Ideas to make life easier

Options

Comments

• lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Kitchen cupboards

Just thought of another simple one - a while ago I bought big plastic boxes to put in the kitchen bottom cupboards (just pull them out like drawers) looking for something today I relised I should share this with you.

I really bought the boxes to increase usable cupboard space - you know how it is reaching to the back of the cupboards but today I realised that without the boxes I would not be able to use the bottom cupboards at all at the moment. I got boxes with lids to keep things clean. Someday I will lable what is in the boxes to make it easier to find things.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    I've seen a 'step' with a long handle to it which you can use to step up to the bath and hold on to the handle.. it was in the mobility shop. It is quite sturdy, but quite expensive ( about £32 ) I think.. you could probably find it in one of the disability aids catalogues.

(I just stand on a sturdy/low pine box, hold onto a hand rail, turn sideways and then step over the side of the bath - operated leg first..)

Marion
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    Use a pasta bowl instead of a plate, much easier, holds as much as a plate but has sides so it wont end up every where.
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    ring pull cans - use a spoon through the loop as a lever so much easier on the fingers

i don't know where you can buy this stuff but my OT just gave me some, I guess a disability supplier should have some but she gave me this plastic mat/cloth which is ultra sticky without being actually sticky, helps with gripping and you can lay it on the table to keep plates / bowls in place which is very useful when eating with one hand. I'll try and find out what its called.

Chrissie
  • lululu
    Options
    Hi got an idea to help lift a gammy leg in the bath etc. - got a rope about 3ft long and tied a loop in it I can put my foot in the loop and help the mussles to lift.

lulu
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi my husband bought me a plastic hook like thing that you put in the ring and just gently pull the lever off the can. Its changed my life, I've always had trouble with ring pull cans and as the top comes of easily its more controlled, safer and not messy! Thats one little CHEAP thing that really makes my life easier!!! :lol:
    Small things please small minds!!!!! :oops: :D Love Sue
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    a) I have a laundry basket which is on wheels and waist height which means I don't have to bend so often or lift heavy washing.

b) We raised our settee by buying 4" sofa legs and it means I can get up and sit down without anyone helping me.

Sharmaine
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    I have got a hot touch. You fill it like a kettle (I have a jug at the side of it) & it boils the amount of water you need just for one cup of tea/coffee etc in seconds. No need to lift kettle as you put your cup underneath it & it fills it. so you walk away with you cup of tea or coffee.

I also got an electric knife with a simple to use finger trigger switch underneath it - it also has an ergonomic handle. I will try it out on my sunday roast & i'm sure its going to make my life so much easier

Now i have a tomato slicer too. It sits nicely on the chopping board,clamps your tomato as you hold the gadget & you slice it through the gaps in it.Let go & your tomato is perfectly sliced, I also use mine for onions.

I have elecrtic tin opener too & have just got to get the electric jar opener & hopefully my kitchen is equiped with gadgets to help my poorly hands.

debs (whos now off to make another tea )
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I put a damp dishcloth under our chopping board - or if you are lucky to live near a certain Nordic furnishing company they make a board that has a lip that goes against the edge of the worktop. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 17. Sep 2010, 10:42
    Options
    When I'm carrying drinks on a tray I put a piece of kitchen roll or a serviette underneath the mugs/glasses this stops them sliding on the tray and any spills are absorbed by the kitchen roll.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    This might not help many but I know some of you have horse....

Carrying bales is easier if you use a pushchair rather than a barrow......Best to take the child out first though :wink: Cris x
  • lululu
    Options
    Hi Folks, nice to see the ideas still coming in.

Someone mentioned the silicon egg poach pods - I have looked at these for ages - seemed good but as I am addicted to kitchen gadgets I am trying to resist as I have cupboards full to bursting with things I have never used, Anyway after the mention of the egg podds I decided to get some, this morning was first-time use and guess what - the most beutifull poached eggs ever, just perfect! and a bonus , the pan stays clean
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Yep you honestly can't beat a fresh free-range egg.... Hey I use a bit of vinegar in the water, it stops them from sticking and I think helps hold the white together better but cus these are fresh the white doesn't splat out. Hope you had a good night ((( ))) from the lodgers and me :D Cris x
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    This is a good thread. I invested in a steamer a few weeks ago as teaming the potatoes and veg is very sore on the wrists.
    It's brilliant. I fill the water bit with a plastic jug and the water turns into steam so nothing very much to empty when the veg are done. Veg tastes better too and there are no saucepans to wash, the steamer is hard plastic and very easy to wash, it does'nt really get dirty anyhow.
    rita :)
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Options
    When you have a shower and the towel is wettish drop it on the floor stand on it and walk it round the floor making sure you push it into the corners with your toes then put it ready for washing in the bag you throw down the stairs avoiding the cat then drag to the washer :lol:
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    I love my slow cooker, far easier than trying to lug casarole dishes in and out of the oven, ive even roasted a chicken in mine, yum yum

i have two, one small for just me and the girls and a bit bigger one for when me son is home also.

coco xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    when I was at the dentist t'other day, I mentioned the difficulty I have with holding the toothbrush and turning it in my mouth to brush all my teeth... tried an electric toothbrush but that's no better.

She said.. straight away.. buy a hollow rubber ball, cut slots top an bottom and insert the brush into it. Gives an easy to hold grip and will let you turn the brush in your mouth without difficulty.

...turns out that her hubby has RA affecting his hands too.!
    In exchange I gave her info about Biologic Therapy (she'd seen this written on my med form )... that she will now pass on to her OH.

Iris x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Thanks webmanager :D

Replacement wrists and fusions also set off the alarms.... so this will come in handy!

Iris
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I have, today, bought an Oreck upright vacuum cleaner (as recommended by Collywobble [Lynn - thanks]) The handle is designed so as not to put strain on fingers, wrists and arms and it also is lightweight - only 4kg.

I did go into the shop and try it and others first before buying, I even made sure I could change the bags for when necessary ......try before you buy is a must for everyone on here when investing in new equipment.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • lynnhb
    lynnhb Member Posts: 62
    Options
    These take a while to adjust to as they can feel peculiar, but microfibre towels are wonderful as they are so lightweight. For people with troublesome hands or difficulties lifting things they are great. I also like them for holidays as they pack small, weigh little & dry extremely quickly. Wash on a low heat setting to save energy too. These are not too expensive.
    If you haven't already tried them, have a go.
    Lynn xxxx

Can be bought sometimes at Lidl & Aldi, & have seen them on TV channel QVC.
  • whalewatcher
    whalewatcher Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Does anyone else have trouble opening those bleach bottles where you have to squeeze & turn the cap at the same time? Try using the garlic crusher - put the bottle at the end where you put the garlic then use the legs to squeeze & turn. This gives you something to hold on to & doesn't need so much strength in your fingers.

Make an ordinary pen fatter by wrapping an elastic band round the part you hold to write. Cheaper than buying a gadget & you can make it any width you want.

Val
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Many great ideas folks, I will try the plastic bag out today :P
    My 'could not do without' item is a long plastic shoe horn I use it for the purpose intended and also the hook on end for dressing and for putting cream on hard to reach places. Being plastic it is very smooth and washable as well. Linda
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Re Lululu’s request for ‘cheap or preferably free idea for making life a little easier’. I have a sort of multi-tool - a kind of ‘Swiss Army Knife Aid’ which can make most tasks easier and will actually do them on its own if programmed correctly. It’s called a ‘Husband’ and, although it’s not free, and definitely not cheap, it will vac, dust, cook, clean, hang out the washing, scrub my back and other assorted inaccessible bits (The list is increasing) and subsequently help to dry them. It will scrape the disgusting grime from the cooker, lay carpets, mow the lawn, open wine bottles and act as taxi driver. It is truly an amazingly versatile device.

At this point you’re all clamouring to know where you can get one but, first, let me list the disadvantages. Despite its ability to accomplish most household tasks, the husband will tend to create two jobs for every one it deals with. If it washes up, someone will have to dry the floor & remove all the gunge from the plughole afterwards. If it cooks, someone will need to de-grease the kitchen and order more veg. Sometimes the gadget will simply go into ‘sleep mode’ for no obvious reason and no amount of button pushing will restore it to its normal functioning state. When it does this it emits low, increasingly loud sounds, just like snoring, and it can happen anytime, anywhere. It occurs most evenings and after extended use but other known triggers are boring visitors, church sermons and long concerts. The husband is an excellent wheelchair operator provided it does not have access to alcohol. The latter sends it automatically into ‘superfast’ mode in which kerbs, road bumps and other obstacles are negociated at Olympic speeds. If the wheelchair occupant falls out as a result, it is most unlikely that the husband will register this. Occasionally you will mislay your husband completely. Don’t worry. This is quite normal. It will usually turn up on the golf course or in the nearest hostelry.

If you are still resolved to get a husband, I would advise a small or medium sized one. The large ones, while wonderfully warm to hang on to in bed (No microwave needed) do tend to lie diagonally and reduce the owner to a huddled ball, clinging desperately to the edge. They are also magnetically attracted to duvets, blankets etc in winter though, in summer months, the magnetic poles seem to reverse and you will wake up in the night, lathered, beneath a double layer of bedding.

All told, however, the husband is well worth persevering with. I’ve had mine for over forty years and most of its functions are still working more or less perfectly though it does need the odd overhaul from time to time. In fact, the only gadget around which is more durable, versatile and quicker at multi-tasking is, I believe, a wife. Does anyone know where I can get one?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Just a quick tip for those of you like me that have trouble getting comfortable at night, it's not ideal but I have a 5ft feather bolster that I use to get comfy on a night, I 'drape' myself over it when laid on my sade, this does help a fair bit..

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    First off, thanks to all for the warm welcome. I note that Legs welcomes me ‘to the madhouse’ & Cath tells me I’ll ‘do well here’. Thanks guys…….I think.

Seriously, you’re all amazingly creative. I’ve just read the entire thread & agree there definitely ought to be a book, proceeds to Arthritis Care. Can anyone draw? Little cartoon illustrations – or even line drawings – would look great. We could have Lulu doing her impression of a whirling dervish on her Tesco bag, DD and others flattening the dog, postman etc with balls of laundry, Iris brushing her teeth with the aid of a ping pong ball and, my favourite images, Legs circling the hairdryer and Julie throwing her hat on her head. Wonderful stuff! You clearly all know how to put the Art (of laughter) into Arthritis. Long may it continue.

Now here’s a couple more:
    1. If you’ve a bad knee, it’s easier to come downstairs backwards (A friend used to comment that he never knew whether I was coming or going).
    2. When staying with our son, and using his Jeep, we buy a 12 pack carton of beer to use as my step into the vehicle. Afterwards we drink the step and repeat the process as often as necessary.

Cheers, everyone.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright