Ideas to make life easier

Options

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Have you got adapted cutlery - the ones with thick handles? You can buy them from disability aid shops or if you have an OT they'll be provided free of charge.

A small tip for anyone with similar problems is that when you eat out either take your cutlery with you or ask for your food to be cut up in the kitchen. I do both and even ask them to wash my cutlery before I leave - everyone's always happy to oblige. :grin:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I have been finding books difficult to hold, so my husband bought me a K--n==l for Christmas. Its so light and easy to hold and you can get quite a few books free! When you choose a free book or buy one it is sent down the line so you don't have to wait.
    The only thing I find is that the keys are very small and its not easy to type when looking for things, but I manage, although I have to ask for help sometimes! You can also alter the size of the text, so if you can't see so well, you just increase the text size. I like my new toy anyway and reading is much easier now, :smile:
    Expensive to buy but worth it, I think.
  • BoleynBlue
    BoleynBlue Member Posts: 40
    Options
    It's not really a tip, but i use my grabber to get things out of the tumble dryer or put things in and out of the washing machine.

Long handled dustpan and brushes are also a godsend.
  • tattybags
    tattybags Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Topsy

I have exactly the same problem with plastic milk bottles etc. But some one bought me a great little contraption with a handle that you hold and wind a plastic strap around the bottle top then back through the handle then twist. It opens all my awkward bottles for me and doesn't take much strength.
    I have a feeling but don't quote me that they got it from 'Lakeland?'
    (sorry if I'm not allowed to mention names of shops) not sure of all the rules yet
    :smile:
  • donnas
    donnas Member Posts: 119
    Options
    Loved the Husband post - I'e never had access to one of those and cats are only good as hand warming devices but unreliable.

Most of my problems are hand/wrist related so my tips reflect that:

Picnic crockery and Travel mugs (lighter than regular crockery for the days when you're too weak and sore to lift things)

Electric toothbrush (I know it's already been mentioned but I find it so much easier than trying a normal one on bad days)

Use bum to push doors!

And housework - leave it, it doesn't really matter, does it?

I get shopping delivered - I live in a top floor flat and the men carry it up the stairs for me!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    We gets tons of Bramleys every year from our tree & have recently discovered L-k-l-nd have a device that peels them & chops them into a sort of long, thin spiral. It does work really well but you may find you need to enlist help as I can't manage to shove them onto the stick thing (But my hands have been rubbish for years). The good news is that my husband device loves playing with it. (Bribe someone to do it with offer of apples to take home.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    if there the bottles like bleach toilet cleaner etc where you have to squease and turn to open i use a nut cracker :shock: yep a nut cracker, i use the two bit that meet on the inside to squise the bit in and then turn it opens them enough to get past the lock bit and i can then just turn the lid and its off,

works for me mind i have had some strange looks and questions when people see a nut cracker in the bathroom if ive forgot to put it in the cupboard under the sink :lol:
  • LexyB
    LexyB Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi there,

I posted this in the walking stick handles thread, but it was suggested to repeat it here. I have been on crutches a few times, for long periods, and found the handles really hard on my hand. I borrowed some fingerless cycling gloves and they worked wonders, and they are padded under the balls of your fingers and on the bit under your thumb, which is just where you need it.

They are also really inexpensive (they start about £5/pair) and easy to get from any cycling shops or sports shops. (Cycling shops are better, as they will have more of a range and you can try them out to see how they fit and where the padding fits best on you).
  • donnas
    donnas Member Posts: 119
    Options
    I bought a book rest in a pyramid shape (it's like a beanbag), with a little bookmark on an elastic rope that holds the book for you.

It's brilliant, hands free reading! You'd have to get it online.
  • PhillyCee
    PhillyCee Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi Donna,

I also struggle with the child proof caps on cleaning products and tablet bottles, I use a monkey wrench. Unlike pliers you don't need a good grp, just twist the bottom until it fits the lid and turn...

Good Luck,x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    For all people who like gardening I've just invested in some ratchet pruners/secateurs (£7.99) which are brilliant for arthritic hands because they cut things in stages and you don't need to make a tight fist. I can at last tidy up my plants independently - what a treat for a girl :grin:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • coco67
    Options
    try a hair dryer to dry your feet or a little fan heater to blow warm air and dry your feet.
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Radar keys - one key which opens all the public disabled toilets in the country are available from county council offices for a small fee (4 years ago it was three pounds) - best value for three pounds ever.
  • lululu
    Options
    Consessionary bus tickets. another one to point out is that people who qualify for higher rate mobillity can also apply for consessionary bus fares. Forms are held at your local library. Can save a lot of fuel money if you are able to access busses.

Can also save one third on train fares, I am not familiar with this one but belive you simply provide proof of entitlement ie. DLA and pay one off fee of £10 at railway staion.
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Options
    never go somewhere empty handed never return empty handed always take an item with you and never come back empty handed if that makes sense. my other half always carries anything upstairs clothes laundry etc. I have a table outside just to take the washing basket and pegs so that I don't keep bending up and down. It's all about improvisation. The hardest thing I have found is compromise, patience and tollerence.
  • coco67
    Options
    saw this surgestion in a mag, use a radiator paint roller to apply moisturiser to your feet, saves bending.
  • 80squeen
    80squeen Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Have finally resorted to taping my razor to a wooden spoon to allow me to reach to shave my legs without putting my hip out!! :shock: It doesn't look pretty but it works - if I manage to tweak the design I'll let you know! Nobody can say we're not resourceful! :grin:
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    For TV's, DVD and lots of electrical appliances together, invest in a multi plug tower, with an on/off switch at the top, thus saving you to bend or kneel up and down.
  • lululu
    Options
    Don't know if it has already beem mentioned - the pill dosette boxes buy them in chemists and pound shops. vey usefull if like me youtake a pill and when you put the box away you don't know if you have taken it.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    There's a new gadget on the market for keeping books open at the pages so that you can read without having to hold the book. It's useful if you've got painful hands/arms. Here's a link to the info:

http://www.gimbleuk.com
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • wannabewriter
    wannabewriter Member Posts: 114
    Options
    This one just came up on another thread, but I thought it might be useful to people here.

My friend really struggles getting bank cards in and out of cash machines and those chip and pin machines all the shops have these days. She always has a small but sturdy soft grip clothes peg in her handbag (in fact I think she’s attached it to her purse with ribbon now!) as the rubber tip makes it easy to grip the card and also it’s not too difficult for her to press down on the easy-open peg as she doesn’t need to open it very far in order to get the slim bank card fitted in.
  • dopeykit
    dopeykit Member Posts: 107
    Options
    This is such a great thread.

I have a load of kitchen tips, I thought I'd start with veggies as they are a pain to deal with (sorry if some of these are covered elsewhere on this thread):

- prick hard veg like butternut squash and microwave for a few mins then let cool. It will be much easier to cut, or roast it whole and then scoop out the middle for soups and mash
    - keep your knives really sharp, it means you need to apply much less pressure
    - use an electric whisk to mash potatoes. Sounds mad but makes great mash.
    - get a couple of rust-proof nails banged into a chopping board, you can then skewer food when you cut it which makes it much easier
    - get a mezzaluna (a rocking cutter) for chopping beans and herbs
    - make your OH or teenager chop up a load of veg for you one day, then pop them in freezer bags so they are ready whenever you want to cook with them. I always give my OH chopping duties when he is in a bad mood as stress release :lol:
    - stick blenders are fantastic for chopping herbs, making soups etc and a lot less difficult to get out than a food processor
    - most veg chopping gadgets are rubbish but the ones you put veg into a bowl at the bottom and then push down a plunger are ok
    - drain veg with a slotted spoon rather than carrying pans of boiling water around or steam things in the microwave

Hope some of those help!

Kit
    www.cookingwitharthur.com
    Healthy, tasty recipes for living well with arthritis
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    To keep in a supply of milk, freeze a pint of skimmed but pour it into ice cube bags, you know the sort, the ones that make little balls of ice. Pop that into the freezer then if you run out of milk and can't get out, pop out one lump or two into a mug, thaw in a microwave for a few seconds and you can have that cuppa you are dying for. I know skimmed freezes OK, don't know about the other types of milk as we don't have those. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • coco67
    Options
    semi skimmed freezes well also
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Not sure if this qualifies as a simple idea but it might help a few ladies ; I have extreme pain in my shoulders lately and have found that changing to strapless bras has helped ! This might not be of use to those of you who are better proportioned but for booby souls like me , it eases neck and shoulder pain a little . Jillyb