I think I might have hurt myself.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 2. Aug 2011, 08:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was creating a gourmet feast for Mr DD last night (well, that was the theory) and I had out my little foldable stool which has been of increasing benefit over the years. I use it when cooking or ironing, it ease the strain on my knees. I sat on it, in front of the cooker and rang my mum. When the call ended I stood up but rather awkwardly on my steroided ankle which duly complained so I sat down again with a bit of a thump. I then ended up with a bigger thump on the kitchen floor. The stool fell apart under me. I may have done myself some damage I think, and this is how.

I spilled slightly to the left, put my left arm out to break the fall and I have jarred that from wrist to shoulder. My left knee bent under me to an amazing degree - my calf was touching the back of my thigh and belive you me it ain't done that for over nine years. My left leg was also tangled up in the frame of the collapsed stool, I guess I was in a leg/frame lasagne-type pile! :smile: Right leg not too bent, then a layer of stool frame, then left leg truly bent and somehow threaded through the stool frame, then more frame under that and then the floor.

I heard an odd noise and realised it was coming from me, a kinda high-pitched keening. I managed to untangle myself and I sat there for a while, just contemplating life. In the end I managed to turn off the pasta sauce which was, thankfully, on the frontmost gas ring, load the dropped phone into my pinny pocket with the thought I could ring someone to come and sort me out if I couldn't get up, then I edged my way on my bum, backwards, out of the kitchen and along the hall floor, not using my legs 'cos I couldn't. That hurt both shoulders and my neck. I levered myself up onto the second stair and then managed to stand. OUCH.

My left knee won't straighten and I cannot bend it very much. It is certainly easing as I am resting it, muchly, what I suspect I might have done is tear some of the deep-seated scar tissue. The bruising is spreading and wonderful colours, so I am dousing myself with witch hazel - I find that works better for me than arnica. If things have not improved any more by the morning then I will toddle off to A and E and see what they can tell me.

Come the week-end I hope to be purchasing a proper perching stool, if I can find one to suit. I am sore and bruised DD. :sad:
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    To pinch one of your very own phrases "ye Gods" DD, you don't do anything by half do you? I am so sorry you now have this to contend with as well.

But sounds as if you are being sensible and doing all the right things - but please don't be too stubborn :roll: to go to A & E if things don't improve.

Thinking of you loads,

Love Tilly xxx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    dear me dd,but we all do things we regret.Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    OK, DD, I hereby admit you to that exclusive club of forum members who have rendered me speechless. So far there are two of you - skezier's the other so you're in good company.

I'm not entirely speechless but the words that spring to mind would probably be edited out so I'm technically speechless. Any more of this nonsense and I'll even be contemplating sending you the odd bracket. But that would be very odd indeed so you're safe for now.

This is what happens to people who attempt to get off low-lying stools when stone cold sober. Be warned.

And be gentle with yourself you dozy wassock.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Options
    DD ~ i think a trip to a&e should be done as soon as poss :?: :!: But i hope you are not trying to do anything at all today ~ just resting your knee :!:

take care & keep us informed

cotton wool hugs

louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Well I have been searching the net for you a new stool.......found one to match yer pink dustpan......pink wi white dots at am***on 10.61 you will loook fine perched on that :grin:

sorry dd ...now the sympathy.....you poor poor love. :grin:

Falling is a terrible thing to do and really does shake you up,
    I thinkk you are doing the best thing by resting and hopefully fingers crossed you haven't done any damage and tomorrow it will be back to some sort of normality. BUT yes if not you must get to a&e.
    Please please take care
    Thinking of you
    Juliepf x (dd these are cheeky grins,you know that dont you)
  • penny44
    penny44 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Oh DD I am very concerned about that left knee I really think it needs checking out !!! Poor you that must of been an awful, and a bit scary being on your own. i will try to send you positive healing thoughts but please promise you will get it checked out soon.

take care DD Penny x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind responses, thoughts and hugs, they are all much appreciated. You may all be pleased to hear that my masseur (sports' therapist-trained, none of your namby-pamby beauty tickling for her) who has been massaging my creaky joints on and off for a good few years now, has had a look and a feel and pronounced that all is well - and indeed it is. I have rested it all day and I am gradually aquiring more and more movement in the knee as regards bending. I can point my toes to the ceiling and stretch my foot downwards - yes things hurt but it's a different hurt and quite a nice one - it makes a change from the usual anyway! :smile: Veronica knows how my knees usually feel and she canot detect any real trouble so I am a happier bunny than earlier today. The bruises are lovely, they are really coming out now!

Being a sensible person (and I am) I shall keep resting things until the week-end. I am doing my old post-op exercises and keeping it elevated. RICE is being used too. If, however, I detect any changes, no matter how subtle, I shall be off to A&E faster than you can say A&E. Promise. DD
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    :eek: DD!
    I only popped in for a quick peek while I'm on my hols just to check all my forum friends were ok and I read this :shock: you poor girly! I'm so sorry this happened to you, but bloomin grateful you weren't more seriously hurt, you could have really done yourself a mischeif :roll: I'm not one to talk I know...seeing as I broke my wrist falling down the stairs carrying washing :oops:
    I'm so glad Veronica has had a good look, she knows you better than any dr. and I totally agree with you re witch Hazel.
    My poor friend, I'm sorry Ive only just seen this, I arrived at 10am and I'm here till 2nd Sept but I am going to check in frequently.
    Wishing you better and sending you gentle hugs Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • ImmaW
    ImmaW Member Posts: 5
    edited 1. Aug 2011, 18:47
    Options
    Your story just made me cringe in pain. Hopefully you are taking it easy and keeping off your feet. It sounds like you're going to have lots of bruising just from reading your account of the story. If the swelling or pain doesn't go away, don't be afraid to call your doctor. Do you have an individual health insurance plan or Medicare?
    Imma - making the most of my day
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi pal what r u like so sorry the stool let you down in such a way i use which hazel as well nothing better for bringing the bruise out now make sure you rest and get good solid stool val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have the gruesome evidence recorded on my mobile - if I knew how to post them I would! :grin: Luckily for you lot I don't although one or two have had the evidence sent to their phones. ImmaW? Thank you for your kindness in replying, as a newbie you should not be subjected to such matters but I can assure you all is well - certainly better then this time last night!

valval - I feel humbled - you called me pal. Bless you and thank you. I am witch-hazeling like no-one's business and it is bringing out more bruising but helping the others too. The range of knee bend has improved, I am about to go and create tonight's wondrous cordon bleu dish of fish fingers, chips, peas, served with Adnams tomato sauce - seriously, so much better then the 57 variety. I shall be perching on my Mowbray toilet frame and praying that I don't wee all over the kitchen floor in some sort of Pavlov's Dogs response.

Oh, I forgot to say that Veronica had more-than-basic anatomy as part of her sports' physio training. She knows her stuff, she knows my knees and I am a far happier DD than the wailing bint of 24 hours ago. Sleep well, everyone, please. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Sleep well, everyone, please. DD

You too, DD. You've had enough trauma for 24 hours. I wish you pleasant dreams of.....er.....Alistair Cook? Bearing a glass of Werry? Two glasses?

Hope tomorrow's better.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD honestly.... I am gone for a day, and you take flight, you described it perfectly....it made me sick thinking about,,,please get it checked out...has for a stool I git a brilliant one really stable from Ike#
    You take care from now on or else.. :shock:
    Love
    Barbara
  • lare73
    lare73 Member Posts: 154
    Options
    DD, firstly welcome back from your break, hope you had a good time.
    secondly, ive missed your wise words, i was offline for a while, older posts explain why.
    and thirdly........oh my goodness, falling off the stool! hope your ok, brusied and sore no doubt.

in future either get mr dd to do the cooking or take more water with it ;-)
    xx
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Good heavens DD...

What a shock you had!

Glad the damage is only temporary,,

How clever of you to get yourself to the stairs so that you could stand up..
    That's a useful tip..

Hope you continue to improve,,

I have just returned my perching stool to the council.. It was useful after ihad my hip replaced, but I kept tripping over the back legs, which stuck out quite a bit, so bear that in mind when you purchase one!!

Marion x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Oh DD I'm so sorry...I wasnt feeling great yesterday so wasnt online much and missed this.
    What are you like?? :lol: What did you have in the hand that wasnt stirring the food :lol: It must have been strong :eek:
    Anyway reading to the end it sounds as if you are recovering so take it easy for the minute.
    Why not use one of the perching stools from the OT? Not exactly lovely...but do what i did with my crutches.....pimp it!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: but they do the job
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Morning my lovely, rainbow-coloured fiend. I expect you're a bit tender to the touch but hopefully none the worse for your adventures in extreme knee-bending.

I have every confidence in you that you've done all the right things so far and will take no chances if you take a turn for the worse. Even so, I'd prefer the turns to be for the better from now on. No heroics, please, just a steady, boring recovery.
    Steven Wright
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    morning DD bit late on this one but i hope your body is easing up a little now , and your bruises soon fade xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Morning all, I am pleased to report that there has been a great increase in my standard of living overnight. The bruising and swelling is still very much in evidence but I can now straighten my left knee and bend it up to about 75 degrees, so that is very defintitely a good thing. The Mowbray worked wonderfully well although Mr DD felt moved to comment (as soon as he walked into the kitchen and saw me sat, rather comfortably on my seat) 'I'm glad to see the floor is dry.' Cheeky ****. Mind you I had to think very clearly to myself 'Am now cooking, not weeing!' :grin: I may not bother about getting a stool, the toilet frame is fine and easy to move between bathroom and kitchen as the latter is, basically, next to the former. Having has a look at perchers on titnterweb I am not convinced they are the thing for me - sloping seats and taking weight thro the legs is not an option, no siree.

I plan to spend another day reclining with grace and elegance, interspersed with some more exercises and tea making, then tomorrow will be the big test: can I drive Daisy? My poor little love is sitting on the drive, covered in dust, bird poo and leaves, she has not moved for nearly three weeks. She is a sorry sight, much like her owner. :sad: I have to go to the chemist and re-stock with dullers and other stuff, and I will be able to have her cleaned at the same time. That's the plan anyway, but if I feel in anyway unsafe in even just getting her off the drive I won't go any further, promise.

You should see the bruise at the top of my bottom. :shock: It's a beauty.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD
    Glad you are feeling better and you are sensible {I think???} so know you wont try to do anything you think you aren't capable of.
    I know how you feel about Daisy......Poor Pixie is in the same state.....has been sitting for weeks on end....
    My main reason for not driving her has been the groggieness I've been feeling but since thats going now I must get out for short drives...
    We took her to the physio because she hasnet been moved and it must have been because it was my car but as Peter was driving there I decided i was driving back home....Mr H was there to keep and eye on me and so that I could stop and hand the keys to him and let him take over. I got home safely.....12 miles. but i was so sore.....so I dodnt think I'll drive as far as that for a while....but a few short journerys will make me feel I've got my independence back again.
    Good luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • Compositor
    Compositor Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Oh DD, DD, DD what are you like...I sincerely hope your feeling a lot more comfortable now, I was sorry to here of your incident, it happens to the best of us, my balance has cause me and Mrs C a few problems in the past. Get well soon and take care. John x

ps That Somerset Cider hasn't anything to do with it, has it? haha
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi DD

Stopping bye to see how your leg is doing and I am pleased to read that it feels much better. And I am also glad you have found a solution to sitting in your kitchen.

Hope that tomorrow is even better and that you are able to reunite with daisy.

Thinking of you
    Juliepf x
  • penny44
    penny44 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    I am very glad your feeling better, Veronica sounds wonderful. I hope things continue to improve take care Penny x
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi DD

Oh eck, what a mess eh? Reading it I was half expecting you to have the pasta sauce topped on you as well which may sound comical but just glad youve avoided 1. breaking anything and 2. burning anything.....You did well to get yourself towards a step and get up from there, think id have sat there like a dazed starfish till someone came to find me plopped there!! Hope you continue to heal the bruises and the legs get better/soreness eases with r & r....It does remind me of something i did when at school below:-

In lucnhtime was hanging out with my mates and were on a set of stairs, one mate swung from ceiling type lip and hung there like a primate...I thought it looked fun so had a go...BAD IDEA!!! I did it, hung there momentarily and then smack, hit the end of one of stairs with me rump.....Lay there sore and couldnt get up so they went n got a teacher who came and aksed me where was it sore - me bum!! one cheek only mind you! So they called nurse, she had look and it was changing colour as we speak, they called me dad and he came to get me, i couldnt sit on side of me bum that id hurt...Over the weeks that passed folks got treated to "what colour is your bum now?"...This varied from deep purple to monkey puke yellow.....Turns out id actually done permanent damage as still have lump on my bum, have damaged the nerve and it can only be taken away with liposuction whcih i refused as they do it when youre awake...So now have lovely lump, its a unique feature...

Keep outta trouble for goodness sake!!!

Elainexx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options
    Hi DD
    How are your bruises now try not to do that trick again wont you.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx