Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

I made a booboo, my Asthma review isn't until 20th! Must be going senile. I'd like to know which version of the poem you prefer? In the second version, change "You will hear  me in a joyful song. My future is assured, I will see Joyful places." to cheerful song - can't have joyful twice in one verse.

Sending my love to everyone.

From IBS website.

Vegetable dumplings (jiaozi)

1 Hour 45 Minutes + Resting + Cooling Serves 4A Little Effort

These vibrant vegan jiaozi (the Chinese word for 'dumpling') are the perfect weekend project. Fill yours with mooli, celery, sweetcorn and water chestnuts

By Francis Law of Olive magazine

Ingredients

DUMPLING DOUGH

• plain flour 250g, plus extra for dusting
    • sunflower oil ½ tsp

FILLING

• vegetable oil 1 tbsp
    • garlic 5 cloves, finely chopped
    • carrot 140g, blanched and drained, then finely chopped
    • mooli 75g, blanched and drained, then finely chopped
    • celery 30g, finely chopped
    • sweetcorn 30g
    • chinese black fungus 1 piece, soaked and shredded
    • glass noodles 25g, soaked
    • water chestnuts 3, finely chopped
    • ground white pepper ¼ tsp
    • toasted sesame oil ¼ tsp
    • cornflour ½ tbsp

TO SERVE

• chiu chow chilli oil, soy sauce or black vinegar (optional)
    • crushed garlic cloves, sliced spring onion and sesame seeds

Method

• STEP 1
    • To make the dough, put the flour in a big bowl. Add ½ tsp of salt and the oil. Gradually pour in 175-200ml of cold water, mixing with chopsticks or a spatula to form a dough. Cover and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
    • * To make the dumpling wrappers green, follow the recipe tip in the intro above.
    • STEP 2
    • While the dough is resting, prepare the filling. Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan and fry the garlic for 1 minute until just turning golden. Add the vegetables, fungus, noodles, chestnuts, pepper, sesame oil and 2 tsp of salt, and stir-fry for 5 minutes until softened. Add the cornflour with 1 tbsp water and mix well. Leave to cool.
    • STEP 3
    • Knead the dough in the bowl until you have a smooth ball. Roll the dough on a floured worksurface into a long cylinder, 3cm in diameter. Divide into 20-25 pieces. Roll each piece flat into a 7-8cm circle. Put a heaped teaspoon of the filling into the middle of a wrapper. Wet the sides with water, fold the wrapper over the filling into a half moon shape, pinch the sides to seal and put onto a baking tray dusted with flour. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
    • STEP 4
    • Boil a large pan of salted water, then add half the dumplings, stirring gently, so they don’t stick together. Bring the water to the boil again, then add 120ml of cold water. Cover and return to the boil. Once boiling for the third time, strain and put the dumplings on a serving plate. Serve immediately with chilli oil, soy sauce or black vinegar, topped with the crushed garlic, spring onions and sesame seeds. Repeat with the remaining dumplings.

One vegan and one non vegan.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 4,085
    Options

Hi Barbara thanks for your nice message I’m sure you’re not a Pea brain, lol, I might be though, lol, I guess it’s been a long time since I’ve use my brain properly though, but I think happens to most people, Mega- intellectual sisters not included, lol, stomach is okay-ish thanks, but I’ve got my rheumo appointment tomorrow so I’ll mention it to the nurse see what she says, bye for now, take care. X

• bosh
    Options

How are you Toni? yes you’re right about LLF , amazing amount of energy (I’ll try and keep this message through so as I’ve got rheumo appointment tomorrow am already tired and need to prepare), she used used to regional hockey player, but as v young woman, so I guess exercise is her “thing”, but I think the problem is she still eating is the same kind of rubbish she ate yet back then whereas now she’s 60 something, that’s not a good thing but we’re also afraid to tell her that, lol. Okay about folic thanks for the advice I try and have all the tablets occasionall I forget one a week week but getting better at this thanks for also for ulcer advice, okay I think I have to end this message otherwise I’ll never get anything done I’ll let you know how my appointment goes take care have a nice day. Xx

PS I just wanted to say I think mum is okay I think the whole situation is a bit of a shock for her and like you said she will accept help if she feels she needs it at the end of day thanks.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Joan Thanks for a nice message and I’m not too bad thanks, mum is in a bit of shock anything at the moment I’m okay thank you I’ve got rheumo appointment tomorrow so I need to go make some preparations take care have a lovely day bye for now. Xx

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options

Morning everyone!

Mike are you looking forward to seeing Sue today (I know Vixen is not!!) what is the treat to go with your cuppas this week?

Joan I am very compliant I will take any advice to keep safe I wish everyone did the same. I would rather hide until this is over, but there is not much sign of that so I do my best for now. I am so glad your carers are jabbed and will be doing regular lateral flows. Take care ((())) xxx

Kitty I can see why you changed your poem I loved it before and still love it. I hope it is stored safely for future reference?

I got my radio times yesterday and read it while Lucy was in Tesco I am looking forward to Death in Paradise Christmas special already 😊

Sleekipuss has been and dropped some more bushbabies off apparently they all 'want a turn' sorry. The babies annoy her a bit as they want to ride on her back and she is not having that!

Better you were too early rather than too late with your asthma review. How has yours been? Kari's has been quite iffy during the pandemic.

Lucy loved gyōza which sound very like today's recipe. I am going to suggest we have ago at cooking them ourselves! Thank you😋

Reshmi will will all be with you today for your rheumy apt and hope you get some answers/advice.🤞 Is it with the nurse or the consultant? For me it has been teh nurse more often recently, but I am under control I think so fair enough.

If you mostly take your folic acid then there isn't much more you can do to be fair but do ask them today.

Your LLF is maybe trying to control her weigh by exercise? If she used to be so very very fit and still eats what she ate when she was young? I mean we could all eat more when we were younger, but have to reduce our intake as we get older don't we? Best not to mention it just talk about yourselves and hope she absorbs it via osmosis😉

Mum will feel better soon when she is able to take up her matriarch reigns again ((())) and a large dollop of patience for you and your Dad in the short term.

Barbara what did the dentists say? Are they able to see you before Christmas? I do hope so if not please don't stop smiling just sit sideways on everyone!!!

How is your boy doing?

and your brother when is his stent being done?

Breakfast?

rudolph pancakes!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Mike are you looking forward to seeing Sue today (I know Vixen is not!!) what is the treat to go with your cuppas this week?

Vixen has been a bit funny for the past couple of days and when I checked the pheromone wall plug this morning it looked like the stalk from the bottle was burnt, I changed over the bottle but will need to get a whole new plug-in. Always enjoy Sue the Home Help coming, no special buns or cake today as I have not had a delivery for a while BUT I do have a couple of Creme Eggs in the fridge so I expect she will be happy with one of them! Have a good day.

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) you have a good memory you have a lot on your mind keeping Chris happy. Love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Toni ((())) there is a lot of people about that just think it's a cold and they think you are a baby if you go in hospital with it. They need to read about it and take notice of people and have their injections. have a good day ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and your lovely neighbours (((()))

Reshmi ((())) I hope today goes well for you love to your mum ((()))

Mike enjoy your cream eggs love to vixen ((()))

Barbara ((())) have a good day I hope its not to difficult eating ((())) love to everyone (((()))

love to Carol ((())

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh
    Options

Oh no pells Mells (sort euphemism there, lol), Toni I wrote part of a message and iPad has eaten it up, so I’ll try again, how are you? I’ve lost part of a message while I was scrolling so I will have to work from memory so this will be an incomplete and rubbishy kind of message but I need to get ready and I’ve basically don’t have a lot of time right now unfortunately, i’m not quite sure I think I’m seeing the nurse but then the most recent letter was a bit ambiguous anyway it be good to see someone about my concerns anyway thank you, yeah I’m trying to be patient with my mum but my dad doesn’t know the meaning of patience these days oh my goodness plus excess family coming on Friday I ate a whole lot of rubbish at the start of the week and felt a bit unwell, so I’m going to have to control myself more strictly at least that’s the plan oh dear☹️. I think LLF is trying to lose weight yes but like you said people have to do both, no point walking Like an athlete if you’re eating a whole bakery of cream cakes and especially if you’re an older person yes well I’m not telling the Dragon, lol. Hi also to Barbara and Joan I liked both poems Kathleen despite the “joyful issue” okay I know this is a scandalously short message but I need to get ready for the glorious rheumo appointment by everyone take care for now. Xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Toni Barbara Joan and everyone Kathleen, what a tiring day! my dad left me in the freezing car when he went to get some stuff from Tesco not intentionally but but my back got so cold, it was hurting partly due to the time of the month party arthritis I believe, so I couldn’t even put my coat on next time I have to take of thermal vest in my bag goodness gracious family life is so complicated isn’t it? As for the “well you can’t live without family” theory, I definitely could to don’t worry I don’t have murderous intentions, lol, I would look after and love family from a distance in an ideal world, lol, are you in appointment went tomorrow less okay thanks apart from being misdirected by one receptionist I got there in the end, Nurse was helpful that but she didn’t look at some important parts of my notes to almost end of consultation which didn’t help matters but generally she was friendly and listen to what I had to say, she said try reducing methotrexate dose in six months time when it’s summer and pains are naturally bit less anyway, she said it’s always a bit risky doing this as joint pain could come back to some extent but she also said that lots of people have on lower doses and have pretty good joint health, I suppose then I’ll just have to see what happens in the summer I’m not to think about it too much till then, the appointment didn’t take that long itself self, but the thing with my dad, I don’t know, I just said could you please just get A drink and a snack for me from anywhere because I didn’t even have time to pack a bottle of water with me and I really wasn’t feeling too well due to the “monthlies”, he went to a Costa in one of the Tesco’s which was fine but he took so long and just doesn’t exercise common sense sometimes, I forgot to tell him like you might tell a little child “if it’s taking too long like an hour or something like that just forget about the whole thing I’ll have a drink of water and all that when I get home, it’s quicker and easier in the long run”, there’s no reasoning with him sometimes okay almost all the time well at least that’s over now for another six months, ok I know this was a very self absorbed message and perhaps too long for this time of day, lol, but have a nice easy evening everybody take care. Xx

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Evening all

Saw the dentist bit she can't do much till after Christmas ..I'm sort of getting used it was the shock of it ..but keep forgetting not to smile 😟😅

Toni the dentist mention a denture ..another one ..or implant they are a fortune..

Glad you could open the windows ,at least it has been mild..Lucy wants new bedding ..that something I love for Christmas ,remind me when the wedding is and how it's going xx

Reshmi I feel for your mum, like Toni says she us matriarch abd must worry about you ..how is it that appointments are so hit and miss ..good or not so good I mean ..must say I try and eat healthy but find it much harder in winter ..you take care xx

Mike cream eggs ..I am on way ..xx

Joan so you were born in Oxford ,how long did you live there its such a lovely place..yes I can eat thank goodness ,well on one side ..love to all of you xx

Kath I prefer the second one ,suppose it depends on mood ..I write appointments down and still forget ..😟xx

Love to all

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    edited 15. Dec 2021, 07:19
    Options

Mike were the cream eggs there when Sue came or had Barbara eaten them? She loves a good cream egg. Poor Vixen feeling out of sorts while her plug in wasn't working properly. I agree better replace the plug ASAP (not dreckly!). Hope Sue was/is well.

Now Reshmi do not worry about short messages even if they are 'scandalously' short we all have to do them sometimes.

Poor Dad not having the initiative to give up on the drink if the queue is ludicrous, but imagine being stuck in a cold car for any length of time. I waiting in the car outside Tesco for Lucy the other day and had to run the engine to warm up twice. Brrrr

Maybe thermals next time, but I bet you'd be too hot in the hospital! Can't win can we?

The nurse sounded nice and tried to help too which is good. Maybe you could reduce your MTX in the warmer weather....maybe not. You can play that one by ear think. I am sure receptionists are trained to be annoying either silly and sending us the wrong way or plain mean!

Excess family on Friday ok you'll cope and if mum isn't up to doing much you can do your very best to discreetly help her so she doesn't notice too much and thinks things just went rather smoothly! It will be lovely to see the boys and hear their latest escapades. Lord A needs to see his favourite Auntie❤️

Joan anyone who think COVID is 'just a cold' is pure stupid! I hope they never find out be catching it. One of my friends has a sister who has been unbelievably stupid over the whole pandemic. Going away and staying here and there then getting home in time for her food box (when they were delivering them). Then her husband gets COVID and is hospitalised. She has learnt her lesson. My lovely neighbour had the carers changed by commissioning! She misses her old carers so much😔

Where was my Kitty?

Probably couldn't get near her laptop due to bushbabies everywhere! Sleek has put on her nurses uniform, picked up Pepe's Drs kit and is off to find out whether all is well.

Take care our friend ((()))🌈

Barbara that is a shame the dentist can't do much until after Christmas. I think implants are ludicrously pricey😮 who on earth can afford them?

Just get slightly sideways on for photos but do NOT stop smiling or you stop being Barbara!

The wedding is on 24th January and all is going well I think - fittings again this week. Charley's should be done and Annie's ready for just the hem.

New bedding is just lovely isn't it? Need to get decent stuff though so it doesn't go 'bobbly' Aidan would agree.

I got Lucy a soda stream!! Remember those? They are back in but are super expensive.

Must get on I need to get cracking today

Love to everyone

Hope Carol is doing ok

welsh rarebit

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Mike were the cream eggs there when Sue came or had Barbara eaten them? She loves a good cream egg. Poor Vixen feeling out of sorts while her plug in wasn't working properly. I agree better replace the plug ASAP (not dreckly!). Hope Sue was/is well.

Morning, luckily the eggs were still there, I have to get a couple when I go to the village shop because they are running a competition at the moment, there are a few which are half milk and half white choccie and if you find one there is a £10k prize so long as you do not eat it! New plug in will be here tomorrow so Vixen should be settled a few days after that.

• Kitty
    Options

Sorry I missed yesterday, the Sleep Fairy was here. Today it’s the boiler man ARRRGH.

the second one is my favourite too (poem) and both are safely filed.

all the BB’s are happily munching away but clearing their crumbs away.

Love to you all. XXXXXXX

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) you need your sleep ((())) all your poems are good. Love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara (((())) I'm sorry our teeth cannot be done till after Christmas ((())) no I would not fancy implants even if I could afford them. We went to Oxford a bout twice a year to see our gran and cousins Aunties and Uncle's. Have a good day how is your brother ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((())) and your niece ((())) and her fiancé ((()))

Toni ((())) have a good day all of you love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((()) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Reshmi ((()))that's good that appointment is over ((()))love to your mum ((()))

Mike have a good day and vixen

love to Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara how are you? Ho Are your eyes today? Thanks for your nice message and thanks about my mum, yes I know what you mean about appointments it seems really random kind of way of doing things, the nurse I saw yesterday for the room was nice and good but soon she got some kind of call from her sons school in the middle of the appointment and then she seemed really distracted and didn’t even realise I took leflunomide till the end of the appointment more or less which was quite frustrating for me. That’s good that you eat healthily I try to generally speaking but yeah with the sweet stuff I find it hard at the moment with the tiredness as well, I’ve got some new carob type bars but they were really expensive to be honest with you kind of out of my budget to buy on a regular basis and that’s life never full of simplicity is it ? okay bye for now take care.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Toni how are you today ? I’ve still got the monthlies as I’m calling them now and had to resort to an energy drink bad I don’t know but it’s really one of those days yesterday was worse though thanks to freezing in the car as I mentioned, the thing is my dad,what can I say , he focuses on one thing at a time and usually it’s himself,to be honest with you anyway at least that’s over now and I’m so looking forward to some kind of finish to the Covid if that ever happens so that I can just take a taxi or a bus without having to deal with my father I think that’s what my mother is feeling frustrated about too, in fact she did mention it relying on dad for any anything just makes us feel completely humiliated even if it’s for a lift to my medical appointment yep okay I’ll stop this rant now. Yes exactly it’s boiling in the hospital normally so what I will do in future I think is take thermal vest in my bag which I can wear on top of my jumper if necessary though I may lose the supermodel award, lol, I generally wear layers anyway yes it shouldn’t be this complex, getting to a hospital appointment and thinking about the car etc nothing is ever easy is it? Especially on the days when we haven’t got a super brain - hats on so, I suppose at least we should be grateful that we’re not my sister and her best pal, who wear those hats every single day of their lives and may indeed need to have them surgically removed but are they taking a taxi or a car or a bus to the hat - removal surgery? Can I persuade the NHS fairy to adjust the thermostat? These are Indeed deep questions that no mere mortal has managed to answer since the beginning of time, lol, maybe the NHS could come to us? I could offer the nurse some home-made Lucozade it’s got carob vegan chocolate ready Brek and concentrated spinach since her folic acid is a bit low, the only drawback with that plan is I may have to become my own medical profession and bankrupt Boots by bulk - buying indigestion medicine better than a lawsuit though, now I’m aware I’ve gone off the point and have indulged in a flight of Reshmi style humour, lol, but I felt like I needed to do it, because always it’s a humourless place this house right now Toni Kathleen and Joan I will try and answer properly at some later time I think I just need to take some rest for now, bye for now ladies and Mike, take care.xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Joan thanks for your nice message yes it’s good that the appointments over indeed I’m not feeling too bad after the flu jab thanks had some nasty chest pains but obviously nothing serious felt more like a type of cramp or something like that, thanks about my mum too. Hope you and Sue having a nice evening take care. X

• bosh
    edited 21. Dec 2021, 14:06
    Options

Hi again Toni yes it would indeed be nice to see the baby boys on Friday but unfortunately baby R has a temperature again and he’s having a PCR test tomorrow so we’re not quite sure what’s happening yet unfortunately, while LA is repeating absolutely anything and everything that he hears which is becoming quite dangerous, lol, he wants shouted out right next to his nursery “mummy has your belly gone down yet?”, I would really say that that’s my sisters fault completely because she is one of these women who thinks she has a belly and really all I see is a flat pancake, lol, been looking at some recipes by the way saw a nice one for nut butter and carob “fudge”, thinking of using almond butter for it instead of peanut one and trying it with Stevia so then my mum can at least try them and probably she’ll have no side-effects, I see some these healthy ingredients are quite expensive but then I guess it’s an investment because I can use them all the time if I do more baking which I really want to do just case of finding the right things to do to make especially since of course my mum is diabetic. Okay I could go deep into LA story mode here but I think I need to get some sleep, okay take care Toni and everybody else have a peaceful night. Xx

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone 😊

Mike I am very pleased to hear Barbara hadn't pinched your cream eggs. You must get some more ASAP and win the prize. Years ago they had something similar with polo mints (when I used to eat them). You were looking for a green/gold one. I got a green one. I think I won a fiver! I hope the new plug in arrives today and little Vixen feels much better soon.

Lucy's puss didn't poo for 3 days again! This time I gave her a tiny drop of olive oil in her food which is an option and in the night I heard Lucy taking out a successful litter! Far better than what happened before😣

Joan how are you and Sue? Lucy has got a cold now due to the possibility this could actually be COVID we are now doing daily lateral flows. So far so good. Due to her epilepsy meds she can't take hot lemon so I am making her hot lemon myself with soluble paracetamol, honey and lemon juice and a bit of sugar too. Take care now ((())) xxx

Oh Reshmi you did make me laugh!! Yes indeed the NHS should come to you to have their folic acid levels remedied with one of your healthy concoctions 😁I might not volunteer though even with ready brek!

Layers is the answer to the high temperatures they favour in NHS establishments I have to agree, but do not fear you will never lose your super-model status😐️

Baby R isn't great? Oh dear. Bless him All being well the PCR will be negative in time for them to come and see you all. I think your Mum could do with the distraction.

In my own experience men (present company excepted), do seem to struggle to do more than one thing at a time and remember what to do. Your Dad is just normal although possibly grumpier than most🤨. Can you drive Reshmi? I think it will be wonderful when COVID settles and you can get a taxi or even wonder of wonders a BUS when you need to be somewhere🙄

I have some cashew butter I got free by buying something else - oh my it is heaven in a jar I suspect the calorie content is heavenly too though 😕 Your Mum would love that fudge if you used stevia for her. How is she doing? Does she need eye drops every 5 minutes still?

I LOVE that picture so very restful.....

So we had a tired Kitty the day before did we? Sleek has been over adjusting blankies to keep you and Chris nice and cosy and seeing how the BBs are behaving. Sorry about the enormous cat tree in your living room. Apparently they like to climb....they are good with a dustpan and brush aren't they?

Is the boiler serviced ok? All done and dusted which is mostly what they do anyway!

I am pleased the poem is saved safely for future reference.👍️

How is everyone doing? Dad, Anita and Val, Holly and the girls?

What did you think about the Curtis storyline in Coronation street? I think he is ill but not physically and I feel sorry for them all.

Barbara to make it easy for you I will say again don't stop smiling it just isn't Barbara if you stop. Face slightly away and keep that smile on your face😁

How is your son doing? Is his breathing any easier yet?

and your brother has he had his stent yet?

Love to Carol

dippy eggs on a pusskin plate!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

I'm not sure what time I will post tomorrow i have a opticians appointment In the morning.

Toni ((())) how are your aches and pains getting on. Sorry about Lucy having a cold I hope it doesn't stay too long

How is her Epilepsy now ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia and Kari ((())) and your lovely neighbours (((())))

Kath ((())) and Chris ((())) have a good day love to everyone

Barbara ((())) I can just hear you saying to Mr B ((())) I'm doing to sell the house so I can have the implants ((())) love to everyone.

Reshmi (((())) is your pain wind that can hurt love to everyone ((()))

Mike ((())) how are your aches and pains ((())) love to vixen ((()))

love to Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Hey up me ducks, good news, bad news, massve irritation, we have it all here. Thank goodness for the BBs and their climbing frame and rope swings.

1 good news, my second blood test was perfectly normal - phew!

Bad news, Emily was offered a job but not the one she applied for. They offered a job as a teaching assistant - which she already is anyway, so she's stopping where she is for the time being.

Massive Irritation British Fas have changed their name. and now changed it back again, but when I click log in to send them a meter reading, it says PAGE NOT AVAILABLE!!!

Calm down mrs, think of your BP.Chris is about to blow a gasket because he has to keep editing Asda, bit everything he orders is unavailable!!!

Joan, I hope your optician appointment goes well.

Reshmi, I have to laugh at LordA, but so sorry Baby R is poorly again.

Barbara, I hope your eyes are behaving - mine aren't

Antoinette, the BBs are a ral tonic, they have been reciting poetry to me. I am totally fed up with Corrie! They need new writers and some of the cast seem to have forgotten to act. I miss Roy, and prefer the classic corrie in the afternoon on ITV3. Oh, and somebody shoot Audrey please.

We're off to Scotland for dinner.

Vegan haggis

1 Hour Serves 6Easy

Want to celebrate Burns Night without the meat? This plant-based haggis, with lentils, mushrooms and a savoury kick of Marmite, will do just the job

By Anna Glover from Olive magazine.

Ingredients

• onions 2
    • carrot 1 large
    • celery 1 stick
    • olive oil 1 tbsp, plus extra for the tin
    • chestnut mushrooms 200g
    • green lentils 400g tin, drained
    • Marmite 1½ tbsp
    • thyme 3 sprigs, leaves picked
    • ground nutmeg 1 tsp
    • white pepper ½ tsp
    • pinhead or coarse oats 200g
    • veg stock 500ml

Method

• STEP 1
    • Grate the onions, carrot and celery, discarding any celery strings. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the grated veg for 10-15 minutes until soft.
    • STEP 2
    • While the veg is frying, pulse the mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped. Tip out into a bowl, then whizz the lentils a few times before adding to the mushrooms. Mix together, then tip into the frying pan with the grated veg. Turn up the heat slightly and cook for 10 minutes more until the mushrooms are soft and the liquid released from them has evaporated.
    • STEP 3
    • Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and simmer for 18-20 minutes until the oats absorb the stock, and the mixture thickens to a stuffing-like consistency.
    • STEP 4
    • Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Oil a 900g loaf tin and pack the mixture into the tin, pressing it down with the back of a spoon. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until crisp on top. Serve with neeps and tatties and a whisky sauce. The cooked haggis can be cut into slices and frozen in an airtight container.

Hoots Mon

• bosh
    Options

Tony thanks for your nice message I am okay thanks just about only joking I had my flu jab yesterday which I forgot to mention because it was a fairly last-minute thing really I had booked one before at the chemist but had to cancel it due to my mum surgery so I had one yesterday at another chemist it was one of the Tesco chemist actually but the slightly smaller one, it was a bit worrying there awhile and that kind of thing lot of people but I wore my mask and I’ve survived and so is everyone else so that’s that that’s the main thing was a bit weird though because I was a little bit early but loads of people were chatting away with the pharmacy assistant asking really stupid questions like “ is best day for me to collect my meds Christmas Day?” What’s going on there?? Lol, if my sister and her Pal have got any spare brain hats of any description lying around they could be used by certain Tesco customers, haha. The lady was going on chatting to the pharmacy person about Christmas Day and Christmas dinner and they said that I think the only thing she didn’t talk about is do you serve Brussels sprouts? Oh dear something odd in the air of that particular supermarket. Liking the photograph of the nights it’s just something I saw on Pinterest I quite like Pinterest because you can download stuff easily and freely and without copyright issues at least I’m fairly sure that’s how it works, so good for things like make-up idea ideas I’m not a massive make up fan actually but my my mum is quite stylish and is more into cosmetics than I am, it provides nice visuals anyway without kind of trawling through millions of sites. Thanks about the NHS and supermodel jokes lol. Yes baby R with asn’t well unfortunately I think my mum said the latest is that his temperature is more or less normal or at least was before the night I can’t quite remember the details now unfortunately but he’s got the PCR test tomorrow so that’s that’s the thing important thing of course, I too really hope it really goes well thanks, yes I think that’s one of the things that’s really frustrating my mum that she hasn’t been able to see the grandbabies for so long, so I take your point about certain men not being able to multitask, lol, it’s with my dad a lot of the time okay not all of the time but basically the majority of the time he can just be so nasty, he’s being really nasty to my mum because of course we’re trying to look after her now she is recovering but he’s just being obnoxious about everything anyway I won’t go into all the details, at least the situation it can’t last forever and that’s the main thing and I think she’s feeling a bit better now, alternative she’s been listening to some silly friends of hers who have gossiped a lot about someone who almost died after cataract surgery in India and all kinds of rubbish that may or not be too true basicall, but she’s definitely feeling better than a few days ago thanks for asking.Eyedrops not every five minutes no my dad is helping her with that I volunteered but she didn’t want me involved but that’s ok. I am aware that I’m running out of time here because I’ve got really tired and if I don’t rest soon I won’t get another chance for a long while I’m just wanted to say that nut butter cashew butter et cetera yes tasty but fattening I agree but it’s nice to have a little treat now and then and there are lots of worse foods okay Toni thanks for that little chat bye for now

• bosh
    Options

hi Joan how are you and Sue today? the pain did you mean the back-pain? back pains not so bad today actually I had a hot shower which was good and also like I said my dad in the freezing car situation really didn’t help but I think it’s it’s definitely in the process of settling down thanks for asking bit tired now and so I’ll say bye for now take care Hope you both have a nice evening x

• bosh
    Options

Hi Kathleen thanks for your nice message that recipe looks great I like both lentils and Marmite that unfortunately I don’t seem to be able to have marmite anymore as it somehow upsets my eczema though possibly tiny quantities would be okay something I’d have to think about, seems very yummy anyway. Thanks about baby R he does seem to be suffering a lot these days bless him LA is not exactly the soul of discretion is he? Lol. He also asked to his mummy how many Christmases there are because he seems to think every time he potentially comes here to Reading is an annual holiday or something like that or bless his little innocent soul. Got to go and rest now while I still can have a nice evening. Xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara how are your eyes today? I’m not so bad thank you just pretty tired, hot showers are great for the pains but they do kind of take it out of me plus there’s also been a whole load of family drama going on as usual anyway hopefully I’ll feel better after a rest and a cup of tea hope that your evening goes okay take care. Xx