RECENTLY DIAGNOSED - AWAITING OP - VERY SCARED

Options
GUINDI
GUINDI Member Posts: 28
edited 8. Jul 2011, 03:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone.
I have just been diagnosed with Arthritis after having a MRI scan on my left knee for severe shooting pain. The scan showed i have got damage to the cartilage and they found potholes which until they do not do the Arthroscopy they will not know how big they are. I am off on holidays middle of June so they wanted me to go on hols and have the op after. I am booked in for the 27th June at the Nuffield Hospital in Brentwood, Essex.

There is a lot of uncertainty and fears inside me. I suffer from diabetes so I know that there are more changes of complications (not insulin dependant - tablets only) but also the fact that if they cannot fix the holes there and then i will need another intervention to have a cartilage transplant which I believe they take from the marrow and it is a longer recovery period. My other knee has started aching now so I know the other one is not far behind.

I just want to find out if anyone has gone through the same and I need some reasurance that everthing will be okay. - Not having family around me is very had and you feel quite lonely at times like this - My other half, he cannot handle illness so sometimes when i just need a good cry and a cuddle it is hard.

Guindi xx

Comments

• GUINDI
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouranging comments ( silly me...still crying). I know I got to be positive and knowing that I am not alone and you guys are there it helps a lot.

Paloma xxxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Paloma,

Tis easy to be positive if its not happening to you but when it is its akin to being hit by a seam roller! Your doing what we all have and do do.... its not an easy condition and it hurts so don't be too hard on your self.

This is the lady you need

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/forums/post293129.html#p293129

Jo-Ann and she is getting on really well now. You could pm her and ask her to tell you about it all? She might see this and tell you.

She did a post only a few months ago and it was all about it and its such a good thing to try as it avoids the replacements for a while and thats a good thing. I really hope you will soon get your head round it all and leaving you a cyber ((( ))) and a hope flower. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Guindi

Bless you you cry if you want to. This is the place to cry sometimes our other halves do not understand and are upset themselves at seeing us in pain and not being able to 'fix' it for us.

Us lot dont mind if you are upset and one day you might help one of us too.

The other knee is probably suffering trying to 'help' out the poorly one.

The best thing yo can do is what you are doing...ask questions and take advice from those who know then you will start to adjust to what is happening to you.

They will do their best to help you and there are lots of options....knee surgery usually has very very good outcomes. Yes you will need to rest and convalesce, but there are things 'they' can do to help you.

You have your holiday coming up and l think it will do you good to enjoy that and try hard not to worry too much (easy for me to say) knowing that when you get back they will have a look and be able to tell you more precisely what needs to be done. and when and how long you will be in hospital and how long recovering etc.

Lots of hugs

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You're not silly, of course you are crying, it's a very big deal. I have just found out that I have OA in both knees (I thought the pain was due to the other arthritis I have, but sadly no) and surgery is a major event in anyone's life. I had three big ops in the space of about two years, but always took the view (and still do) that the plan is to improve one's situation, not worsen it. Surgeons intervene to help, not to hinder. I cannot help on the diabetes front but rest assured you will be in good hands, the medicos are used to dealing with people like you (ie diabetic!) and just focus on the benefits, yes? Less pain and better mobility - what's not to like? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GUINDI
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Guindi

Bless you you cry if you want to. This is the place to cry sometimes our other halves do not understand and are upset themselves at seeing us in pain and not being able to 'fix' it for us.

Us lot dont mind if you are upset and one day you might help one of us too.

The other knee is probably suffering trying to 'help' out the poorly one.

The best thing yo can do is what you are doing...ask questions and take advice from those who know then you will start to adjust to what is happening to you.

They will do their best to help you and there are lots of options....knee surgery usually has very very good outcomes. Yes you will need to rest and convalesce, but there are things 'they' can do to help you.

You have your holiday coming up and l think it will do you good to enjoy that and try hard not to worry too much (easy for me to say) knowing that when you get back they will have a look and be able to tell you more precisely what needs to be done. and when and how long you will be in hospital and how long recovering etc.

Lots of hugs

Toni xx

thanks a bunch Toni...reading everones blogs has cheared me up a hell of a lot - you are all great and really thankful. Paloma xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi paloma... I know its not nice having to find us, but I am so glad you have, we are always here if you want to talk or even have a rant,I am a great believer in getting things off your chest.
    I dont have any answers I'm afraid, but I really do wish you well , and like Toni says, knee ops are very successful.
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi we are great at listening and giving hugs if you can not share with us you will not be able to share with any one we understand all the mental probs that go hand in hand with arther and will be with you each step of the way hugs val
    val
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Val is right - if you'll let us we will be with you supporting you.

I think a lot of us would have gone under if it hadn't been for each othere.

You are NOt alone.

Love

toni xxx
  • joann1
    joann1 Member Posts: 263
    Options
    Hiya guindi

Thanks Cris its nice to be remembered even if it is for a dodgy knee haha

where do i start ...... the short version......... ive had funny knees for the last 11/12yrs which developed in to quite severe pain to cut a long story short i have Osteoarthritis in both knees and my right hip, what i really need is the knees replacing but the consultant said he wasnt willing to do that because of my age and that there was not much else he could do for me, after numerous more appointments and me practically begging for help he referred me to a collegue of his (another ortho cons) who was looking for patients to be put forward for an operation, after seeing him he said that i was the right kind of candidite for this type of op so after more than a year of waiting i have had autologous chondrocyte implant basically an arthroscopy where cartledge stem cells were taken from my knee, grown in a lab over xmas (they grew to 7cm/7cm) then grafted back into my knee in the beginning of february, there have been a couple of complications but that was nothing to do with the operation that so far seems to be going very well, i still have a crutch and some days my knee doesnt feel like my own but we are only 4 and a half months down the line, your not ment to feel the full benefit for around 14 months after surgery, im finally going back to work tomorrow to try and get some normality back into my life so we will see how that goes, this operation was the only chance that i had left and i was only given a 50% chance of it working but so far so good.

Try not to worry about your arthroscopy i no its easy for me to say that as im quite a dab hand at those, think of it as something that is going to hopefully improve your life in the long run.

If you want to ask me anything you can message me on here or on facebook either way i dont mind one bit

Enjoy your holiday

Jo-Ann
    Jo-Ann
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Paloma, Wow after reading your post I felt I had to get incontact with you. My knee is similar to yours, when I had my 1st Arthroscopy, I had damaged cartlidage as well.
    You are aloud to have worries before any hospital operations or even just seeing a consultant we all do, it's healthy to have fears!
    I know the feeling you must have with your other knee showing signs of going the same way! The feeling of anger and upset. I turned mine into saying to myself this is a test, to see if I can handle having Osteo-porosis, it's the pain that upsets me, because it reminds you that you have this and it stops you from doing alot of things you want to do, but I have found new things to do. Poloma you do have a family it's here with people who know what you are going through, I am sure all of us on here are willing to talk to you. I know exactly what you are going through with your husband, mine is exactly the same! I cannot talk to him about my illness, he is so hurt about the way once I was healthly and fit and within 12yrs I have become this wheelchair dependant weak shadow of myself. So I can relate to that.If you ever wanna chat with me please just private message me and I will be there for you. Be strong, your not alone.Take care.Amanda, (bubbadog).
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Paloma,

Glad you found Jo-Ann, she about the cartilages. ( hey Jo-Ann your one of the forum guinea pigs so I remembered :lol: How you doing? c)

I think its incredible they can do that. Hers was also synthetic so not from her femur's.

Its so hard in the beginning and the fears are huge. Unfortunately there is a kind of grieving for the you that was but with a bit of luck the op will help restore your knees to something near normal; and flower these are all here will help you to get through it.

Hang in there and one thing I do know is the more you understand it the easier it sits for you. Leaving a ((( ))) and a hope. Cris x
  • joann1
    joann1 Member Posts: 263
    Options
    hi Cris

doing ok, first day back to work today which is a milestone in its self, feel like im starting to feel a little normal if that excists haha, waiting for physio to get back to me about my hip, i promise one thing no more surgery for at least a few years though haha

Hope your well

Jo-ann

Keep smiling Paloma x x
    Jo-Ann
  • dippyhips
    dippyhips Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi Guindi

I understand how you feel, this is perfectly normal I battled too with my emotions and now my op is only a week away I trying to look on the brighter side and look forward to having less pain and more movement so that I can have some life back and do alot more than I'm able to now.

It's good to have found this site where everyone understands what we are going through and offer the understanding and support as we will be able to do as well when we come through the other side.

Wishing you all the best, lots of (((((())))))

Love from Sue xxxxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi Paloma, I just wanted to re-itterate what has been said..
    You are far from alone, there are so many knee sufferers on here, myself included, so we really do know and understand what you are going through.
    I am extremely lucky and also grateful that I have a fantastic and understanding Wife, but she has her own health issues, so I come on here and chat to this motley crew, they are a great bunch of Arthurites, lol...

I hope that you are not suffering too much today hun..

Best wishes & welcome to the forum]..

e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • GUINDI
    Options
    Thanks everyone once agian.

I am more positive every day and try not to worry - my brother just told me he is coming over to London with his family for 3 days before they embark on a cruise from Southamptom so they are oping to see me. I am more determine than ever to beat the recovery times and be able to hop on a train/tube to London after op.

Started swimming yesterday and have to say it is great on my legs - highly recommended - going back tomorrow, although this time I need to make sure I do not swallow half of the swimming pool, lol.....

Sue, good luck with the op next week - what day is it?

love and kisses to all
    Paloma xxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Paloma

went swimming myself yesterday......

now l know whay the pool was nearly empty of water :lol:

serioulsy so good to see you so positive :smile:

Love

toni xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,930
    Options
    Hi Paloma.
    try not to worry to much it will be good not to have the pain anymore.
    i've had my tkr 8 years and it is still going strong.
    i will be with you on the 27 june
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Just don't over do the swimming, you'll pay the price if you're not careful, please take it steady and build up the amount of swimming you do at a reasonable pace... We all know full well just how easy it is to do too much when we get carried away.. Lol

Best wishes mi dear, enjoy your swim..

e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • GUINDI
    Options
    Will do Tony - only going twice a week at moment. I know I got to build my strenght gradually.

thanks all again fo the message of support- I did make sure this morning there was plenty of water left in the pool...lol....did not swallow any water thank God!

Just a question...is it normal to also have pain below the knee? basically the shin - sometimes is a dull ache others is a sharp pain like with my knee..just wonder as I only been getting this for the last week or so. thought is maybe cause i am not walking properly ...dont know. Going to physio tomorrow as the consultant wants me to have a knee brace fitted to use for my holidays or if i go for any walks, as he said i will need it after the Op. I will ask them tomorrow....

Paloma xxx
  • michywishy
    michywishy Member Posts: 24
    Options
    :grin: Hi have read thru all the posts on here and just looked at your last one regarding knee brace I say dont bother with it I had one measured and tailor made for me before I had my tkr 6+ years ago and it wasnt helpful at ALL its more of a pain to put on than anything and very unattractive... of course it is up to you but I wouldnt waste your time :sad: and yes pain in the knee can be front, back, down the side of the leg etc... ps I have also had 3 arthroscopies and very scared at the time but they do help... be kind to yourself and keep lots of ice packs ready
    Good Luck to you
    Michy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I hurt from the sacro-iliac joints to the ends of my toes. I am sure it is to do with walking awkwardly (I am on crutches, my leg joints are bothered with one, and in the case of my knees probably two, kinds of arthritis which cause different types of damage) and the arthritis itself. Hopefully post-op for you this other pain will go. Recovery can take perhaps a minimum of three months, be patient in that time, do your exercises as often as you should but not more, and I am positive all will be well.

Regarding michy's answer - the brace did not help her but it could help you - we are all different in what works and what doesn't and you won't know until you try. I wanted one after my huge synovectomy op but was refused, I was left to struggle for months with only tubigrip support bandage. Now that stuff is rubbish as it rolls into a tight sausage round your leg and leaves a huge welt! :smile: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GUINDI
    Options
    Thanks DD and Michy for your comments and advice. Much appreciated

Love
    Paloma xxxx :grin::wink:
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Paloma, Glad you are enjoying the swimming and that things seem to be looking up for you. Keep me posted on how you get on and we are all here if you need any questions. And as for pain below the knee I seem to get it when I do alittle to much, sort of a telling off from your legs, And when I rest my legs it seems to wear off. Have a good weekend! Take care. Amanda (bubbadog). :smile:
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi Paloma,

I think everyone has already let you know but just wanted to say, I joined only 2 3 months ago, I had severe OA in hip, arthritis in lower back and was really frightened, this bunch made me feel I was not alone and that I could ask away and would be answered. I could rant on about how I felt an they are there to help. It is very scary, but with this forum you will always have others who want to help and encourage.

I put had arthritis because a couple of weeks ago I had the hip replacement op.

Just remember we're all here to help each other where we can.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • GUINDI
    Options
    Hi Karen...

How did your hip replacement go? Hope you a speedy recovery....

Hope everyone had a pain-free, or little, weekend - I was aching a bit but seems to be my lower legs - like sharp pains and the front and back of calve - I was told by phisio is normal as it comes from the knees - nerve endings, muscles...etc... but my 'good' knee seem to be worse than the one they will be operating on in 5 weeks time!!

love to all
    Paloma xxx