

And no more stockings!! Official!!

Hope everyone is doing well ....

Mike

:D
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Mike

This is very interesting..

My Occupational Health doctor was very insistent that I shouldn't sit for lengthy periods of time too ..

I didn't know about the not tie-ing shoe laces..

I'm surprised about kicking a football! When I have inadvertently kicked or moved something with my operated leg I really 'feel' it!

I didn't know about the potential long-term fracture risk either..

Sounds like you are doing really well .. don't 'go mad' now though will you!

Best wishes

Marion
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Mike,

wow - I'm jealous ... you walked to co-op - 20 mins walk and no crutches. Did you walk normally? I really limp without a crutch.

Interesting what consultant said. Never bend down to do your laces ever again??! What did he suggest? Does he prefer squatting to do them? Or sitting and bringing your knee up to your chest?

So what have/are you going to try out next? Keep us posted!!

Speedy
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi Marion

As you know, as 10 surgeons and you'll get 10 diferrent answers!

My guy was fairly young and seemed very cautious and I'll be discussing the meeting with my Dr. soon.

But I guess you can't be too careful?

My wife is telling me to take it slowly & I will as I really don't want to undo all the good work that my surgeon has done!

Mike
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Especially regarding no 4! That all sounds very good Mike, another positive appointment for someone. Is a resurfacing less invasive than a TKR? I suppose it must be but anyhoo well done to you too. Look after yourself tho - don't get too carried away! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi Speedy

I do limp when I first walk (with/without crutches) but it soon passes. I'm not up to walking loads without my crutch though.

As for shoe laces? You know, we didn't actually ask him though he had said I could bend my knee as far as I had for him when I lay on my back. To be honest, I've happily switched to slip ons and continue to use my sock aid. And since the op I don't need to use it for my non operated leg!

Next steps are keep exercising, walking each day, a little more without the crutch, ease back into driving and see about returning to work in another 6 weeks or so (so 3 months since the op)

How about you mate?

Mike
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Well that was a good report. Sounds as if everything was covered.

Very pleased for you.
    Are you going to keep the stockings :D:D

Best wishes,
    Ix
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi DD -

a Birmingham hip (resurface-replacement) is considered less invasive as you keep most of your hip bone; whereas with THR they remove the head of the femur.

The wound is the size of an ordinary THR scar - and bigger than a "minimally-invasive" THR scar - that some surgeons now do. They still have to dislocate the joint to get the metal cap on the femur and the cup into the pelvis socket.

The result is more like a "real" hip because you keep the same sized ball and socket.

Speedy