motability car rules.

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 22. Jun 2014, 06:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I've been put on the spot yet again. How strict are motability on 'the car must be used for the benefit of the person with a disability'?

Its just that I've be asked (again) if my OH can take his parents and 3 of their friends into London and also to a local restaurant on 2 consecutive nights. We have a 7 seater so could fit them all in, otherwise they would need to pay for 2 taxi's. I would not be in the car.

I've tried to make it clear that it should only be used for my benefit but we still keep getting asked and it always ends up in an arguement as it has done today.

I don't feel comfortable as it seems to go against the motability rules but I'm unsure on how strict they are in enforcing it.

Has anybody had any problems in the past?

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

Families are infuriating aren't they, You have my sympathies!!

We're on our 4th car & due to get our 5th by New Year. We've never been stopped & questioned as to wot & where we're going & who the trip benefits but will it be the start of a slippery slope if you give in??
    Perhaps the parents & friends shouldn't be booking these trips if they can't afford to pay for the taxi fares?

Wen we've had family put on the insurance to take us & pick us up from the airport they've never objected to them having full use of our car whilst we're away!!
    Also I wouldn't hesitate to take someone, Children or Grandchildren for instance, to hospital!!

I don't know how helpful any of this been, I really don't envy you!!

(((Hugs)))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think that not only are they abusing the system they are also abusing you. The car is for your benefit and use, not the rellies and friends. If they want to go on a jolly then they should either stump up the taxi fares or use public transport. Obviously Motability won't know this is being done - it's the principle that matters. Bet they'd want your BB too (if you have one). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I agree with DD. If they want to go on a jolly in your car it has to include you and if you don't go then neither do they.Those who ask this also need to remember that if there is any comeback from this misuse then it will be you who pays the penalty, not them.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I'm with the others and they have put it so well there is little I can add. I know the Motability system is abused but, if we who are disabled are complicit in the abuse it's no wonder others regard us as scroungers.

I realise you are being placed under a lot of emotional pressure here, Elizabeth, and that is very wrong of those asking it of you. They see your car as an easy solution to their problems. The problems it could cause you seem of less importance to them.

My advice would be to stand your ground. As Debbie has pointed out, give in once and you'll end up giving in on several other occasions. This is not what Motability is for.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    Options
    Well put ladies. I don't feel so isolated now. It doesn't help that OH thinks I am being unreasonable, as if these rules are not for my benefit and I'm misinterpreting them because I'm a fusspot. I keep trying to explain that I don't make the rules.

We had to take them to the airport last year and I told OH that had to be the last time so I was very upset to get told about another forthcoming 'jolly'. I'm the one who ends up getting stressed and moaned at.

Thing is when we make arrangements we never involve anyone else!

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,

I have a motability car. Please don't allow your car to be used like this. It has been issued to you for you to use when you need it and to make your life easier. It's not a taxi for friends and relatives to use.

It's difficult to say 'no' but sometimes we have to. If you need an excuse, can you just say to the relatives that unless you are in the car your OH isn't insured and that would mean there wouldn't be enough seats? May be a slightly more politically correct way of avoiding this becoming an issue.

Don't get yourself into legal trouble.

Take care and good luck with this
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • tkachev
    Options
    Unfortunately my OH doesn't seem to get it. All he has to do is make it clear to them that motability do not allow the car to be used in this manner and they'd hopefully never ask again, but he doesn't seem able to do that. Then I end up arguing with the OH and made to feel like a killjoy.

I was just wondering if I was in the wrong and motability aren't that bothered (like I'm always being told)?

E xxxx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh E
    They really have put you on the spot,I don't have e a mobility car but I agree that there will be no end to this if you give in...sorry it sounds like I am putting the pressure on you now ..I would go and google the rules ..and I hope it gets sorted without any more stress on you.x
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    You will be asked to make sure:
    The car is used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person. This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey. In practice, this means other named drivers in the household can use the car for shopping and other routine activities, as long as the disabled customer will benefit(my italics)
    Only named drivers listed on your Certificate of Motor Insurance can drive the car
    That you let Motability know about any changes that may affect your lease
    The car is not used as a taxi or delivery vehicle or for any unauthorised business use
    The car is not lent, sub-leased or sold.
    I found the above on the website of a firm involved with the scheme.I believe the misuse of the vehicle would be classed as benefit fraud in the worst case scenario. As to whether anyone official is bothered that isn't the point. It's that sort of attitude that means we all pay extra insurance premiums to cover those who fiddle claims, shops put prices up to cover shoplifting, tenants trash rental properties etc.Please don't let others force you to do something you know is wrong - you are the one who has to live with an unquiet mind as a result and that's not fair.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth. Please don't be bullied into letting the car be abused to save others money for taxis :shock:
    it is for your benefit alone hun.

Xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I don't know how well Motability police their own scheme. I'd guess not very as, presumably, they lack the funding. If you are asking whether or not it would be right to allow your OH to transport his relatives into London the answer is clearly 'no' as Motability is a charity aimed at helping disabled people to be mobile not at helping their relatives to get cheap transport. (I presume you get free road tax with the car too? Nothing is 'free'. Others are paying for it. For you. Not for them.) However, if you're asking if you're likely to get away with it I think the answer has to be 'yes'.

I can see it would be difficult but why not just tell them yourself instead of asking your OH to do so? It would carry more weight as you can give the facts whereas if he was unhappy about it he'd probably just tell them that you were being difficult but not explain why you've every right to be difficult.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    You're not alone, I get asked this by a few family members time and time again. I also get called selfish and other stuff because I will not let my car be used for weekends away, long day trips or taxi runs which doesn't benefit me in any way.

I suspect they also want your car to avoid paying the London congestion charges? These are free for disabled people?

If anything were to go wrong such as an accident then motability would find out you wasn't there and they will ban you from the scheme for life most likely. I know if that was me then it would really impact my life as I do rely on my car to get around. Also to leave you without your car for the whole weekend sounds unreasonable to me, even if you have another car I'm sure you'd rather drive the car you are comfy and confident in?

I hope they see sense in the end, maybe giving them some print outs of the rules would be handy if they are not willing to listen? Non disabled people forget how lucky they are to be able to walk distances only most of us could dream of!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I hope they see sense in the end, maybe giving them some print outs of the rules would be handy if they are not willing to listen? Non disabled people forget how lucky they are to be able to walk distances only most of us could dream of!

Hi Elizabeth
    It isn't fair on you....{I don't have a motability car} but I can see by everyone elses posts that its not allowed. Very similar to a blue badge only on a much larger scale.
    The quote above is just what I was going to type.......get the legal definition and pin it up on a board in your house also have some extras to show to people.....not your OH because he seems to know but to anyone else who asks to use it or your OH to use it without you getting any benefit.
    Love
    Hileena
    Good luck
  • tkachev
    Options
    OH's argument is motability don't ever check, my argument is I'd rather not find out. I'm not sure if his family believe that I cannot allow them use of the car or if I'm just being difficult for the fun of it. I think it is the latter.

Trouble is Sticky they ask my OH and it is at this point he should say it isn't allowed. It seems easy enough but deep down I think he just says he'll take them without thinking because he wants to please them. I just need to change his mindset if I can.

It looks like I will have to tell them myself that the anwser is no and the reasons why.

To make matters worse his Sister has a 7 seater and lives in the same road so I cannot why she cannot take them?

I am just looking for some ammunition, stories of people getting caught, to back me up.

e x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Reading this I do wonder why they can't ask your husband's sister, it does feel as though they are trying to take advantage. I don't know anything about motability but I would be worried about what would happen in the event of an accident in terms of insurance and wouldn't be happy with the risk. I think as others have said you need to say a clear no and explain why. Perhaps next time they need to factor in the cost of travel, and a lot of mini-cab companies these days do have 7 seater cars.
    Sorry that your OH is not supporting you in this.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    If its into central London (Passed the congestion charge zone) perhaps this is why they want to use your car to avoid paying the fee's? These are exempt for anyone with a Motability car/Blue badge. I think it costs around £11.

I don't see why they can't take your husbands sisters car, it sounds to me as if someone is trying to take advantage?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Slosh is absolutely right, Elizabeth but I can see that you're between a rock and a hard place here.

In your situation I think I'd speak to the rellies myself and say, very nicely and politely, that, whatever may have happened in the past, you have now re-read the terms of the lease and this would constitute an unauthorised use for which you could pay dearly.

I think daffy has outlined the relevant terms very clearly. This is a quote from the Daily Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8842236/Motability-car-charity-moves-to-stop-abuse-of-benefits.html

'During the last financial year, the charity took enforcement action in 2,139 cases, including 829 customers who had had their agreements terminated and their cars withdrawn.'

The car is for you, not for them. You need it: they merely want it. And they have no right to put you under such pressure.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    It wouldn't be worth any risk if you ask me. And why should you risk losing something that means so much to you just so they can save money.
    They are being very selfish. I'll tell em for ya hun. :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tkachev
    Options
    Well sadly this has ended with me phoning motability, them telling me I am correct and him now threatening to kick me out along with never taking me anywhere else ever again.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ye gods. He has no respect for you, Elizabeth, none whatsoever. I am disgusted with his attitude towards you, your respect for the law and that he apparently only wants you for your car. It strikes me that you don't get much in the way of support from him on a number of fronts. I am so sorry. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Oh no, that's just awful, selfish & pigheaded. I'm so sorry!!!

Masses of these ((((Hugs))))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I can only echo what the others have said. I'm horrified, he doesn't seem to have his priorities sorted at all.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    That is just awful, Elizabeth. I feel for you. ((()))

Meg
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Elizabeth.....that is awful.....Do you think its a temper tantrum that he will get over? Throwing his rattle out of the pram???
    If not that is disgusting.
    Can he drive the car without you in it? I'm sorry don't know the rules. :(
    Can you not counter threaten.......get the keys, get his name taken off ......if he is not going to take you anywhere again and its not just a tantrum why should he have use of the car?

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You have done the right thing and, as Hileena has pointed out, he is behaving like a spoilt child having a tantrum. I hope he will snap out of it in time. At least you have now established what you may and may not do with the car and got it from the official source so there should be no more arguments on that score. That's probably part of his problem in that he'll realise there are implications for the future as well as the present.

Do you drive, Elizabeth, or do you rely on him to take you places? Or, as when I had a Motability car, is it a bit of both? I'm sure your OH has his good points and this is just one of his bad ones. However, it was / is wrong of him to take advantage of you in this way.

How are you feeling after all that? A bit wrung out I would imagine.
    Steven Wright