poorlypaws Member Posts: 12
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Error...an easier way to do up a bra :oops: any ideas
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    There's a recent thread on this entitled One for the Ladies by Slosh. I'll bump it nearer the top of the page for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello poorlypaws (which is a lovely username!) I have always done my back-fastening bras to the front, so I hook up, grind it round the body then lean forward and load. Undoing is the same in reverse, straps down, grind it round then unhook. Long-gone are the days when 'im indoors would happily unfasten said contraption. :(

Sticky bumped up for you a recent thread by Slosh - I hope you have seen it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • poorlypaws
    poorlypaws Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you found the other post too, simple solutions I hadn't really thought of, yay!
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I often wear fingerless gloves in the house in winter when my hands are suffering, so I can still get on with jobs, turn pages Tec.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Arthritis Care have teamed up with Roche and Chugai Pharmaceuticals to launch 'RA Unspoken', an exciting campaign aimed at helping people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) having treatment difficulties. RA Unspoken offers a downloadable diary to help people with RA record their treatment issues and a list of questions that frequently go 'Unspoken'. http://www.raunspoken.co.uk

Options
    This is not a numbers game.
    You could call it an information bulletin.
    I have posted on this site before about chat4change which is a
    selfmanagement course for a group of 4 5 or 6 people.
    One2one is a relatively. new course, where, as the name implies,
    the course is between just two people.
    The news is that AC has now got both courses running and about to start.
    If you are interested just log on to the AC website, click on the area
    where you live and follow the directions.

original submitted by ichabod6
    Copied here by Mod YEH
  • Littlemoose
    Littlemoose Member Posts: 3
    Options
    If you're on crutches then using plastic carrier bags Hung over the handles to carry things around the house. When my gf is out she puts my dinner in a pasta bowl to stop it slopping into the bag and then I just had to reheat it and put the bowl into the bag and hop (slowly!) to the sofa to have a TV dinner. Much better than perching in a tiny kitchen with no table.
  • KD88
    KD88 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi,

My gran has had arthritis in her hand for a while now but gradually getting a bit worse. She is now having difficulty using her TV remote with the small and awkward buttons. She has a Virgin Media box and just uses the standard remote they provided. Does anyone know if they offer an adapted remote which may be easier to use? Can't seem to find anything online so thought i'd try here.

Thanks
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hello KD88. How kind of you to look out for your gran. I've seen large remotes but, not being at all techie-minded, I don't know if they are specific to the machine. Might a large one be even heavier, though? I just hold ours in one hand (or balance it on the arm of the chair) and press buttons with the other.

I'm afraid not many people will notice your post on here. If you start a new thread you'll get more replies. I hope someone can help :D
    Steven Wright
  • KD88
    KD88 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello KD88. How kind of you to look out for your gran. I've seen large remotes but, not being at all techie-minded, I don't know if they are specific to the machine. Might a large one be even heavier, though? I just hold ours in one hand (or balance it on the arm of the chair) and press buttons with the other.

I'm afraid not many people will notice your post on here. If you start a new thread you'll get more replies. I hope someone can help :D

Thanks for the reply, I'll make a new thread for a wider audience.
  • lincolnshirelass
    lincolnshirelass Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I sometimes find it painful to mash potatoes but good old Lakeland are now selling an electric potato masher £35 - brilliant! it also has a changeable head which whips batter, meringues etc. :D

I do a lot of sewing & am always dropping pins on the floor which can be difficult to pick up if you have arther in your hands, I've got a magnet which has a telescopic handle extending to 2-3 feet. I can pick up anything metal from the floor with it - you get them from a DIY store or builders merchants.

Amazon used to sell a long handled bath brush but instead of a brush it had one of those lovely shower puffs attached to it, which is nicer to bathe or shower with. Perfect for washing back, feet etc. I bought one about 5yrs ago which is still going strong - only about £5 too.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Ladies,

Men are so lucky that they can stand to use the toilet!!!

For those of you who have problems sitting down for a wee use one of these silicone collapsible funnels. In their flattened state they can fit discreetly in your bag or pocket, they're easily washed and dried and are comfortable to use. They are easy to push into the funnel shape even for painful arthritic fingers. (I used to carry a small metal jam funnel for really bad knee days but these are much better. :wink: )

9b914343-232a-427e-9d8f-071fdd453dbb_zpsmuj39y4d.jpg

I bought mine from The Range (2 for £5) but Ebay and Amazon stock them too, they even come in funky colours!

(I haven't solved the problem of when you need to sit down for other toilet functions yet but at least you don't have to do that as often
    :oops: :oops: )

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I've just realised (a) that that sounds worth investigating and – immediately afterwards – (b) what a sad old biddy I am :o I used to get excited about....well....far more exciting things :roll:

I think a trial run from the safety of our own home will be required. In a public loo it will be one more thing to keep track of – trousers, knickers and handbag being the main other contenders – but I am encouraged by the fact that your every limb seems to be just as rubbish as mine and there are not many around to whom that applies :wink: Thanks for the tip.

As for the rest – in an emergency I have to rely on Mr SW's skills as a crane. I usually have to remind him to shut the door, his theory being that, as it's only the work of a few seconds for him to nip in, lower me and nip out again, I'm being a bit finicky. (I've yet to work out how to keep him in earshot for when I wish to exit. Maybe an umbilical cord with a walkie talkie attached?)
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I do think Sticky (Fellow-wreck) that being able to have a wee with ease and not wetting the back of knickers/trousers is really worth getting excited about. :jheart:

I've tried Shewees Shewee20Image2001_zpsymdehzce.jpg but find that you have to press it firmly to yourself in order to create a sealed fit and with sore fingers this doesn't always work.

With the funnel girls naturally wee downwards and therefore there's never a problem. Dry knickers and trousers everytime! :D

Hope this helps all those girls with similar problems.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh it's always a good idea not to get too excited. Who knows what might happen if we did :oops:

I have tried nothing other than faith, hope and prayer up to now. Anything that involves inflicting pain on one the few painfree parts of my anatomy is a no-no.

I have found it on Amazon and I think it will shortly be taking a trip to California. Thank you.
    Steven Wright
  • lincolnshirelass
    lincolnshirelass Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I've just bought the electric potato masher (called Masha by Lakeland) that I posted about earlier & tried it for the 1st time yesterday.
    Had some vouchers so only paid £20.

It's fabulous!!! Cut potatoes into about 1" cubes so they only took a few mins to cook (saving on electricity!), added butter & a full pan took no more than 10 seconds to turn into the most delicious, smooth mash with no effort by me. Absolutely no lumps & doesn't go gloopy either!

This has already become my favourite gadget! :D
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It certainly sounds good. Happy mashing :D
    Steven Wright
  • charrisse
    charrisse Member Posts: 89
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    I do think Sticky (Fellow-wreck) that being able to have a wee with ease and not wetting the back of knickers/trousers is really worth getting excited about. :jheart:

I've tried Shewees Shewee20Image2001_zpsymdehzce.jpg but find that you have to press it firmly to yourself in order to create a sealed fit and with sore fingers this doesn't always work.

With the funnel girls naturally wee downwards and therefore there's never a problem. Dry knickers and trousers everytime! :D

Hope this helps all those girls with similar problems.

Love,

Whilst that is a good idea for those who can use it unfortunately it means sort of folding oneself over to which I cannot do.
    I have got the sort of peeing utensil that are used for men but with an extra piece to fit on it and having used it on one occasion I was delighted not to have to struggle to get to the loo in time but then found I had actually been peeing on the floor.. and carpet at that!!

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F
    All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Im not really into lots of electric gadgets in the kitchen but a really good chopping machine is the Ninja. you put in your onions or whatever and gently press down on the top (no dexterity and v little pressure needed)Press for a few seconds for fine chopping or keep pressing for a pulp. Once youve used it you only have to easily take the blade and rinse it under the tap, and the jug part is easy to wash or goes in dishwashers (like a normal plastic jug-no fiddly parts) When mine finally died i instantly replaced it. they do sell them on QVC and often on special offer, and if you dont like it you can return it within 28 days (even if used) Ive found cooking much easier since using it.
    I also use steak knives all the time to eat and ask for them if I eat out as its so much easier to cut food up rather than struggling with a blunt knife.
    I have also found the 'perfect' mug which is bone china (light) but not too dainty in shape and with a wide handle for getting swollen fingers in...took me months to find the perfect one!
    I always use cross body handbags so I dont have to carry anything and the weight is distributed better. I have a big canvas one that I chuck the washing in and wear across my chest to carry downstairs.
    I try to have double of most things -one upstairs and one downstairs (specsavers 2 for 1 glasses...keep them on dfferent floors!). I keep a hoover upstairs and one downstairs.
    I have a memory foam topper on my bed and a memory foam pillow which I take on holiday with me. If I find myself sleeping on a hard bed at a friends house or hotel I put thick towels under the sheet to make a softer bed.
    Where my hair has thinned from medication I use Topix hair fibres which i just shake on the thin bits...no one notices!
    And i find Andrex toilet wipes are great to keep in the bathroom as you feel fresher if you can't actually manage a shower of bath that day
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi Trisha,

There are some great tips there, some of which I already do/use but forget to mention on here. :roll: I've just started using a steak knife at mealtimes but have a round ended one too for when I want to 'collect' food for my fork. I even use the steak knife for beans on toast because, even with adapted cutlery it's a tough cookie!!

Just another quick tip for everyone is to put an hankie or kitchen roll under cups on a tray when carrying drinks as it stops them sliding about even with an arthritic limp!

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    TrishaW wrote:
    I have also found the 'perfect' mug which is bone china (light) but not too dainty in shape and with a wide handle for getting swollen fingers in...took me months to find the perfect one!

I have my favourite mug but still use the two handed approach with my left hand underneath the mug. If push comes to shove when out I ask for a straw.
    lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Trisha,

I even use the steak knife for beans on toast because, even with adapted cutlery it's a tough cookie!!

I just changed the menu to beans with toast ie toast as usual and beans in a ramekin or some such at the side. A bite of toast and a spoonful of beans :D
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I just changed the menu to beans with toast ie toast as usual and beans in a ramekin or some such at the side. A bite of toast and a spoonful of beans :D

:shock: :shock: ..............but Sticky beans just have to be served on the toast otherwise the lovely tomato sauce doesn't mix with the butter and soak down into the toast till it's soggy. The experience of 'with' instead of 'on' is like like eating cereal with the milk in a glass instead of poured over! :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink::lol::lol:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :lol: I agree it's kind of different but it saves hacking at the toast and also losing all the beans on the way to my mouth :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I can see your point but if t'were me I would get some scissors cut my buttered toast into bite sized pieces stir them into the beans and then use a large spoon to eat. Result! Succulent, soggy, beany toast with no spillage and I am undeafeated!!!! Legs rules the day .....not arthur!!!! :lol::lol:

Now I'm hungry!

Love,
    Love, Legs x