I've been to see my GP.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 1. Jun 2011, 06:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a letter from the surgery saying that they had had a letter from the hospital, would I go and see the GP? Off I went, full of trepidation/excitement - was this the notification of an ortho appointment? No. It was the letter saying that I was injecting meth, humira, and had been sent for Xrays and referred for a bone scan. :roll:

I filled in the GP with the results of the Xrays, so I am back on the naproxen and omeprazole (I have been taking them intermittently, now it has to be full time) so I am looking forward to the increase in fur on my tongue. She was moderately happy with the results olf my BP test (140/85). She said she would be happier if it was 140/80 but I gently pointed out that notall of us get everything we want from life and she would have to make do with that. She grinned.

I then took a deep breath and asked for some anti-depressants. What, I hear you ask? The irrepressible and ever-cheerful DD wanting happy pills? Too bloody right I do. I can cope, I have coped and I will cope but this blasted pestilience takes its toll in so many ways. Easter was a nightmare, stuff has improved a little since but I am aware that I could be doing better. Interestingly she readily agreed and said she wondered why it had taken me so long to ask. Citalopram here I come.

Watch out world.
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DD,

Well done for asking and hopefully they will so help you.Leaving a ((((( ))))) and a hope they do. Cris xx
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Good girl! I honestly don't know you've coped up to now, with the constant chronic pain you're in, self employed and a MAJOR support to all on the forum it's about time you were looked after :grin:
    Atleast you've heard about the bone scan, you did make me chuckle with your retort to the GP :lol:
    I've told you before and I'll say it again I think you're amazing, a font of information, common sense and bloomin good sense of humour :lol:
    Hugs as always ((()))
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Well done for asking for them....did you expect her to agree so readily :lol:
    Like others have said I dont know how you cope and keep up with all of us lot......keeping us cheerful when we are down

Love
    Hileena
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,945
    Options
    Hi DD
    I.m pleased you were called to the doctors and you ssked for the happy pills i hope they help.
    if you dont ask no one else will as you know.
    take care and i hope things improve for you and they dont take to long.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Good for you DD for asking your gp about the meds and more to the point good for her for seeing that they will help you.

I hope you start to feel a whole lot better soon.

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you everyone, you are very, very kind. I feel absolutely no shame in asking for them, they fix something we cannot see but we can certainly feel. I was surprised by the fact that she made no demur at all: normally when one requests a cheering med or a sleeping med the response is less than helpful - mind you, who is doing the asking could play a part in that, I guess. She did say that she was surprised I hadn't asked before now. So am I. :grin:

As you all know, I am (usually) a positive, upbeat person, who tries to find some humour with all of this dross - that is my major coping strategy, and it usually works. I am still positive and upbeat, but deep down things are festering, even rotting, and that won't help me or those around me. So citalopram it is. I have to go back in three weeks to report in, and then decisions as to further prescriptions for it will be made. That is fine by me.

I feel no sense of shame or sense of failure in doing this. I am currently a little sulky as I was hoping that the letter would be about an ortho appointment, and it wasn't: despite everything I still get my hopes up about stuff. Honestly, you would have thought I would have learned by now. :roll:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    DD - of course you feel no sense of shame. We all know you're shameless!

Come off it, woman, there's no need whatever to feel shame in asking for a bit of help in coping with stuff that'd have got most people down months if not years ago. Can you imagine a sportswoman (Of course I'm not suggesting that you're not a sportswoman) or a minor celeb. (Ditto) handling for a week what you handle day in, day out? And then use your rotten experiences to help other people handle it. I rest my case.

As for the ortho appt? Hopefully a pleasure in store. And, of course, with the happy pills the pleasure will be greater. Hope it comes soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Of course I am a sportswoman. My best events are:

The one pint sprint (Quick! Before the pub shuts!)

The two pint jog (Yup, I have time for another.)

The three pint hurdles (Don't wee before you have finished your third pint, otherwise it's a never-ending trek to the ladies.)

The four pint half marathon (oh, go on then, it is Saturday.)

The five pint plus marathon. (I love you, MisserDD, you do know that, doncha? I dunarf love yer.)

Shameless? Moi? Absolutement!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,469
    Options
    Hi DD

Well done you!

I am proud of our dastardly damsel :wink:

Sorry about the tongue though. :???:

Love

Toni xx
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I am really pleased that you asked for anti-depressents. Where's the point in suffering that as well when something can be done, there's no shame. I've been on them for years and years now.
    If you can make your life more comfortable then I say go for it.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Well done DD!!! :grin:

I hope they work quickly for you!!!
  • Dottydoodah
    Dottydoodah Member Posts: 169
    Options
    I am so pleased ot hear you have got yourself something to help you DD. Why should you or anyone suffer the horrible effects of depression.

I have Bi Polar 2 which is a very mild form of Bi Polar. It doesnt (as some people think) mean you have 2 heads and are stark staring mad. It just means I have high moods and low moods which need stabilising with meds. Cant tell you how much it has improved my life.
    I was too ashamed to tell anyone at first because still, today, there are so many ignorant people out there who cannot get THEIR head around the fact that a chemical imbalance of the hormone seratonin greatly effects your mood. Its not a case of pulling yourself together and getting on with things.

So, i am pleased you have sought help while feelings of depression are quite mild for you. Better safe than sorry.

Big hugs xx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    you do right DD a pill can help when a plain old plaster wont , i bet they all look pretty if you were to line them up , i hope you feel the benefits real soon x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    del! You norty, norty boy! :smile: They are cautious with sleeping pills and I must admit that despite problems with sleeping I am determined not to go down that route. I don't get on well with them but if you need them then you should have some to tide you over. I hope he listens, really listens. You are going through the mill at the mo. Punch him until he relents.

frog? I like my new moniker, thank you! Dastardly Damsel - a little less troublesome than her sister Diabolic, methinks. :grin: sticky called me Soggy today. I like that too. 'Cos I is.

constable and dotty, thank you. I am sorry to hear that you have had your troubles and woes with depression etc, but honestly, it's no wonder is it? All the crud we deal with on a daily basis . . . . . . .

berty: I could do a pretty picture with my daily meds. Now there's a thought!

Thank you, everyone, for helping me and cheering me up. What a fantastic bunch you are.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi pal we all need a little help from time to time it better than strugaling on and suffering so well done do hope it helps to improve your quality of life val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh I bloody hope it does, valval. I have plummeted like a lead weight. :sad: I meant to send you a PM but life overtook me. I will do so tomorrow. Promise. DD
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Just seen this post , DD , and really pleased to hear that you asked and were listened to ! I've been taking mothers little helper pills for a couple of years now . I'm still a miserable moany git , but hubby says a more bearable moany git than when I wasn't taking them . It took a couple of months to get in the system with me before anyone noticed a difference so don't expect instant jollity ; these things can take time , but really hope it helps you ( and Mr DD ) to cope even better . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    She's fibbing, everyone, she is most categorically NOT a 'miserable moany git'. Far from it.

I have had these before and I know they work. The longest spell of time I have spent on them to-date is four months, and I am sure this little visit will be equally short-lived. Being somewhat Tiggerish in nature is usually enough to tide me through, but as I am currently more of an Eyeore at the mo, well, we'll see, yes?

Right, lunch. Another bowl of dry crunchy nut cornflakes, methinks. Yum-yum! :smile:
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Looks like that was a good thing receiving the letter to go to your GP opposed to the one you were expecting else you would probably not have bothered requesting the meds through excitement of other news - so silver lining and all that!

Hope the smiling pills start working pronto and I have a feeling your success will inspire others to summon the courage to ask for help too.

Keep smiling, Carol x
  • penny44
    penny44 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Well DD good for you, your right of course you have no reason to feel shame, but that doesn't mean its not hard to actually ask for help so good for you.
    I started on sertraline a few months back and its only receently i have realised just how low my spirits had got, so its on wards and upwards from now on.
    Oh and I will try to cross my fingers your ortho appointment comes soon

Penny x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Penny, I am afraid I don't recognise your name but thank you for posting on my thread. You are so right, it actually wasn't that hard to ask, after all they are meds like any other, yes? We all need a little prop every now and again - usually the forum cuts the mustard for me and jolts me out of self-pity and/or the blues, but the discovery that my knees hurt due to OA and not PA damage (as I was reckoning) was a blow. I won't deny that.

I hope you continue to feel better and brighter, we all need to do what we need to do to get on. Oh and don't cross your fingers: I do not want you to hurt yourself, just think positive thoughts for the both of us, yes? Good. Take care. DD
  • penny44
    penny44 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Well DD I don't post often but have a look in here most days. I am one of arthurs sero negative friends but I do wish he would fall out with me.
    At present I am managing quite well on sulf and plaquenil like your self I now take medication for high BP which seems to me to be related to the drugs i have amitrip at night time and juggle through the day with coco's and trammies.
    Im still managing to work as a pead nurse some days are harder than others but thats life. I have a hubby Mr. P and one son who will be 18 next month.
    I just wanted to offer you some support as i have learned a great deal from your words of wisdom in the past. Take care Penny x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hey DD

Belatedly, just to add my "well done" to your thread. I too really admire your stoicism and your resilience in dealing with the foul pestilence and I am really pleased that the doc prescribed the pills willingly.

As for the other stuff - really sorry that you are no further forward with the ortho appt and that you have to take the Nap and the Alendronic again on a regular basis. Do you think you'd get away with swallowing the Alendronic with a large glass of wine rather than a large glass of water? :lol: Might make it more bearable - although in my case I reckon that would make the staying upright for 30 mins afterwards a bit difficult! (Oh be quiet Tilly you old soak).

On the desk I have a coaster which says "Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life" and I reckon that just about sums it up don't you?

Love Tilly xxx
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Hi DD i am surprised that more people on here are not on the happy pills, I have been on the Citalopram for a while now and Amitripyline for night time, they are also anti-depressant but in my small dose (20)mg they are a sleeping pill. I feel no shame because they help me to be less of a monster when I have to deal with all the pratts who live in my little world.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I just logged on to log off (yeah, I know, DD is the forum junkie) and I cannot believe what I have just read, the posts from penny44, tilly and lululu. Ummmmm, my eyes are leaking. Sorry ladies, can't answer.

I have had a rough day and may not be about tomorrow: I know tomorrow is another day (yer don't say Daisy, ye gods my wisdom astounds even me) and things might be in a better balance, but I honestly don't know if that will be the case. I flaming well hope so.

Thank you, everyone, for all your support and encouragement. You have no idea (and, I suspect, you will never find out) how much it means to me. DD