Options
12346»

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Daylily,

I have a leg length discrepancy too - I wear a heel raise in my shoe - I don't think it totally evens out my leg length (I already had a leg length discrepancy from my THR on the other leg years ago and this op instead of correcting it - slightly increased it.) Do you have a heel raise - it does help - I limp less when using it.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Daylily,

I have a leg length discrepancy too - I wear a heel raise in my shoe - I don't think it totally evens out my leg length (I already had a leg length discrepancy from my THR on the other leg years ago and this op instead of correcting it - slightly increased it.) Do you have a heel raise - it does help - I limp less when using it.

Speedy
    HI. I don't have raised heel yet. I'm seeing GP next week to try to sort everything out. GP for ortho is only in once a week so have to wait. :?
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    HI MIKE, I'M STILL GETTING USED TO THIS FORUM AND HOW IT WORKS. I WANTED TO REPLY TO YOUR POST BUT DON'T KNOW HOW.
    I STARTED DRIVING 5 WEEKS AFTER MY HIP OP (sounds like a dance!)
    I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY CONSULTANT FOR OVER 2 YEARS SPECIFICALLY ABOUT HIPS AND LAST ONE SAID AS HIP ITSELF WAS OK THEY DIDN'T NEED TO SEE ME AGAIN.
    I'M GOING TO BOOK A DOUBLE APPOINTMENT WITH GP NEXT WEEK AND GET SOME ANSWERS
    HOPE YOU CONTINUE TO IMPROVE
    ANNE
  • mjking
    mjking Member Posts: 145
    Options
    You are doing fine Anne!

When I saw the suergeon's registrar for my 1st post op check up he didn't want to see me again for 12 mths! I asked for a follow up after 6 months as I am worried about the arthritis in my other leg.

I guess its routine to them but to us .............

Good luck with the Dr visit!

Mike :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You're up late - how's things? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi DD

Is 10 pm late?

Actually, I'm tired by then but I know if I go to bed then I'll be awake by about 12 - and can struggle to get back to sleep. I tend to go about 11 pm and wake about 3 am and often about 5 am too.

I think its sleeping on my back but it is getting better & I'm sticking with it as I'll have to after my 2nd op!

Other than that, the operated leg is doing very well but the arthritis in the other seems to be getting worse! I think this is clouding over how well the other leg is actually doing.

I find both are stiff after sitting down for more than about 30 mins, so I'm trying to remember to do my exercises!

All in all, not too bad - how about you?

• dreamdaisy
    Options
    10pm is late for me! I know what you mean about the waking up - every 1 1/2 hours or so is the average for me, as by then pain is twanging 'cos I haven't moved. So, it wakes me, I re-arrange myself, go off to sleep again, then it twangs and so we go on. Due to two big surgeries fairly close together I have lost the knack of turning over in my sleep - when I knock myself out with Tramadol I wake up in the same position I went to sleep - hours without moving! Then of course, I move and it all twangs and the dance continues! Love it.

I am so pleased to hear that things are going well for you: you may well be more aware of the other leg as the operated one is feeling so much better! I cannot remember if you are due to get the other done: if you are, when, do you hope? DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Anne, that is good that you have an appointment sorted out - you could ask for a physio referral too ... as the heel raise will take a bit of getting used to and if the joint is supposed to be fine the problem must be the muscles, nerves and tendons and that is a physio's remit ... worth a try?

Hi Mike,
    I think DD might be right everything is relative - I'm much more critical of my old THR now I can compare it to my new op hip, also we automatically adjust our active levels when in pain and so as one leg feels better and is capable of doing more - the other one is struggling to keep up.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi DD and Speedy

Think you are both right! When I had arthritis in both legs it was harder to pin point the pain. Now I only have it in the one leg, the 'culprit' is easier to spot! :lol:

Mike
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    In an odd way, that is a good thing! DD
  • mjking
    Options
    True!

Just a bit annoying to have had one op and still not be cured! The registrar who saw me at the check up wantes me to wait a year before having the 2nd op.

I'm not sure I can wait that long - if anything, I'm more aware of the pain & restrictions in the other leg now!

Still, I can't complain 'cause this forum has made me realise many people are far worse off than me! :)

Mike
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    How long did you wait to have the first one done? I believe that it takes some time for everything to settle after a big op like yours: you need to be really secure with the new joint before they do the second: having said that, people do, occasionally, have both done at the same time. You coped before with two bad joints: now, surely, it is a little easier with just one. Think positively! DD
  • mjking
    Options
    You sound just like my wife DD!

Apparrently - and maybe only in Bham - the max anyone waits for this op is 12 weeks from seeing the surgeon.

Certainly that was the case with me but my blood pressure was too high to operate on, so there was a delay whilst I got it down.

The op was rearranged within 10 weeks of the BP being low enough.

You are right about needing as much time as possible to recover - I'm just in a rush! :lol:

Mike
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Mike,

you need to feel confident that your new op leg is strong enough to take over the main role of being the lead leg. My consultant seems to thing it can take up more like 6 months for the muscles etc to recover. When is your next appointment is it in a years time or earlier? 12 weeks were the government targets for waiting for the op - under the new government this might change - no harm in getting in touch with consultant at 6 to 9 months post op - so that you aren't waiting 12 months + 12 weeks (or more) for the op...

Speedy
  • mjking
    Options
    You are quite right Speedy - my consultant's registrar, who saw me at the 6 week check up, said 12 months before seeing me again and then decide on date for 2nd op.

When I said I was concerned about the severity of the arthritis he made it for 6 months.

Today I've walked the dog and had no real pain in my operated leg at all but quite a bit in the other leg.

But I know I need to give the operated on leg time to heal properly before even considering the 2nd op.

• speedalong
    Options
    Hi Mike, good that the ortho is seeing you in 6 months, especially since the other hip is giving you problems. Will work be ok for you having a second op so soon to the first one?

Speedy
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Short answer is, they have to be, I'm legally entitled to up to 6 mths off and full pay in any 12 mth period and between 6 and 12 mths off on half pay.

In practise of course, employers can be difficult but I work for a very large Local Authority in the Midlands and my immidiate boss is fine about it.

She's expecting me to take off somewhere between 3-6 mths per op though exactly when she - obviously doesn't know.

I'm seeing my own Dr next Friday to discuss this matter.

I'll keep you posted!

Do you still work yourself?

Mike
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Mike :D

been following your thread closely but staying in the shadows listening to all the good advice from the other 'hippies'.

just wanted to let you know I'm still about and interested in what's happening. I hope your plans for the second op fall into place..... you'll be dancing before long. :lol:

'Hi' to Mrs Mike too.:mrgreen:

Iris x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Mike,

I teach children with special needs. I'm currently offsick. I need to be cautious about timing my return as my job is very physical especially since my boss, in his wisdom :roll: has decided I should teach little ones next year instead of teaching the older pupils as I usually do .... this will involve sitting on the floor, sitting on low chairs, lots of bending, chasing and constantly sitting down and getting up again ...I'm entitled to the same sickleave arrangements as you as I too work for the local authority.

Speedy
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Mike

Glad your operated hip is settling down well.. Unfortunately, as you say, when you sort one problem joint out, it does make you notice your other problem joints more!

I think I have the same sick leave as you too .. 6 months full pay (and then 6 months half pay) in any 12 month period...

It sounds like your manager is very understanding..

Marion
  • mjking
    Options
    Morning Everyone!

Been up since about 5.00 am today - just don't seem able to sleep all night as still on my back!

I really do think the pain in my un-operated leg is getting worse AND its stopping me realise how good my operated on leg is!

Still got a little pain in the wound and a bit stiff after sitting still but the dreadful arthritic pain is 100% gone. My wife thinks is the fact that my operated leg is so good that's making me more aware of the pain in the other one.

I think she's right!

Just need to make sure I don't put too much on the operated leg too soon. Its 2 months since my op, which is really no time at all!

Hope every one is good today?

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Mike
    Speedy told me to read your thread.....I'm having similar problems.
    Had my THR beginning of last Feb....previous to that I wasnt too bad!!!!! I was balanced....2 wonky hips LOL
    Had 1 THR done ion Feb and since then havent been able to walk as far as I used to be able to, couldnt sleep.....i've not been on for a few weeks but previous threads i've had on here....Cant sleep cant sleep....I kept waking up with pain about 4 or 5 tims a night...So because of the op I'm unbalanced LOL...one good hip and one bad hip. I think I'm compensating for things by putting most of my weight on the goodhip so causing more pain.
    The good thing is I've only got 6 weeks to go before my 2nd THR...so that will be about 8 monbths between the two operations.
    we've sorted the sleeping out now {more or less}....Gp just kept trying different things at night untilwe found one. I'm on paracetamol during the day.
    Love
    Hileena
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi Hileena

Thanks for your comments.

I think you are rigtht about putting too much pressure on the unoperated on leg.

I tend to take ibrupofen for the arthritic pain. I took Paracetamol for the pain in my wound but that's almost gone now.

In fact, I think my operated on leg is pretty good now and its making me more aware of the pain in my other leg!

Good luck with your 2nd op!

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Mike
    Thats good that you are feeling the difference in the operated leg....I'm not really. OH well......poss after the next one and the 6 week recovery period I'll see a difference

Love
    Hileena
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi Hileena

Remind me, when did you have your first op? How long ago?

Mike