Leg, knee and wound pain

Options

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mike,

I have taken an executive decision and bit by bit have been breaking the rules ie now put socks on without gadget, don't really use grabber for dressing any more, no longer stick op leg out the back when picking thing up off floor, can sit on the floor (though not very comfy yet.)

Have slept on side (with strategically positioned pillow) and driven (gradually increasing distance) since 6 weeks. Am very pleased to be having baths as well as showers - but don't just step in, I transfer from perching stool.

I never use crutch in house or garden but still have to when walking out and about. Did a total of 3 and 3/4 miles today (according to pedometer) today - 3 seperate walks - BUT USED ONE CRUTCH. This is way more walking than before op - but I really want to be able to stop using the stick - I still rely on it.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • mjking
    mjking Member Posts: 145
    Options
    Hi Speedy

How long since your op?

I think I'll be following a similar route to you!

Mike
  • mjking
    Options
    Yep! To remind me of the pain they brought!

Also, I need to have a 2nd op on the other hip at some stage so I'll wash 'um and pack away to then!

Mike
  • mjking
    Options
    4 days now since my 6 weekly assessment and have been driving every other day since Wednesday.

No problems driving but do find both legs hurt, especially the next day. I seem to push down on my wound whilst driving and my non operated on leg (left) seems to hurt the most the next day. I think this is 'cause of it operating the clutch and not being used to it. Seems to get slightly better each time I drive.

Furtherest I've driven is about 5 miles (each way) into Sutton Coldfield. I've taken to using 1 crutch around the shops, mostly to lean on when I'm not walking.

Don't use any crutch around the house at all now.

Sleeping on my back is still a problem but just starting to get a little better.

Hope everyone is well!!

Mike

:D
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hiya Mike :D

Just catching up on your thread. Wow! you're making great progress:D

I've just started driving again after my TWR...but not very far. even so it felt wonderful to be behind the wheel again and it will be good on the ol' bank balance to stop having to use taxis all the time! :wink:

you said the reg didn't want you to think about a return to work yet...did he say when you could/ should go back? how're you feeling about that...will you need adjustments to be made so's you don't risk dislocating the hip?

Iris x
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi Iris

I'm in 2 minds about going back to work:

1) Bored sick at home and want to get back to work.
    2) Not sleeping well and have to continue on my back for at least another 6 weeks & can't really go back until sleeping better.
    3) After a day walking/driving etc I'm VERY tired the next day and have bad what I call muscle pains - not arthritic but due to under used muscles and having the hip resurface.
    4) Also, arthritris in the leg not yet operated on is starting to get worse.
    5) Don't want to rush back and damage by new hip.

So - signed off until end of first week in Sept. which would be 9 weeks off work. Will see how I am nearer time - probably go & see my Dr.

How about you?

Mike
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Mike

I went back to work last week, which was 13 weeks post op THR. I don't think I could have managed it any sooner.. I'm doing a 'gradual return.'

I had similar pains in my 'unoperated leg' when I first started driving again and also after sitting in a restaurant for 2 hours ... The following day, I could hardly move my unoperated leg.. I think they are either muscular or sciatica..

best wishes

Marion
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hiya Mike :D

sounds as though you know what you're doing with the timing of a return to work.......quite right!
    no point in setting yourself back for the sake of a few weeks...although boredom post op is a big problem. :roll:

Iris x

Marion....hope you have a good second week. :wink: xxx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Mike,

I too had pain in my unoperated leg after driving - so you had your right hip operated on? Marion and I both did too. I built the driving up bit by bit. I tipped the seat back down quite low when getting in and out and I have an arrangement of cushions on the driver's seat to counteract the slope (it slopes backwards.) I've now driven over an hour each way - including stop start in traffic and it seems ok. I'm 14 weeks on Wednesday. I have a check up on Thursday.

I'm doing more and more, but like you say I fatigue easily. I suppose that as I adjusted to my increasingly arthritic hip, I expected less and less of my muscles and this was over a long period and now suddenly I want them to start working for me again!!

We went to the park this morning and walked round lake - about 1 1/2 miles (according to my pedometer). My friend carried my crutch for a bit so I could walk without - I managed for awhile, but limped and then once tired I used the stick again. My friend thought I did well... I wonder if doing this helps the muscles to get stronger quicker or whether using the crutch has the same effect? I limp because the muscles in my op leg can't keep me upright as I move the other leg through, so I lean to the op leg side as I put the lift the other leg and place it infront of me.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi Marion

I think I'm looking at 13 weeks or so off, depending on how the next couple go.

Do you need a 2nd op or just the one?

My concern is my unoperated leg is badly arthritic and not very strong either, meaning I have 2 dodgy legs!

Both legs have been bad today following yesterday's driving and walking!

Mike
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi Speedy

I'm not sure if walking without the crutch strengthens the muscles or not. My wife is always worried I'm over doing it and I do suffer the day after.

But - I think - each time I suffer a little less and the muscles get a little stronger.

So far I've not really driven in much traffic so haven't had the stop-start, which I think would be hard on my legs.

My problem is at the moment, neither of my legs are very strong as I have 'severe' arthritis in the un-operated leg too.

Its trickly balancing act and I'm still not sleeping very well.

I guess no one said it would be easy & there are lots of people on this forum far worse off than me.

Mike :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Morning Mike, how are things progressing now? An update is required, please, about work, mobility and pain levels. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi DD

Its a mixed story to be honest - good day followed by not so good, sometimes for now obvious reason sometimes 'cause I think I over did it the day before.

Can drive OK but does make the un operated on leg hurt quite a bit!

Still having trouble sleeping though getting a bit better though very tired during the day.

Still have to use toilet seat!

Don't use crutch around the house but take it with me when I go shopping.

Dr note runs out in 2 weeks rtime so will see how I am then as regards back to work. I'm hoping but that hopeful!

How about you?

Mike :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sweet of you to enquire, I'm rubbish at the mo. I went out on Saturday night, the five minute walk home took me twenty 'cos I is currently walking on what feel like razor blades. Still paying for it pain-wise, but I will get a kick up the backside (I hope) when I stab myself in the stomach ce soir avec le humira. That's yer akchewal French, speshally for frogmorton who is in France.

You've had quite a big op mike, these things do take time to recover from. I reckon you are doing very well indeed - do the exercises, make sure you get some decent rest, you can do no more. It'll all sort itself out in the end. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    edited 23. Aug 2010, 15:53
    Options
    Hi Mike, sounds about right then!!

Good day alternating with not such a good day .. probably because you over did it on the feeling good day ....

Does the toilet seat bother you?

I would start putting a pillow between your legs and sleeping on your side ... your consultant didn't say you couldn't - just preferred you didn't it - I started doing it from 6 weeks - SO easy to fall asleep ... didn't sleep any better for a short time afterwards till stopped turning myself over onto my back again in my sleep and waking myself up.

Re the driving thing ... your due another op on that hip too aren't you? So might be a combination of your muscles not being used to driving anymore and the fact that you need that op sooner rather than later. Have you considered an automatic?

I'm the same with the crutch ... did you see my thread about giving up crutches post op?

Just seen time, must dash ... taxi-ing duties are called for.

Speedy
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Mike

I felt exactly the same as you a few weeks ago - there seemed to be no consistency in my improvement. One day my new hip woudl be fine and the next day not so fine..

However, when I reached about 14 weeks post op, I started to have a more sustained progress, and in the last 10 days I would say I have felt an improvement every couple of days...

I am using my crutch less and less now, but I am not in any hurry to get rid of it completely.

I am stiff when I first get up out of the chair, but that soon passes off as I 'get going.'.

I'm still using the raised toilet seat, but removed the 'surround' at about 14 weeks post op.

My other hip is OK, so I don't have the same problem as you in that respect.

I am in my 3rd week back at work this week, but am only doing 4 hours a day - but it certainly feels a lot longer than 4 hours!. I try to remember to have regular (every half hour) walks round the office and down the corridor.

Hope this update is helpful.

Best wishes

Marion
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi Marion & Speedy

Thanks - as always - for your helpful comments. I don't mind using the raised toilet in fact I find it helpful. I too have ditched the surround though Marion.

I guess its the lack of consistency that gets me down a bit sometimes. Mindyou, talking with my wife tonight I realised that if I ignore the pain from the wound area and the arthritis in my 'other' leg, my operated on leg is actually doing pretty well and seems freer than the other leg.

I suspect I may need the operartion on the other leg sooner than I'd hoped.

I'm determined to stick with the back sleeping Speedy, 'cause I think I'm getting used to it & it will help with my next op.

Talk soon

Mike
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Mike - I'm having an off few days and my hip is aching at the mo - hard to work out what it could be ... as am doing lots of "normal" things so trigger could have been any of those things or a combination or the walking and big effort to barely use the crutch .... good for you for getting used to sleeping on your back. Nuisance if need other hip doing soon but shame to have the good one spoilt by the other. Are you using any oil etc on your scar to help with elasticity?

Speedy
  • mjking
    Options
    No,I'm not Speedy!

Should I be? Or could I?

TA

Mike
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Mike,

a nurse recommended I used bio-oil (and babyoil with aloe vera is also very good.) Did help with the tight pulling feeling and used to put it on twice a day - but only rub it in very gently as tissues still very tender. Use it twice most days now, when I remember. In the early weeks post op - the pulling used to remind me that I needed to apply some.

Speedy
  • mjking
    Options
    Cheers Speedy

My wife has asked if there is anything we could use but I hadn't heard of anything.

I'll get some ASAP

TA

Mike
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    mjking wrote:
    Had a hip resurface 3 weeks ago and at first was in very little pain anywhere. Then on Monday this week I started to get quite strong pain in the knee and thigh areas of my operated side. Then yesterday my wound was quite painful though it looks fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this pain flair up in this way?

Thanks! :)
    hi. 3 years post hip re-surface i still have pain in my operated side thigh. i can't lift it properly either. like you it was fine for first 5 weeks. sorry i can't give you better news :?
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi and welcome daylily,

I had a hip resurface-replacement in May this year. What sort was yours - was it a "Birmingham hip?" I'm sorry you are still having trouble with yours - have you had physio? What do the medics say about it? Do you walk with a stick/crutch?

SPeedy
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi daylilly

Sorry to hear you still have problems.

I had the Bham Way about 8 weeks ago now and most of the pain in the operated leg has gone now though the actual wound can still hurt.

My real problem is I have severe arthritis in the orther leg too, and have to have a second op!

I started to get better after about 6 weeks and now don't use a crutch at all around the house though take it with me when I go out.

Do you drive now? I started to a couple of weeks ago when I got the OK to at my first post op check up. That does give me some pain bvut again, mostly in my un operated leg.

What does your surgeon say abouut you still having so much pain?

Mike
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi and welcome daylily,

I had a hip resurface-replacement in May this year. What sort was yours - was it a "Birmingham hip?" I'm sorry you are still having trouble with yours - have you had physio? What do the medics say about it? Do you walk with a stick/crutch?

SPeedy
    hi. Yes it was a' birmingham'.Docs say my leg is an inch shorter now but they've not said anything else. They've x-rayed hip and it's fine so they're pleased with results. I still walk a fair bit, lobsidedly, but i get there. Don't think there's anything they can do. Middle toe on same leg is numb as well- nerve damage. All can be effects of hip op. so i'm told. Pain overall a lot better than the hip before so it's not all bad. I'm still glad i had it done.