Ideas to make life easier

Options

Comments

• lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes web manager I do not do fb or twitter so will not see it but I aggree with DD and SW it is a good idea so go for it.
  • jinger
    jinger Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I've recently seen some of these tips on Facebook and it reminded me of this thread (haven't looked here for ages!).

My hubby has a habit of cooking his sausages in the oven and it takes me ages to get my baking trays clean after (it's usually a good couple of hours before we get round to washing up or filling the dishwasher). We now use those reusable baking tray liners you can get. I think they are very thin silicone(?) covered and usually a mucky beige or black coloured? I tend to get them from the local pound shop and cut them to the size of my baking trays. So easy to get clean after and no more scrubbing my baking trays for hours on end to get the burnt bits off! I find the more expensive ones don't last any longer. They're also a Godsend on the rare occasions I manage to do some baking as I find I don't need to grease/flour the tray.

I also tend to use the crook of my walking stick to pull windows closed and gently knock the handles down.

If I have a jar of something that refuses to open, I gently but firmly knock round the edge of the lid on something firm and it seems to release the pressure so I can get it open. I sometimes use a damp tea towel to get a good grip on it too.

I make my neighbours chuckle when I use my Vileda Supermop to clean my ground floor windows. But I suppose a lot of these new-fangled mops will do the job too. (My hubby's barred me from using steps as I tend to fall off them due to my vertigo!)
    In a world where everything is a copy .... I remain an original
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Options
    People have probably come up with these ideas way before me but here they are anyway.

1. Hot water bottle opening - I put a skewer for kebabs through the plug thing and use it as a lever . Much easier to open.

2. Shower - I have a tap thing on the wall that is really quite stiff that you need to turn to put the water on . I use the shampoo bottle as a tool to push/ gently hit the tap round . Tap goes on easily for me that way.
  • Julie37927
    Julie37927 Bots Posts: 35
    Options
    When your muscles are strong all activities are a little easier. So my tip for living with arthritis and making your life easier is to stay strong!!! :wink: Even though it is harder for the arthritis sufferer to exercise, it is most important. One hour (or longer) walk per day will keep your back and leg and core muscles active and strong. If that is out of the question then there is swimming or biking. Keep active!!!!
  • GHitch
    GHitch Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I have recently been diagnosed with RA and shortly will be starting MTX tablets. Can anyone recommend suitable painkillers that can be used whilst on MTX? Normally I would take ibuprofen but my doctor has said I cannot take NSAID painkillers whilst on MTX and I have read that headaches are a common side effect of the medication.
    Thanks, Georgina Hitchborn
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello Georgina and welcome to the forum. I, too, have R.A. and have been taking methotrexate successfully for over a decade. I rarely get a headache - no more now than before I started the ,meth.

It's true that NSAIDS are not normally prescribed with meth though they can be under close supervision. Ordinary pain relief is OK though. It's best to ask your GP to prescribe something. Pharmacists are a good source of information but, if you're new to all this, I'd play safe. I always try to keep pain relief to a minimum but you'll almost certainly need something until the meth kicks in at least. The rheumatologist deals with the disease modifying stuff and the GP with the actual pain. Good luck :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GHitch
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the advice re pain relief. I am going to the hospital to see the nurse practitioner in a week to start the treatment. I have heard that some people get side effects and have to stop taking methotrexate, but for other people it works really well. I'm not sure how common the side effects are. Have you experienced any side effects when you started the medication?
    I am hoping it will work well for me :)

Georgina Hitchborn
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I don't know how common the side effects are. I guess, by reading these forums, you'd get a false impression because obviously people are more likely to post when they have problems. When everything's going smoothly we all just get on with our lives.

I guess the more usual ones are nausea and very mild hair loss ie the odd hair on the pillow in the morning and in the wash basin after washing it. The folic acid you'll be given is to counteract any side effects. The dosage seems to vary quite widely (I've always taken 2 per week: others take 1-6) but don't vary your own without consultation.

The blood tests are the important thing as they'll pick up any potential problems before they become serious. Even if there is a problem, you'll probably only be asked to leave off the methotrexate for a week or two.

I never worry about side-effects but I do treat the meth with respect. Get an annual flu jab as it can be harder for us to throw off minor illnesses and I hope the meth helps you as much as it does me.
    Steven Wright
  • GHitch
    Options
    Thanks for the info and advice. I guess there is always the potential of side effects with medicines but it seems methotrexate is one of the best to treat RA. Fingers crossed it will work well :)
  • Settler
    Settler Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Looking after my 2.5 year old grandson with osteo in my all fingers, hands and wrists has not been easy, but I refuse to give up my time with him, :),so I just bought a cot bed, waiting for mattress, don't know how I will get him to stay in it but we will see, I also bought a second larger step so he can get himself on to the toilet, still to try it out, the major problem is, tighten his car seat straps, they are 2 short to get a grip off, so going to go looking for a hook tool of some sort, this board gave me that idea
    Shirley
  • HannahT
    HannahT Member Posts: 38
    Options
    So happy that I found this board! Having spent the last hour reading through it all, these are some fantastic ideas. Now, of to implement my favorites. I hope I too will have ingenious and creative ideas of my own. If I ever do, I will be sure to post them here.
  • Bovey
    Bovey Member Posts: 25
    Options
    What a brilliant thread. I love reading. I find it helps to take my mind off the constant pain. I have an iPad and use it to access the library. I can download written and audio books free of charge. The audiobooks are easier as I find reading and holding the iPad difficult sometimes. Vacuum cleaning is a nightmare, painful ++, so I use an electric sweeper and vacuum less often. Also ironing is difficult, why do they make irons so heavy? I use a steam generator iron as it is much much lighter and does the job so much quicker. Picked it up for £20 on a discontinued shelf. I don't hang out washing, I use a small indoor rotary hanger for stuff that can't be tumbled. We have solar panels so electricity cost not an issue for us, we just love it when the sun shines!!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    As a newbie this is really useful.
    I have a fast boil type kettle that just boils one cup at a time and fill it using a jug.
    Shopping, get mine delived and have the bags put onto my kitchen worktop so I don't have to bend down to unpack them, and keep out on the worktop thongs I use frequently.
    I have a kindle, and also have a small book chair stand for it which I also use for my mobile. I also have a larger bookstand.
    Digital copies of magazines sent to my tablet
    At work I have a copystand to hold notes/documents I need to refer to when typing, have my keyboard sloped using a very inexpensive laptop stand from the swedish furniture store, a folding book stand, and a writing slope on which I have put a layer of dycem to hold paper still. Dycem is the name of the material that can be used to hold things in one place.
    Shower seat over the bath and a long handled shower/ bath brush
    A pick up thingy, and plan to get one for upstairs as well.

Now to order some strapless bras as I have a lot of shoulder pain so want to give that a try.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    I use frozen veg - cooked in the microwave. After nearly dropping the bowl full of veg and boiling water I found a simple answer. Use a pyrex jug! The handle does not get hot and the veg can be strained easily.
    Hope this helps someone,
    Fortuna
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    Options
    Use hairdryer to dry legs and feet when you cant bend down.

Put pegs round the bottom of your t shirt when pegging out the washing. That way you dont drop them.

Use a long handled feather duster (the extension sort that you do the ceiling with) to dust low shelves.
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    PS Fortuna

I have just microwaved some veg that needed longer cooking and the handle was quite hot!
    But still easier to manage with the aid of a tea towel
  • jen9432
    jen9432 Bots Posts: 37
    Options
    Those are all awesome, especially the blow dryer in the vase and the wriggling dry on the bed. My husband will get a kick out of those. I have a few more:

I have lots of stairs, so I pile stuff up on the right to go upstairs and on the left to go down. Everyone in the house knows this rule and is not allowed to walk past something on the stairs without picking it up. Only works with other people around.

I also sit on a stool in the kitchen and in the garden. I have a gardening seat that doubles as a kneeling bench and has sturdy side handles to help me up from kneeling, it also folds up. I got it from home depot in the states, works awesome! and enables me to garden!

I live in a townhouse that is tall (five levels) so I have lots of stairs. I spend most of my time in the kitchen and living room which are on two different levels with a balcony on the top level. My husband rigged a basket with a tray on a rope with an easy pully system so I could lower food, snacks etc from the kitchen to the living room via the balcony without having to carry it all. Just like in the movie "Rear Window", only the basket held the cute little dog. Works great but only when it is not raining or snowing! :wink:
  • Bonnielinda
    Bonnielinda Member Posts: 37
    Options
    What a brilliant thread! There are some really terrific ideas here. I especially like the cloths peg one. So simple, can't believe I hadn't thought of it before. I am sure I have a few ideas to contribute, but can't think of them right now. Typical! Will make sure I do, when my brain starts working again :)
  • lululu
    Options
    I think starting this thread was my best ever idea :roll: I can't believe it so still going so well, and where do all these ideas come from :?:
    another one I have used for a while now; I thought I would like to buy a clip to put on my shopper or scooter to hold a walking stick as I don't always need it but wanted to keep it to hand 'just in case' I priced the clips and would not pay the price so I made my own :wink: I cut- sort of sliced a plastic drinks bottle and fixed one slice to the top of my shopper and the top part of the bottle to the bottom of my shopper with cable ties - the bottle top hold my stick but allows rain water to drain. I would really like to trade mark this one I am sure it would sell well, it is so simple.
  • lululu
    Options
    I love the hairdryers ideas now I know what to do with a hair dryer that is too hot/fast for my hair!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Peter did that with my scooter ...only for crutches
    A round metal bit on either side at the back and a little cup bit at the bottom and the crutch just slips into it
    Hileena
  • Frustrated
    Frustrated Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Some fantastic ideas here - surprising that I already do some.
    For drying feet - shuffle on bath math. Wrap body in towel and go back to bed under the duvet to dry off after effort of getting out of bath.
    I can lift things better if I can do it with my forearms rather than hands or wrists.
    Clothing - wear at least a size up and lots of really stretchy jersey in my wardrobe (also doesn't need ironing).
    Don't handwash much but squash down with plug out rather than wring - then put in washer on spin cycle.
    Peg holding= not just on bottom of t shirt but all over it. Have a light clothes airer I use for drying too - outside as well as in if not windy.
    Do like to shop myself - make sure all frozen and refrigerated items separate as when you get home you then know what to put away straight away and what can wait until you've had a rest.
    Have a duvet and pillow on the sofa for when you can't face the effort of going upstairs.

And thanks Lululu for making me realise it's not just me going to neighbours half dressed some days for help.

Does anyone have any helpful tips re shoes? Other than very light slippers (and preferably bare foot or very baggy thermal socks) I'm finding it very hard to stand or walk for very long at the moment.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Frustrated wrote:
    Does anyone have any helpful tips re shoes? Other than very light slippers (and preferably bare foot or very baggy thermal socks) I'm finding it very hard to stand or walk for very long at the moment.

This is a topic that comes up regularly. Clearly a lot of people have difficulties with shoes. I have to wear surgical shoes but, from what I remember other writing, crocs, fit flops and sketchers are popular.

Before I reached 'surgical shoe status' I was told good trainers were best for supporting the feet. Slippers, or indeed anything soft and unsupportive, however attractive, just cause more damage.
    Steven Wright
  • Frustrated
    Frustrated Member Posts: 13
    Options
    No - I'm not for one second suggesting people who aren't struggling substantially should request a blue badge. However the questions asked at the time were could she cross the road? Could she walk the length of a bus? Not was she in pain doing so. Not did she have to stop after doing so in incredible pain. Not did she need me to keep leaving her places and fetch the car (thankfully I could then). Answering yes without also saying that you need a stick, it takes ages and you're in terrible pain can end up with the wrong decision made.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I had a problem finding front fastening bras that I was happy to wear. I had no luck in the usual shops and on line the only ones I liked were about £38. I found an american website with a great selection and even with delivery and taxes the ones I ordered came to about £23 each.
    You can pm me for the address or try and fit in the missing letters h*rro*m
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich