Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Hello friends, just popped in to say that I’ve had my Asthma review. And now I have telephone appointment with my GP in January. I won’t be able to be here tomorrow as we have an Asda delivery tomorrow. Love to all.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 4,089
    edited 20. Dec 2021, 15:15
    Options

Hi everyone today is going badly and my neck hurts, so that’s all from me today, take care. Xx.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options

Gosh a bad day all round for us all yesterday ((())) Today I had to get up and 3.15 am to take Lucy to work. Went to bed at 8..

Mike I feel like I said this the day before yesterday, BUT what treats are in store for you and Sue today? It's Tuesday so spick and span bungalow day for you.

Joan it was scary on the motorway after that i had to ask people to come with us, Charley did a lot Tia some my brother was an absolute star! Are you ready now for Christmas? How are the carers are they all well? ((())) xxx

Morning Kitty. I'm glad you had your asthma review yesterday I hope the nurse was happy with you?

Good luck with your Asda order we have our Ocado order coming today it had better be good it cost me an arm and a leg!😮

Sleek said she will be over to supervise the BBs when Asda come she doesn't want any getting into his van. They are rather nosey BBs apparently...

Morning to you Reshmi I am so sorry you are struggling with your neck it is dreadful. Rest it take your meds as prescribed and try to keep warm. Remember our heads are very heavy (not as heavy as the mega brains of course!) so do get in a comfy position s much as possible and don't wash your hair today ((()))🌈

Barbara I really don't like the loss of appetite and would think Christies won't be happy either with your brother. There are things they can do to stimulate the appetite steroids being one ((())) for you.

I bet you loved seeing each other even at the door. Very wise indeed he needs to take care, but what is this? His third Christmas since diagnosis??

Do you know I can't even remember what the name of the forum pub was😳 Just that there were a few trouble-makers in there!

You take care now and rest those eyes ((()))

This was yesterday's post I copied it over so you don't have to read back. there are however some lovely photos of Carol's Grandaughters so you might still want to.

Well everyone I hope you all have a good day.

I am going to wrap a few pressies and wait for Ocado pick Lucy up later and try to stay awake!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Mike I feel like I said this the day before yesterday, BUT what treats are in store for you and Sue today?

Morning, tea and a Picnic choccie bar today.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara how are you today? my mum said she had one eye done, but that it was quite good really because that’s the main eye she had problems with, I think she said she has a very small cataract in the other eye but she’s not having an operation on it right now. Tc. Xx

• bosh
    Options

hi turbo Gran nice photos take care

• bosh
    Options

Hi Toni thanks about the neck, it was a combination of some things that were wrong yesterday, neck was bad but not in the extreme but I was tired and just not feeling very well in general so I thought I would give the neck a bit of a rest before it became a sore as bill the Bear’s head without his daily treats from the coffee shop oh dear did I write that out loud? don’t tell anyone just the one or two people who use the Internet. Anyway I’m feeling better today thank you. Yes 80 burgers should do it thanks Toni. Yes you’re right about my sister, it’s just My mum would sometimes say that LA’s parents could perhaps spend the morning with LA this was before baby R was born by the way, but anyway I’m not really criticising this is I’ve chosen not to have children, lol, enough stress without the responsibility of those decisions but yes of course is no one can really tell someone else how to parent there is no doubt about that yes its admirable and I’m just going to stop now because I’m preserving my neck. Xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Joan how are you and Sue today I’m not too bad at the moment thanks but it’s still the morning so there may be horrors and monsters to come 👺, lol.bye For now take care

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) that's good you've had your asthma review I hope it was good I hope you have all you want in your order tomorrow. Love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Toni ((())) thank you all the carers are well they have all had their boosters. You had to get up very early to day ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Barbara ((())) love to everyone (((())) have a good day ((()))

Reshmi ((())) sorry about your pain ((()))

Mike ((())) and vixen enjoy your picnic bars.

Love to Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Apologies, I must have been on planet Zog! My Asda delivery is WEDNESDAY not today. If I get chance I might pop in later but I have some Asthma stuff to look up and some money to pay off the leccie. XXX

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh
    Options

Hi again Toni I’m making a quick reappearance lol don’t worry I don’t wash my hair every day, Its only the folic acid I occasionally forget to take, but I have been remembering it recently , Its just I have so many more meds to take for mental health, but I’ve got used to it now so that’s the main thing, Got A nice takeaway today from a local Cafe not sure if they do vegan but they do veggie much cheaper than costa even though it’s on just eat. I’m Thinking of eating a few blanched almonds every day as normal almonds have too much fibre and upset my stomach. How long have you been making wreaths T? That must be v Skilful work did you learn how to do it yourself? Thanks Joan my pain isn’t too bad today, bye everyone have a nice afternoon. Xx

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Evening all

Toni I will tell my jotter to ask about steroids he is quite stubborn but think that sometimes helps ..yes 3 Christmases since they said he had around 6 months ...but to ge honest I could swear at the c word after my parents and eldest brother ..you have been there xx

I can get its scary in the fog and dark..😟Paul will be home soon xx

Joan it's my brother that is not eating ..don't worry there is so mych to remember..I do remember maccano...my hubby was talking about it a few days ago...I use to get a wedding doll for Christmas in a very large plain cardboard box..glad the doggies are sharing Christmas dinner xx

Reshmi Glad you feel a little better its a proper roller coaster ..love to mum glad her other eye isn't to bad xx

Kath good luck with the Asthma review xx

carol the children are beautiful and the baby how time passes bless..i really could do with a new baby in our family xx

Love to all

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone!

I had to chip the ice off my car this morning to get Lucy into work. Paul is at least back now if very late yesterday it was lovely to see him.

Morning Mike - I love a picnic bar well I used to in fact they go really well with tea. I think a minced pie does too....I am going to start them tonight I think.😋 Weird experience this droppin Lu off at work. A Man jigging about erratically Lucy said he was 'on something' 😕

Morning Kitty you sound very, very busy🤨 I hope you got your bills paid ok and found what you needed regarding the asthma?

Sleek has just got back from yours having turned the heating up and adjusted your blankies.

All BBs fed and left clearing up they do do a good job don't they? ((())) xxx

Morning Reshmi. Your mental health meds are vital as are your PdA ones i know, but missing those can have bad consequences. I hope your neck is ok today🤞 I am pleased you don't wash your hair every day it's the last thing you need with an iffy neck.

Your Mum did only have one eye done. Will they do the other one soon or is it not 'ripe' yet as they say?

I do know what your Mum means about Lord A's parents spending a morning with him, but it seems these days very hard to buy a house with only one income so they have to keep working both of them. We all just do the best we can and no parenting is perfect is it?

Oh lovely a takeaway which was cheaper than Costa, but still on Just Eat! Perfect🙂Let's hope it is successful and stays open.

It was P who taught me how to make wreaths last year her last Christmas here. I have saved one to pop onto her plot which I can see from our window.

Morning Joan I am pleased all your carers are vaccinated and safe for themselves and you and Sue. Not up quite so early today only 3.45!!😴 Are you all set for the big day? ((())) xxx

3 Christmasses Barbara really we do have so much to be grateful for I think even though was absolutely HATE cancer it is vile and evil. Feel free to swear at it! Yes make a note of steroids. Dexamethasone he can have being on treatment. It's 7xs stronger than prednisone.

Maybe we will see some babies soon with the girls getting married? Who knows eh? It is time I think if they want them of course. Tia and mikey are still waiting, but Annie is older than Charley so keen to get started.

I just wanted lego you know just lego. Meccano I had forgotten about, but don't think I was as fussed about that just wanted lego me and Kari.Must get our family secret Santa stuff packed up to take over to Karis!

Take care now 😘

Breakfast:

• bosh
    Options

hi Toni just a quick one I will reply properly later I’m aware that every tablet is important in Its own way (as is every blood test) but no one is perfect and I’m having one of them now just thought I’d make the point okay bye for now take care x

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) do you remember when we had to put 50 pence in the back of the television then at the end of the month we had some of the money back. Love to Chris (())) and Anita (()) and Val (()) and Emily (()) and your Dad (()))

Barbara ((())) sorry I got your brother and your son mixed up I thought your son had c has well to ((())) all our relations died of that as well they could save the money for that it would be better than sending people to the moon. Love to Mr B (()) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother (()) and is girlfriend ((())) and your niece ((()) and her fiancé ((()))

Toni ((())) we never had Lego we were brought up by our gran our cousin was 10. Love to Paul (()) and everyone I have the physio at 11 00

love to Reshmi and Carol and Mike ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara thanks for your lovely message and thanks about my mum. I’m stuck in the cold room at the moment because my mum has gone mad with the thermostat. But I’m wearing 1 million layers of winter pyjamas thermal vest and so on and so forth lol. When I get cold I don’t care what I look like I’ll just wear whatever is warm and cosy, sister on the other hand is so ultraglamorous she never wears thermals regardless of how cold it is outside before she got pregnant the first time she used to wear heels practically everywhere flat shoes were virtually an alien concept oh dear that’s changed somewhat now. Bye for now must remember to eat my toast lol take care Barbara have a nice day. Xx

• bosh
    Options

hi Toni thanks about my neck it’s it’s not feeling too bad now but I’m going to make this message short or at least try to because it’s absolutely true what you said about unnatural positions and our devices, Think my mum does not want a second eye operated on right now because it’s not that bad and she’s scared about Covid understandably at least I think that’s what’s been decided at the moment yes - no parenting is perfect I agree. Thanks it was indeed a nice takeaway they don’t have quite as much sweet stuff is Costa but people can still get sweet drinks if you need to so that was quite nice yes I hope they stay open, i must admit I did get a hot chocolate from there this time but I only had half the cup. I Understand about the wreaths that’s a lovely skill to have learned, my cat lady megabrain friend also likes arts and crafts she makes her own masks and things like that very clever I’ve always been hopeless at needlework. Oh dear that’s an evil breakfast haha. My dad‘s got toothache he’s so grumpy anyway and of course I feel sorry for him due to the pain but can you imagine what his mood is like now? Also he’s not even going to contact the dentist so no tension in this household at all whatsoever 👿, okay it may not be quite factual ha ha. Bye for now Toni have a nice day. Xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Joan, nice to hear from you as always how are you and Sue doing today ? it’s freezing here in Reading and I’m hiding from family members etc in the cold room so I am wearing about 20 million layers and I’m looking like the Michelin tire woman/man/gender fluid individual okay only joking but not in an offensive way bye for now hope you both enjoy the day. Tc xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Kathleen how are you feeling today ? take care Reshmi x

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone is has poured down but stopped now and is much warmer today.

Hello Mike and Vixen sending ((())) and some pheromones for her😻

Reshmi my Dad was the same with the dentist in spite of any pain he would do his best to avoid it! I used to put whole cloves on his tooth? If you have them in anyway it might be worth a try. I can well imagine his mood just now. I have in the past likened my Arthritis pain to toothache because most people can relate to that.

I am glad your neck isn't too bad, but best not to stay online too long it is an unnatural position for our necks to cope with for too long. The wreaths weren't helping mine at all 🙄I'm glad they are done now. My sister is the arty crafty one in our family she is really talented I find art quite stressful not at all therapeutic.

If your Mum's other eye is ok for now I don't blame her not rushing while COVID is still so prevalent - safety first.

You are so restrained not drinking all of that lovely hot chocolate😋 I get Paul a small one now because he watches his weight and loved the stuff. I just have a decaf soya coffee so all good. I do hope the new place is successful if they still have enough sweet stuff for the majority it should do ok.

Yesterday's breakfast was indeed yummy naughty🤭

Morning Joan Did everything go ok with the physio yesterday? I very much hope so. All is well here Lucy is actually off tomorrow, but MacDonald's is open Christmas day!! ((())) for you and Sue xxx

Now where on earth is my Kitty kat?🤔 Madame La Sleekipuss has been over to check on you Kitty and reassured me all is well. She has brought some BBs back and left you with a mere dozen. Not a baker's dozen a real dozen for now.

Did i tell you my order was slightly wrong WAY too many carrots and two bags of sprouts instead of oen back being sprout tops? I made soup all day yesterday and froze it!

Bill is going to make me some candles for favours for teh wedding. He has to do 60 in case we are allowed 60, but we are very worried that we might not be allowed so many with COVID. Charley took out insurance luckily and for the honeymoon too. They heard they may only be allowed 16 at the wedding of there is a lockdown. I think that should include me though!!!

Love to Barbara I hope she can see my message above.

at least two of our five a day!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Toni ((())) thank you yes the physio went well I have a weak muscle in my hip so I have exercises to do. I hope the wedding can go ahead with everyone there ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((()) and Kari ((())) and your lovely neighbours (((())) how his is hip

Reshmi ((())) have a good day keep warm

Love to Barbara (((()))) and Kath ((())) and Mike ((())) and Carol (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh
    Options

Hi Toni How are you? I had a nice walk this morning, I see that’s a pity about your dad cloves yes We do use them, we tend to chew them as the juice is therapeutic, I promise I am going to write much more than this but I really need to rest now bye for now take care. Xx

• Kitty
    Options

Good morning friends, now where do I start? Oh yes A for Asthma. Shauna (my asthma nurse) has given me Ceririzine as I've stopped using the patches and Oromorph, and changed my inhaler. I was on Fostair 100 now I'm on 200. I can only have 2 puffs twice a day whereas with the other I could go up to 8 a day as it replaces the blue inhaler except in very bad cases. Now I can use the blue inhaler if necessary/ She has also booked me a telephone appointment with my doctor to sort the patches out. Oh amd she has given me a new spacer. For those who don't have asthma and don't understand a word of the above, ignore it all.

Joan, I do remember those tvs. but we never had one. But I can remember coin meters, where the meter reader would empty it of all the pennies mum fed it with and gave her some of it back. When the sun went in I would say "put a penny in the slot because the light has gone out." 🙄

Reshmi, thank you for asking,I'm not bad and hope you are too.

Love to Barbara and Mr B, and Carol and Mr T. Not forgetting Mike and Vixen of course,

Antoinette, I thought the BBs had run away and was rather worried until I found the note Sleek had left in my cup holder. I do niss them. I notice she has also tidied our tip garden up, the bulbs aren't showing yet, but they will.

Parsnip curry

55 Minutes Serves 4Easy

Sweet and earthy parsnips are cooked with fragrant spices in this nourishing vegan curry. Serve with basmati rice for an easy dinner

By Adam Bush of Olive magazine.

Ingredients

• parsnips 1kg, halved or quartered lengthways
    • sunflower oil 2 tbsp
    • cumin seeds 2 tsp
    • black mustard seeds 2 tsp
    • nigella seeds 2 tsp
    • whole black peppercorns ground to make 1 tsp
    • onions 2, chopped
    • garlic 4 cloves, chopped
    • ginger a thumb-sized piece, chopped
    • green chilli 1, chopped
    • coconut milk 400g tin
    • cherry tomatoes 400g tin
    • chickpeas 400g tin, drained and rinsed
    • garam masala 1 tbsp
    • lime 1, ½ juiced, ½ wedged to serve
    • coriander a handful of leaves
    • basmati rice to serve

Method

• STEP 1
    • Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Tip the parsnips onto a large baking tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp of the oil and season really well. Sprinkle over the cumin, mustard and nigella seeds, and black pepper, and toss again, then bake for 30-35 minutes or until the parsnips are cooked through and golden at the edges.
    • STEP 2
    • Meanwhile, put the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli into a high-powered blender with 2-3 tbsp of cold water and whizz to a smooth purée.
    • STEP 3
    • Heat the remaining oil in a deep frying pan and cook the onion purée with a pinch of salt over a medium heat for 15 minutes until darkened and smelling fragrant. Add the coconut milk, tomatoes, chickpeas and garam masala, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the parsnips are ready.
    • STEP 4
    • Mix the parsnips and all their spices into the pan, then simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Stir in the lime juice and season well. Sprinkle over the coriander leaves and serve with lime wedges and basmati rice.

As there haven't been many recioes recently, I'll do another one.

Vegan mushroom ragu

1 Hour 30 Minutes Serves 6-8Easy

Earthy chestnut mushrooms, red lentils and walnuts come together to create this hearty vegan ragu, packed with umami flavours and 'meaty' textures. You may make more ragu than you need but it freezes well – freeze any leftovers in portions

By Anna Glover from Olive magazine.

Ingredients

• walnuts 100g
    • chestnut mushrooms 500g
    • olive oil 4 tbsp, plus a drizzle
    • onion 1 large, finely chopped
    • carrots 2, finely chopped
    • celery 2 stalks, finely chopped
    • garlic 2 cloves, crushed
    • tomato purée 3 tbsp
    • vegan red wine 200ml
    • rosemary 1 sprig
    • basil ½ a small bunch, leaves picked, finely chopped
    • chopped tomatoes 400g tin
    • vegetable stock 600ml
    • red lentils 250g, rinsed
    • bay leaves 2
    • balsamic vinegar 1 tbsp
    • wide pasta (such as mafalde, pappardelle or paccheri) 600g
    • sage ½ a small bunch, leaves picked
    • capers 1 tbsp, drained
    • vegan hard cheese shaved, to serve (optional)

Method

• STEP 1
    • Tip the walnuts into a food processor and pulse to finely chop. Transfer to a bowl, then do the same with the mushrooms.
    • STEP 2
    • Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over a medium heat and fry the onion, carrots and celery with a pinch of salt for 15-20 minutes or until soft and lightly golden. Add the garlic and fry for another minute. Add the mushrooms and most of the walnuts, and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the mushrooms have softened, all the water has evaporated and they have reduced by half. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for another 5 minutes.
    • STEP 3
    • Add the wine and bubble for a minute, then add the rosemary, basil, tomatoes and stock. Bring to a simmer. Add the lentils and bay. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, then simmer with the lid off for 10 minutes until thickened. Stir in the balsamic, and season. Top up with a little water during cooking if the ragu seems too thick. Taste, then remove the herbs and add more balsamic, to taste, if you like.
    • STEP 4
    • Cook the pasta in a pan of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving 100ml of the water. Heat a drizzle of oil in a small frying pan and fry the sage and capers for 1 minute until crisp. Toss the pasta in the ragu, adding a splash of the cooking water, depending on how saucy you like it. Scatter with the crispy sage, capers and reserved walnuts, and vegan cheese, if you like.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Well, I have completed my castle diorama two days early (I said that I would get it done by xmas!). It has taken the best part of 6 months working 10 to 15 minutes at a time, OA permitting. There are about 60 or 70 knights on it all less than an inch tall, anyway it is done now. It is under a perspex case with a painted background but I had to take that off for photos, most of which were out of focus!! Next project the Battle of Waterloo which will probably take all of next year to complete as it is much larger and more detailed, plus it has to be historically accurate.

• Kitty
    Options

WOW, AMAZING, well done young man.