Selling Our House

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 15. Oct 2013, 16:11 in Community Chit-chat archive
We are selling our house and its only been on the market for just over a month and I can honestly say it has enlightened me to the new breeds of human species out there. We have had the following people to view our house which at first was done by my mum and dad because no estate agents were available..

First woman who turned up came 40 mins early on a pushbike (we just got told a name so had no idea who it was). She gawped in our living room for 5 mins, parked her bike right up against my car then was on the drive crouching, peering and being rude. Turns out she is a serial viewer and has rented for over 3 years, its a hobby in other words.
Next few came and commented "oh its a bit small" or "oh you have a bath". All measurements are in brochure and bathroom is clearly visible. Other comments have been such as "where can I put my caravan" looking at next door neighbours front lawn.....Most always seem to only take 30mins, no longer and some talk, others dont....
One man wanted to know what way our house faced and when we didn't know he went back to his car for a compass, he also wanted to know would we include curtains, white goods in price? ALso had his head up loft looking at insulation, poor dad had bad bursitis of hips too....
Last one left me fuming - they came and looked at house, estate agent did this viewing, half an hour after they left I got a phone call. They really liked the house but could we be out by November 22nd. Passed on message to parents and we got back and said we could. They live in Lincoln and headed back down there, promsing to think about it (no offer had been even mentioned) turns out they had been in chain and the person buying their house wants in by November date. So we had our hopes up this was Tuesday, heard nothing Wed, Thursday then phone call from agents saying they had not heard back from them. Then yesterday I got a call saying agents had chased them again and their daughter who took the message got very angry telling them her parents needed to look at more properties, it is important to them the issue of the date entering new home..Agent said our hopes had been inflated by the encouraging news at first and I wonder why do people act so selfish? Okay they are in a chain but my parents are over 80 and they were stressed too by this during the week, can they not spare a thought for the seller too? We have bent over backwards for these people and it seems that is just a target for some people to take the piss.
Frustrated and feel for my mum and dad but know we would never treat the home we will eventually buy in this way...

Elainexx

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Elaine this takes me back 35 years when we moved to were we are now..it put me off ever moving again..think I would sell at auction if I did.there are some very strange people out there..and some of them just view home has an hobby we found this out to our cost...your poor mum and dad...I hope they sell soon then it will be allover with for them xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Barbara

I have no idea how an auction works but I do have an idea how to be polite and not be rude. I don't feel this sort of behaviour is necessary, all too cut throat.

Elainexx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I used to work as an estate Agent 20 yrs ago and got to know serial viewers there must be at least 3 in every estate agents! But you do get the time waster it used to annoy me when people who haven't even put their houses on the market would want to view houses! We couldn't say no to them and I know I just wanted to say 'what's the point in you viewing this house when you haven't even decided if your going to sell your house!!' And when it came to use selling our 1st home I insisted that the estate agent did the viewings for us what with my health problems and my OH working. It takes the pressure off you as well, the saying 'selling your home/moving house is the most stressful thing you will ever do' is so right!! I wish you loads of luck and hope you can find a buyer soon and everything goes smoothly.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Bubba

These time wasters should be kicked out they have no itention, it would be like me going test driving every new car that came out or seeing every new build home....I hope its sold soon but not so sure..

Elainexx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    When I sold my property a couple of years back, I found two elderly Ladies with their arms in my dining- room cupboard. Both had their pockets full of silverware. And both have been neighbours for twelve years....
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    OMG caliban, I hope you gave them an abrupt talking to?

I often wonder what makes some people 'tick'

Good luck with the sale Elaine
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh- I gave them a kick-start. And a pocket search. Yes, some people are really weird.
    Best of luck Elaine. Can't you get some Rottweilers for a while? Just to keep the loonies on the path?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Elaine, I think I could make out a reasonable case for all the instances you mention other than the serial gawper. A house is the most expensive thing anyone will ever buy. Prospective buyers do need to check and double check all aspects.

Caliban, nope, I can make out no case at all. Just beware little old ladies with big pockets :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    There is someone out there somewhere, you will eventually get it sold people don't care what they say regardless of other peoples feelings. My flat was sold a month after being put on the market, it came to the week of moving when I got a letter the other persons mortgage had fallen through I was only to glad I had only had packed half my things, so don't hold your breath until things are signed sealed and delivered..................Marie xx

My goodness caliban the cheeky, thieving so and so's I wonder how they thought they were going to get away with it.
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mrs Stickywicket! I WILL have a VERY observing eye on elderly Ladies with big pockets in the future. Do you have, by any chance, big pockets? I presume you ARE an elderly Lady after what I read on the forum. Yes, a VERY observing eye indeed! :wink:
    Villier: I think one may call that "blinding greed". They didn't think at all, I think.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Chronologically speaking, caliban, I am an elderly lady but I have a mental age of around 15. So my mind is on the verge of adultery but my body prefers a nice cup of tea. It's all very confusing :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    I have only sold one house and never again it was on the market for a 2 year period and don't want to go down that route again
    The ones that really annoyed me were the ones saying they hadn't put theirs on the market yet! Grrr
    The woman we sold to was a bit of a nut case and constantly hounded us was so glad when it all went through plus we left her with the neighbours from hell! So she got what she deserved! Luckily she never asked the question what are the neighbours like otherwise she wouldn't have bought it!
    That was 15 years ago and hopefully I won't move again
    Maria :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That was un peu the impression I had, Mrs Stickywicket. But you should drop the tea. It's the gin that preserves. Though you might be a bit young for that. 15 and aldutery.....hm...why not. But I'm glad I'm not your father!
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Caliban

Nice neighbours!

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Numpty

Thanks for good luck we may need it.

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Options

I will have ti disagree with you then becuase no matter how important your decision is you can still act with empathy and consideration on others as it impacts on other people's lives too. You can get results by being nice, rude doesn't cut it and causes bad feelings...I will never and my parents would never act in such a way as the people who asked about entry date and we got back to them promptly and they didnt have the decency to give us a polite response....

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Marie

I know about that aspect of things and they will happen but to give someone false hope intentionally is wrong as is the serial viewers. I actually dont think the estate agent is very good as he is very timid and says bugger all...He showed one woman round on saturday, five properties now she has decided she is not moving at all...She spent a max of 10mins in our house..

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Maria

I hope ours doesnt take that long and I don't want it sold to someone who couldn't give a dam that wouldn't seem right. Ha karma with the nut house who bought your house, hope they are both happy together!

Elainexx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Elainebadknee: Ex neighbours. Now I have no neighbours at all. Totally off- track. A six-million Dollar location with a 6 Dollar house. But no neighbours apart from a toad (that goes surprisingly well with the cat) The toad is ok and until now it never even had a glimpse at the silverware. As far as I know.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Caliban

Sounds a but isolating to me but each to their own....The toad I would welcome..

Elainexx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh, lot's of humans around all (market ) day long. And sometimes at night as well due to the volunteering. It can be such a relieve to come back to audible silence
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hmm ...My sister lives in similar in scotland and its fine for a week or so but its very isolating specially when weather is bad up there...

Elainexx
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Elaine ,We are thinking of selling our house shortly just knocking out a wall to make a good kitchen ,We are so hopeing to tempt some one to ignore the .....lets say tricky neighbours one side ..trees and fence dont really work as they are very vocal ,not put off but will keep watching your topic good luck to you and the parents just hope you get your sale soon ,As to Caliban :lol::lol::lol: .....I am so confused ..Marrianne x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Marrianne

When you say vocal do you mean parties or arguing all the time? I mean we have people across the back from us, renters who in the summer are out everyday all day complete with young child who is as loud as his mum, dad and strange lodger who is one of the parent's sibling or mate and is as bald as a coot....They don't speak to anyone else in the neighbourhood, it wouldn't be so bad if they did cos they don't play music (just once but never again strangely) and they are in normally by around 10pm but out since 2pm, a full shift! You will find you get funny folk viewing, I have never known the like, honestly! None so far have been serious and no offers have been forthcoming...Bugs me cos the man who lived next door and got a criminal record for fighting with schoolkids mum's sold his in record time few years back?

Elainexx
    marrianne wrote:
    Elaine ,We are thinking of selling our house shortly just knocking out a wall to make a good kitchen ,We are so hopeing to tempt some one to ignore the .....lets say tricky neighbours one side ..trees and fence dont really work as they are very vocal ,not put off but will keep watching your topic good luck to you and the parents just hope you get your sale soon ,As to Caliban :lol::lol::lol: .....I am so confused ..Marrianne x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Whats going on I typed a response and it said it had been submitted and to be viewed by a moderator...Has someone complained on here?