DLA Medical on Wednesday

Options
dippydoodah
dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
edited 27. Oct 2010, 17:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Short story ~ I applied for DLA on August 11th as I was diagnosed with full body OA, they wrote to my GP and he responded. I since got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and rang DLA to tell them, got a letter last week stating they're collecting further medical evidence.

Got a phone call this afternoon from a Dr Holme (a very lovely old man) who has arranged to come and see me at home on Wednesday 27th at 11am. He's been instructed to 'fill out a form' and told me not to worry, he isn't a decision maker he just has to collect some details. He had a friendly voice so I feel at ease but at the same time Im very nervous about what the 'examination' entails....

Fingers crossed x

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    just remember he will be watching your every move even if he is nice person he is there to do a job good luck be your self but do not try to do what you normally would not it will go against you val
    val
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    thanks thats whats making me nervous, the fact that he will be watching everything. i know i dont really have anything to worry about as im not faking anything. my husband sees me day in day out, gets me out of bed, dresses me, washes me, cooks the meals, gets me in and out of the car, up and on the sofa etc... he does everything, especially since this colder weather started.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Caroline,

I cannot give you any insight as to what to expect but I just wanted to wish you well for Wednesday.

Lv, Ix
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    thank you, i appreciate that. i can only be truthful and hope for the best x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    I'm sure it will be alright. It's the waiting that will be the worst.

Try and keep yourself as busy as you can. Not easy I know.

Lv, Ix
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Hope everything goes ok on Wedneday.
    By the sound of it I'm sure you will qualify for DLA.
    Best wishes and good luck
    anne
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Caroline,

I hope it goes ok for you flower but be careful how ever nice he might be. Will b thinking of you and sending a ((( ))) Cris x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi

Just calling in to say I hope all goes well for you on Wednesday. With some of the tales we hear I am sure it will be a little scary but I hope you get the result you clearly deserve. I will be thinking of you.
    love
    Chris
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi caroline

Just to wish you luck for wednesday

JuliePF x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Morning dippydoodah, I hope you are OK today, or as OK as you can be. I can understand how unsettling the prospect of Wednesday is - given the horror stories that abound it is a worry. We will be with you in spirit tho, cheering you on from the sidelines! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    thank you all, i appreciate your support.
    ive had a very close friend contact me who's been through the whole dla thing for years, medicals etc and he's given me some pretty good advice. mainly as nice as he appears don't trust him. answer only the questions he asks, don't start rolling off stuff as i might say something that he could question....
    he does think its good that hes coming to the house as he had to fight for a home visit. they kept sending him to manchester for his review dla medical and he had to fight to get them to come to see him. he got a home visit in the end tho.
    hes a very trustworthy friend so i shall take his comments and hope for the best.
    i dont have to 'pretend' to be ill or 'put it on' as i know myself what i can and cannot do and at the moment i cannot do anything. i cant even open curtains or turn a tap on....
    i shall pop in after his visit and let you know how we get on. my husband will be there for me too x[/i]
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Options
    Hi - good luck with the visit on wed - will be there in your pocket!!

let us know how it goes!

Louise
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    thank you louise, i will let you know how it goes.... im really nervous the more i think about it.
    oh well... at least im not waiting weeks for the appointment, its only day after tomorrow.... x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    I just want to lend my support, and say good luck for Wednesday.
    I really do hope you get it.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    thanks barbara.

i have to admit ive been researching atos medicals and im very nervous. all these stories about the 'doctor' just writing anything down and not listening... how they trick you etc...

the way my life has been, i dont get much luck ive gone through so much already and now the arthritis and fibro, if they twist my medical i don't know how much more i can take :cry:

im finding it very hard to think positive x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That's understandable, this is a very unsettling time for you. These are trite words, I know, but try to distract yourself from it as much as you can: the more you dwell on it the larger and more difficult it will appear and the more nervous you will get and the worse the whole thing will be. Stop researching it and stop scaring yourself! Wednesday will come (it always does) whether you worry or not.

You know we are behind you, but if you cannot stop fretting do something constructive with the worry: make some notes about how you are affected by everything and then hand them to him! That will give him something to read and you some breathing time. DD
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi dippy :D

just wanted to add my good luck wishes to those of the rest. :!:

your medical is different form the ATOS 'work related' medical.... so don't go comparing the two.!....... and you've got a doc doing the assessment which has to be a big plus!

you're very clear of what you can and can't do so you'll be fine. :wink:

read over your DLA application (if you have a copy) and that way you'll refresh your mind about each area in the form ...and of your health, care needs and mobility that the doc is going to ask about.

make little notes of the aspects of your health etc that you want him to consider..... and any changes in your health or meds since the form was submitted.

.......and get your hubby to prompt if anything's left out. :wink:

we'll be with you in your pocket Caroline. :wink::D

Iris xxx
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    Thank you DD and Iris, believe it or not your words have relaxed me.
    I shall leave this message and then turn the PC off!!

DD, you've always been a great support to so many and to me and I thank you for taking the time to offer words of comfort and most importantly, being honest and to the point. I am making it worse by reading all this so I shall stop x

Iris... I had a feeling the medicals may be different as alot of people who have an Atos medical are fighting regarding work. I am very lucky that I have the option of staying at home and to be honest, your comments have eased my nervousness a little.

Thanks again, I shall turn the PC off and go make a brew instead and try to put it out of mind until Wednesday. Like you said DD, it'll come whether I want it to or not, may as well rest until then x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Morning dippydoodah, I hope you had a good night with some quality rest and are feeling a little better this morning. Thinking of you. DD
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    good afternoon dd, hope you are feeling well
    i had a rotten night but not through worrying, just pains. this weather is awful, i suppose thats a good thing for tomorrow huh :wink:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Yup, rotten night for me too with pain but the weather makes no difference. My body likes to attack me with gusto no matter what the atmospherics. It gets one down! Take care. DD
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    sorry to hear that dd, sending gentle hugs your way x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi dippydoodah

glad you have had some good advice from a dear friend. That must have helped alot also the fact that your OH will be there with you.

Sorry you didn't sleep well and hope you have a better night tonight although I expect tomorrow will be on your mind. (I am a worrier too).

Good luck again
    JuliePF x
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    thanks julie, ive had a bit of a lazy day today really so im quite relaxed, how long that will last i dont know but for now im in a 'bring it on' mood.... by tomorrow ill probably just be wanting it over with.

my husband is a treasure and isnt afraid of speaking up if i need him to so i feel very comforted to know he'll be there....

shall keep everyone informed after he's gone.... x
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Hi dippydoodah,
    Just wishing you all the best for tomorrow.
    I'm sure between you and your hubby it will be alright.
    Try not to get too nervous (easier said than done I know)
    best wishes
    xxxx