Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Morning everyone.

Antoinette, Holly has come home but she hasn't sent me a message yet. I can see Madam Sleekipus's bike parked outside, but she's bust in the garden. There are some naughty weeds spoiling her display of silver bells and cockle shells. 😁 Oh, in she comes, covered in mud. I'd better make her a hot shrimp latte - yes, shrimp!

Reshmi, I hope your sore throat gets better soon.

Love to Joan, Barbara, Carol and Mike.

Buttered shrimp and grits

Ingredients

SHRIMP

• jumbo shrimp 360g, deveined
    • whole black peppercorns ground to make 1 tsp
    • cayenne pepper 2 tsp
    • smoked paprika 1 tbsp
    • thick-cut smoked bacon or pancetta 250g, cubed
    • bourbon 120ml
    • unsalted butter 4 tbsp
    • garlic 3 cloves, finely chopped to make 2 tsp
    • lemon juice 4 tbsp
    • flat-leaf parsley roughly chopped to make 2 tbsp
    • spring onions 2, finely sliced

GRITS

• stoneground coarse grits (not polenta) 225g
    • whole milk 850ml
    • unsalted butter 2½ tbsp
    • gruyère 125g, finely grated

Method

• STEP 1
    • Put the shrimp in a bowl and season with the pepper, cayenne, smoked paprika and 1½ tsp of salt. Chill until needed. Tip the grits into a pan then pour over the milk. Start to stir, then turn on the heat to medium and bring to the boil. Once the milk starts to simmer, turn down the heat slightly and stir continuously for 8-10 minutes to ensure the grits don’t become lumpy.
    • STEP 2
    • When the grits have absorbed most of the liquid and are the consistency of thick porridge, add the butter and cheese, stirring continuously to ensure the grits are smooth. Season to taste, then set aside and keep warm.
    • STEP 3
    • Cook the smoked bacon in a hot pan for 5-7 minutes or until the fat has rendered. When the bacon is golden, remove to a bowl using a slotted spoon and set aside.
    • STEP 4
    • Turn down the heat to medium and carefully pour the bourbon into the pan to deglaze it. It will bubble a little, then start to reduce. Cook until reduced by half. Add the butter and let it melt into the bourbon and bacon fat.
    • STEP 5
    • Add the garlic, fry for a minute, then add the seasoned shrimp, flat-sides down. Cook for 2-3 minutes then turn the shrimp over. Return the cooked bacon to the pan with the lemon juice and cook for 2 minutes, then turn up the heat slightly so the pan juices begin to bubble and create a light sauce. Once the shrimp turn pink and have curled slightly, they’re ready. Remove from the heat.
    • STEP 6
    • Spoon generous helpings of the grits onto plates, then pile the shrimp and bacon mixture into the centre of the grits. Spoon over the juices from the pan and sprinkle with some of the parsley and spring onions.

From Olive magazine.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 4,064
    Options

Hi Toni how are you? Yes kids definitely don’t understand the concept of germs, one of The Lord’s favourite pastimes is to put his hands inside the bin when he thinks that no one is looking, lol.he also Likes touching the inside of shoes the dirtier the better, lol. He is also a great enjoyer of raw vegetables as toys and companions, when he was a lot younger he insisted that mummy gave him a bath with a raw potato in it 🥔, quite an unusual form of detox I believe, lol. Your right, a LA tantrum on the return journey would indeed have been difficult to endure. I’m not quite sure how far away they are, possibly 45 - 50 minutes depending on the traffic? It was nice to have a snack outside with my parents, dad did not hundred percent behave, he thought something hadn’t been scanned and made a bit of a scene at the shop assistant, he’s really getting more and more difficult to be honest with you, he was also glued to his phone what can I say I’ll cease the diatribe nip it in the bud, lol. I am feeling a bit better today but I’ve stayed inside. It Was a horribly cold early morning here was it the same with you? my cousin had a heart attack he is only about 47 and he was rushed to hospital where he had a stent fitted but luckily he is starting to feel a little bit better now bless him he lives in Kent, he had Covid earlier this year so maybe that weakened his immune system.I hope the Ironing is not going too badly take care. X

• bosh
    edited 3. Nov 2021, 12:07
    Options

Hi J how are you? I think you’re right the freezing temperatures are not helping anyone I hope you and Sue have a good day too take care.

• bosh
    Options

Thanks Kathleen I hope you have a good day too, hot shrimp latte 🍤🍤 - that’s an unusual one, lol 😂. Tc. Xx

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Evening all

Toni I'm so sorry you can't see P..could her family have a word with them ..before it becomes to late 😪...surely under the circumstances ..they could give you ppe and you would wear a mask xxxx

My eldest son and his friend are fully recovered now the last thing to return was there taste.....maybe they will use an ultrasound on you ..especially with your sinuses xx

Reshmi hiw nice to eat outside at this time if the year...not sure how old your dad is but Mr B is sort 8f doing the same things..I dread him saying the receipt is wrong ..happening more and more and its always right 🙄 you take care xx

Joan our weather has been up and diwn today has been lovely the other day floods but can't grumble for the time of year... love to all of you xx

Kath you already know I like chickpeas and always have them in so thankyou fir the recipe...has for shrimps I went to buy some a couple if weeks ago love them much nicer than prawns..but the price 😲hope you are doing ok xx

Mike photos do that to me ..I remember the good times then think if only we could have them back ..How's your sleep going xx

Love to all

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Morning everyone!

Charley has her wedding dress fitting here this morning l am so excited!

Morning Mike I can see what you mean about not posting anything if you have nothing useful to say. Sometimes though I post even when i don't know the answer if no-one has replied just to support someone. The forum can go quiet at times can't it? I love the trike and had no idea we had a 'Biker' in the café 😉 Sometimes it can be tough looking back at what we used to be able to do I know ((()))

Hahaha Joan yes the man fixing the blinds!! All done now he could see well enough luckily. It is sad not being able to see P, but her daughter is in touch with me as often as she can be and p's own sister too. ((())) xxx

Morning Kitty! I had no idea Sleek loved shrimp! She is at least now eating cat tuna (the expensive stuff) out of tins and not those vile pouches which are tricky to recycle.

She said she had been in the garden at yours - she loves

gardening.

Glad Holly is back - I'm sure you'll see her soon enough once she's recovered.

Any news on your COVID/Flu vaccines?

Morning Reshmi. I am not too bad at all thank you😊 Glad to hear you are feeling better. I had to scrape my windscreen this morning to drive Lucy to work brrrr!

45-50 minutes with a wailing Lord A? Gosh no! Your Dad did a charitable deed giving him that sweet. He loves mucky stuff mind you kids often do. Kari and I used to make mud pies all the time we loved it. I don't think I have ever known a child want to bath with a spud though😁 Lucy loved veggies too but she ate them - peppers like apples for instance - and used to call her feet Mr and Mrs Plant respectively. They are so entertaining children they really are aren't they?

I would love a meal out we have mostly only done drive throughs. Dad is like Paul always on his phone - very rude. I hope he starts to chill out for you soon. What a shock your cousin I do hope he gets well soon. Maybe COVID weakened his actual heart. Try not to worry too much not good for you ((()))

Morning Barbara you have to wear PPE anyway at the hospice I think it's because P is not really conscious now. Her daughter wishes she had said I was her sister in the first place. She knows I am sure that I am thinking about her.

Kari said they might do an ultrasound at least first she says they are cheaper than cameras so

🤞

I am glad you son and his friend are fully recovered now such a relief for you. My bro said the sense of taste lingered a while with him and his wife too.

So you like shrimps too? But does Niamh? there's a question🤔

Well better get on I need my shower now so I look respectable for the seamstress.

red/brown sauce available.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Morning gang. Trip fog this morning! Amitriptylene work some nights and not others which is winding me up. Last night they worked and I did not wake up until 7 this morning but the previous 2 nights I had my normal tossing and turning all night giving up at 3 or so and crawling to my recliner. The only constant is the "trip fog" in the morning which lasts until about 10am. Anyway, Asda delivery this morning so that is something to look forward to, I wonder what will be missing this time!!

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Morning all, sunny but cold. I’m glad to see that Sleek is well wrapped up in waterproofs and woolly jumpers. Bless her, sh does love her garden. Holly and Co enjoyed their trip to Skeg, but I can’t help wondering how much time was spent staring out of the caravan window and watching the rain. Poor Duke wouldn’t have had many walks! I hope you will get to see P again before…….

Mike, I wouldn’t be able to move after sleeping so late. We go to bed at 5pm and get up at 11 the same night and even after a disturbed night I can’t move straightaway. Downstairs we are asleep for another couple of hours.

Barbara, I love Prawns as shrimps are a bit like chewing an insect. Yuk.

Resmi, Madam Sleekipus loves her lattes, the fishier th better.

https://images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/30/2020/08/the-great-british-breakfast-bap-143d61b.jpg?quality=90&resize=440,400 There was an error displaying this embed.

The Great British breakfast bap

By Barney Desmazery

NOT VEGAN

Ingredients

• 2 tbsp sunflower oil
    • 4 pork sausages
    • 3 handfuls frozen chips
    • 4 rashers smoked back bacon
    • 4 eggs
    • 4 large floury soft white baps
    • 400g can baked beans
    • butter , ketchup and brown sauce, to serve

Method

• STEP 1
    • Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Use 1 tbsp of the oil to lightly grease a large, shallow roasting tin. Scatter the chips over two-thirds of the tin and line the sausages up on the other third. Cook for 20 mins, then toss the chips around, turn the sausages and return to the oven 10 mins more until the chips are golden and the sausages browned. Push everything together to make room in the tin, then lay the bacon rashers in the space and return to the oven for 10-15 mins or until the bacon fat is crisp and sizzling.
    • STEP 2
    • Five mins before the bacon is ready, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan and fry the eggs however you like them. Heat the beans in a saucepan or in a microwave.
    • STEP 3
    • Split the baps so they are still hinged at one edge. Butter and sauce as you like, split each sausage lengthways and, building from the bottom up, layer the chips, sausage, bacon and egg. Present the bap open for extra sauce and to keep the yolk intact. Serve small pots of beans on the side for dipping and spooning over.

NAUGHTY - but nice.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options

Good morning everyone

we have our booster tomorrow and the flu jab I think.

Kath (()) have a good day I hope not a lot of pain love to Chris (()) and Anita (()) and Val (())) and Emily (()) and your Dad (())

Barbara (()) how is your hip getting on (()) love to Mr B (()) and your son(()) and Niamh (()) and your brother (()) and his girlfriend (()) and your niece (()) and her fiancé (())

Toni (()) that’s lovely Charley’s dress is being fitted there so you can see everything going on (()) I feel so sorry about you not seeing P (())at least your kept informed good of P’s sister and daughter (()) love to Paul (()) and Charley (()) and Annie (()) and the carers (()) and Lucy (()) and Tia (()) and Kari (()) and P (()) and your lovely neighbours (())

Reshmi (()) does the cold make you ache more (()) love to your family

Mike (()) I hope you had everything you ordered love to vixen

love to Carol (())

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara how are you today? Yes it was nice thanks, my dad is 81, yes he’s always been like that too ever since I can remember, lol, but he’s getting more difficult has he gets older too, I agree, lol. Thanks you take care as well have a nice afternoon. Xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Toni glad you’re not feeling too bad at all today, oh dear brrr indeed. Mr and Mrs Plant that’s a good one, kids are indeed a very entertaining and imaginative. Well it Was more of a snack, but my dad had a breakfast, still enjoyable though it’s true, we went to The local Waitrose cafe, which is quite clean and We went before, lunchtime so it wasn’t crowded and the staff were polite to my dad, honest I’m not sure I would’ve been, haha you have a point about Covid, thanks I am worried but in some ways the worry is not too bad, because he is not someone I have known since childhood, good that he seems to be on the mend now though, he is a very kind person though, it’s one of the few people I want to visit my dad when he had his bypass none of his so-called friends turned up, or certain other people who really should’ve been there for him, that was a scary time for me, my mum was ill at the same time more or less and I had a big mental health relapse, but that’s over now. Hope you have a nice day today despite over take care Toni bye for now. Xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Kathleen yes has become quite horribly cold hasn’t it? The fishier better, fair enough, lol, I myself am a fish fan, though perhaps not in a latte form, lol. Take care xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Joan, hope you’re okay today? I hope you and Sue are wrapping up warm and having a nice day. I am watching a French series on Netflix, ( I did French at uni long ago) it’s not too bad, bye for now Joan. Xx.

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Evening all cold but sunny today I di like autumn with the sun shining

Toni it us a shame Ps daughter didn't say you was her sister ..but she will know you are thinking of her, she has a special bond with you 💖

Ooh how lovely Charley has the dress fitting 😍 it's so exciting ..so it was icy thus morning ..none here yet thank goodness xx

Joan my hips are fine thankyou just the rest if me 😅never mind has long as we can laugh ..love to all if you xx

Reshmi your dad sounds a right one, at least he has always been like that..I am trying to get my head round Mr B..xx

Kath I love shrimps and had them all the time when little they were so cheap ..in little pots of butter ..

Now that is some breakfast bap 😁 xx

Mike the amitriptylines work well fir me but have little effect on hubby...very strange ..maybe you should ask for something else xx

Love to all

Xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone 😊

It was icy last night when I got out of choir practice! Typical isn't it?🙄 and this morning even though the news (yes I saw it at teatime yesterday) said cloud would come in and warm us up.

Never mind at least we should get sunshine.

Mike was all of your shopping present and correct? I had Ocado yesterday everything there except my soya milk, but I have a small reserve. I wonder what your amitrip dose is at? My repeat says 25mg but my MIL had 10 and friend's husband 50 so might be worth looking into??? It does work most of the time for you as long as the 'fog' doesn't last longer of course....

I would have thought, dear Kitty, that a shrimp would be like eating something more solid and chewy than an insect🤢

Young Sleekipuss has changed her food!!!! To ocean fish in TINS! I am so pleased for her and the environment too bless her. More expensive but she is 12 now so she deserves it bless her.

You and Chris have an unusual sleeping pattern, but it sounds as though it works for you both so no need to change it. When do you catch up on your Coronation street then?

I bet there was plenty of rain in Skeggy, but I never mind rain on holiday in fact it makes me feel all cosy inside. Poor doggy though😕

Joan I am lucky to be so close to P's daughter and sister so I do know what is going on. Poor P she's been 'asleep' now for many days this is so tough for them isn't it? 😔 Will you and Sue brave a cafe trip today if it's dry? I hope you do. ((())) xxx

Morning Barbara Yes I believe P knows I am with her in spirit under her pillow as she doesn't have pockets in her nightie.

I hope Mr B will get back to normal once he's had his operation. He must feel quite cross having his independance taken from him like this so suddenly.

It was icy coming out of choir practice last night had to scrape the car to go home down the lane🙄 but makes for sunny days which are lovely aren't they?

Reshmi I hope even more that your cousin does well given he is obviously a nice man visiting your dad when he had his bypass surgery! What an awful time you all must have had your Mum ill and you struggling with your mental health. Yes best forgotten, but ((())) shame we weren't around to talk to.

My kids gave me hours of entertainment you know hours of it! Bless them - like the time they made a band and were convinced the music teacher at (primary) school would spot their talent and give them a 'recommendation' their word not mine!! Gosh I still laugh now. The Disc babes they called themselves😂 Charley better be careful I am doing the wedding speech!

Our nearest Waitrose is 11 miles away unfortunately, but I do go sometimes when Lucy has her hair cut that way. Glad they were polite to your dad makes life easier and it was clean and felt safe.

Well I had better get on the garage door is going on - finally - this morning!

I love bagels!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) have a good weekend love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((()))) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) have a good weekend how long has Mr B got to wait for his op ((())) love to your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((())) and your niece ((())) and her fiancé ((()))

Toni ((())) are the Disc babies still going. Yes you need a garage door. We are going for our booster today but I'm not sure I have a sore throat. It's so hard for you and P's family you are like a family member to her. Love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Reshmi ((())) have a good weekend all of you ((())

Mike ((())) have a good weekend I hope you can sort out your sleeping soon ((())) love to vixen

love to Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Mike was all of your shopping present and correct? I had Ocado yesterday everything there except my soya milk, but I have a small reserve. I wonder what your amitrip dose is at? My repeat says 25mg but my MIL had 10 and friend's husband 50 so might be worth looking into??? It does work most of the time for you as long as the 'fog' doesn't last longer of course....

Morning Froggie et al. There was only one item missing from my shopping which makes a change, I always hit the "no substitutions" button as I have had stuff in the past that I would never use and can't afford to waste money like that. They say give anything you don't want back to the delivery driver but he/she never hangs around and I just get the box dropped off and they take away the empty boxes from the previous week. I always put in the notes section for them to deliver to my back door as it is by the kitchen but yesterday he came to the front door, saw me on crutches and put the box on the floor, I then had to hobble to the back door to get the empties after which I moved the box with my foot to the kitchen and unpacked it off the floor with my grabber. Some drivers put the shopping straight into the kitchen but not all obviously.

As for the amitriptylene, I am only on a 10mg dose which I take an hour before bed, it is working about half the time but the fog if there in the morning irrespective of how much sleep I get. There is always the other problem of course, the longer I do sleep the more crippled I am when I wake up!!

Have a good day all.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Joan how are you? yes the cold does make me ache more but my skin gets better in the cold, so it’s a kind of weird paradox, nothing is ever simple is it ? do you like ache more in the cold as well? Thanks Joan I hope you and Sue are having a nice afternoon. Tc. Xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara how are you. that must be a difficult one about Mr B , it Must be a really hard thing to deal with. Hope you’re Having a nice afternoon take care bye for now. Xx

• bosh
    edited 5. Nov 2021, 15:16
    Options

Hi Toni, thanks for your nice message, yes it’s a shame I didn’t know you at that time, I am publicly voice controlling and planning to have that good old methotrexate medicine in about an hour, so I’ll keep this brief and somewhat inhibited. Yes kids can indeed to be a great source of amusement. Just out of curiosity what sort time of day do you have methotrexate? I was just curious as I’m wondering how to minimise side-effects (the problem is I have to have my other tablets in the night so that’s a constraint with me). I see What you mean about your Waitrose been quite far away, my one my one is not extremely really, near but it’s a quick drive though not a quick walk , though to do that walk a long time ago. Problem is there is a hill involved fairly steep one really.I know This is a kind of haphazard answering of things but I hope you have a nice day and take care, I also love bagels btw. Xx PS good with the garage door!

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone!

Less cold more wet today.

Joan the disc babes did only sing for one performance I am sorry to say. They had the words sellotaped to the wall behind our heads us being the audience. Tia played the keyboards, but really it played itself it had some built in tunes!! Love to you and Sue ((())) xxx

Morning Reshmi how are you today? I see you take your methotrexate in the afternoon. Tricky but I prefer evening like 7ish then some of the worst is over before you wake up. Maybe you could shuffle your other meds along a bit???

Even though we weren't here when you were really struggling we are now. Such a nice little group.

Oh yes kids such a blessing they give as much as they take and then hopefully when you get older they give again. My mum used to tell the check-out lady (when I took her shopping and was loading up for her) that she knew I'd come in handy one day!!!

What a shame you can walk to your Waitrose but it's up a steep hill🙄 good news is Lucy is due a haircut soon so I can get to mine 👍️Will you be seeing the excess family this weekend I wonder🤨

Hi Mike it is true that you are stiffer the longer you stay in one position, but the sleep is worth it. Hours awake when the rest of the world are Zzzzing are just awful 😕

What a mean delivery man! Surely it wouldn't hurt them to nip your supplies inside I mena it woudl take two minutes and they have masks on don't need to toucha thing!. I suppose at least you only had one missing item. I also tick the no subs box. they have sent me no negan stuff not knowing it isn't. Simple things like bread with milk in they wouldn't know you have to read the labels meticulously.

Now where is our Kitty Kat? Unusual for you to be awol on a Friday but perhaps you needed your internet free day earlier this week?

As long as all is well I'll be happy ((())) Sleek says you're fine and that she raked you a bag of leaves for leaf mould. She's been watching Monty Don again🙄

That and SYTTD Say yes to the dress.

Morning Barbara I hope your eyes are not too bad today and benefited from being off screen yesterday.

Is Niamh coming over this weekend? What about the girls?

I wish I could show you all photos of Charley in her dress but that will have to wait....and now Mother of the Bride (c'est moi) needs to sort her outfit out. Thinking a trouser suit it being January?

Breakfast:

• frogmorton
    Options

P has gone 😔

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Toni ((())) I'm sorry to hear the sad news of P (())) going. You have some good memories I was thinking in the night about her and I wondered if you had thought of something that could be in the village in memory of her like her favourite tree. I'm having my booster on Wednesday. Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Mike ((())) I'm very sorry your treated like that. We have Sainsbury's sue said we need help so every week they bring it all in the kitchen they would put it away but I can do that. Love to vixen (())

Reshmi ((())) have a good weekend all of you.

Kath ((())) l hope all is well there love to everyone ((()))

Barbara ((())) thinking of you and yours ((()))

Love to Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh
    Options

Hi Toni I’m not too bad thanks how are you? It’s possible but problem is that mental health meds make me feel really sleepy but I might possibly adjust things a bit thanks for the advice. Yes very nice group thanks, unfortunately in those kind of situations talking to someone sympathetic definitely helps but sometimes medication needs to be adjusted and that’s The main thing, it was an odd time though I tried to speak to my sister but she just didn’t talk to me, she was angr, she internalised everything which could’ve been good for her either - poss there was an Element of immaturity but anyway those days are def gone. That’s sweet About your mum, aww. Thats good about Lucy, sorry what did you mean exactly about you can “get to mine”? do you mean get to your café, as in the café you like going to? Sorry got a bit confused, lol. No excess family this weekend, Baby R is not very well again he had a temperature and now his ears and nose are a bit red and he had a nosebleed the doc has given him antibiotics. Bye for Now Toni take care

• bosh
    Options

Hi Kathleen Barbara Joan Hope you’re all okay today? I’m quite tired now may write later. Xx