Wedding Ring Removal

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,396
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thank you all for your good wishes and I do mean you even if I'm not physically writing down your name :wink: . The hand surgery went well thank you. They have removed two large nodules from my left knuckles.

If you're squeamish perhaps you might be best not to read on.

The procedure was done in the operating theatre, under local anesthetic as a day case.

The local anesthetic was a bit grim because once the needle was inserted it was moved around four times administering the drug. It was then reinserted between my fingers. It did hurt but was soon over. :|

The next difficult thing was that I had a bloodless procedure. This involved a tourniquet at the top of my arm to stop the blood supply so the surgeon could see what she was doing. (The Consultant Surgeon stood over her guiding her every move.) This was screened off so I saw nothing and just felt slight pressure and tugging and pushing sensations. The sister sat with me and we were chatting until the tourniquet had been on for 10 minutes and my arm was getting increasingly painful. I did have to 'breathe' through the final 4 minutes and was very relieved when the pressure was gradually taken off and my blood supply returned to my arm and hand.

I have a light dressing as I can only feed myself with the operated hand and don't have to wear a sling for 48 hours as is the norm for hand procedures.

My biggest problem will be I can't wet my hand for 2 weeks nor disturb the dressing! :shock:

What a shame no washing up for a fortnight! :lol::lol:

Hope you're all well.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Legs, your post has awakened memories of my double carpal tunnel op viz the local anaesthetic, the screening (my sheets were blue), the tourniquet, the rather unsettling sensations and (for me) a wobbly bit once all was done. I was then given a cuppa (drunk through a straw with Mr DD holding said cup whilst feeding me a very welcome slice of butter-less toast plus Marmite, the only time that hospital toast has been tasty!)

It's time for you to rest and don't deny yourself the dullers, OK? :wink: Thank you for letting us know how things went, I have been thinking of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    .................. I was then given a cuppa (drunk through a straw with Mr DD holding said cup whilst feeding me a very welcome slice of butter-less toast plus Marmite, the only time that hospital toast has been tasty!)

It's time for you to rest and don't deny yourself the dullers, OK? :wink: Thank you for letting us know how things went, I have been thinking of you. DD

Yes the cup of tea was heaven Dreamdaisy. :D .................plus 3 fruit shortcake biscuits. YUM!

Rest???? What's that? I still went to French class yesterday evening and have had a day out with 2 friends today! Well, let's face it if a girl can't wash up she must spend her time enjoying herself!! :wink:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Oh Linda... :o so glad that is over with for you.. :o cutting your blood off..blimey no wounder you was breathing through it..now you get some rest and some pampering...hope you get some sleep tonight...((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    barbara12 wrote:
    Oh Linda... :o so glad that is over with for you.. :o cutting your blood off..blimey no wounder you was breathing through it..now you get some rest and some pampering...hope you get some sleep tonight...((())) xx

Good job I've been through labour and knew how to breathe ......I didn't give birth this time though! :wink:

Wow it's all over g052.gif

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    No washing up for two weeks? I've got a recent, rather fine specimen of a nodule on one knuckle. :? Decisions. Decisions.

Well done, you. I'm glad you managed a spot of recuperation. Of course, more will be necessary :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    I'm pleased it's done and dusted :D
    Make the most of these two, washing up free, weeks, I bet they go really quickly :wink:
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • lindalegs
    Just asked Mr Legs if he wanted me to switch the hot water on so as he could wash the pots ......................the answer was a glare! t1952.gif I can't understand why :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Linda so sorry I missed this post.

Mr Legs is indeed a lovely man and I love the way you say the ring is broken and bent like you, although I don't agree with that sentiment.

Didn't he buy you a dishwasher to avoid the washing up? Now would be the ideal time to mention it......

I have always had a fear of wearing rings so have a charm bracelet instead while the ring OH bought for me when we first met (in those heady days of freedom and good health )sits in a drawer. I'm about to start charm bracelet number 2.

So glad the op went well (although I did skip the detail) and Jack Spratt enjoyed his trip to the seaside.
    All the best for a speedy recovery so you can get back to painting.
    Elizabeth xxx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Thanks Linda and Barbara..dont post much cos it hurts my hans at the end of the working day...will PM addresses etc at weekend ...I was leaving it a few days whilst you were on hol Linda. x
    Ruby
  • lindalegs
    tkachev wrote:
    Linda so sorry I missed this post.

Mr Legs is indeed a lovely man and I love the way you say the ring is broken and bent like you, although I don't agree with that sentiment.

Didn't he buy you a dishwasher to avoid the washing up? Now would be the ideal time to mention it......

So glad the op went well (although I did skip the detail) and Jack Spratt enjoyed his trip to the seaside.
    All the best for a speedy recovery so you can get back to painting.
    Elizabeth xxx

Hi Elizabeth, (believe me I am bent :lol::lol: )

Don't apologise for missing this thread .......as you (sensibly :wink: ) don't wear rings then you will never have to have one cut off. I love bracelets and bangles as they are so pretty and in many different styles and, I feel, draw attention away from my ugly fingers :D I permanently wear my aunty's gold bangle, who died a year ago and its serves as a reminder of her, as she too loved bracelets.

We do have and use a dishwasher but some things still need to be done manually, I find. Not many and I normally enjoy the job, Mr Legs doesn't (poor boy). :roll:

I can still paint as I'm right handed and the operation has been done on my left. I went to class yesterday and we're doing studies of people in paintings. It was very absorbing although I only managed to do one lady rambler .....in 3 hours!!! I do tend to talk a lot you'll be surprised to know :wink: Are you still doing your painting?

Jack loved the seaside, thanks, we had a perfect family day.

Hope you're okay and the family too. :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    ruby2 wrote:
    Thanks Linda and Barbara..dont post much cos it hurts my hans at the end of the working day...will PM addresses etc at weekend ...I was leaving it a few days whilst you were on hol Linda. x

No worries about coming on Ruby :D .

(We only went for the day :D)

I might still have your address and should get round to sending a photo later today.

Take care.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • barbara12
    Hows it going legs..I see Mr Legs is doing has he is told...is the pain ok...and more to the point is the hand easier for you to use.. but not yet though... :) especially the washing up.. :lol: xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hows it going legs..I see Mr Legs is doing has he is told...is the pain ok...and more to the point is the hand easier for you to use.. but not yet though... :) especially the washing up.. :lol: xx

Hi Barbara,

My hand isn't painful at all, the operation site just stings a little. Yesterday I started using it as normal but I have to be careful as I did knock it a few times.

The strangest thing is keeping it dry as it feels so wrong not to wash it, it goes against the grain of everything you've been taught since a child. I manage using wipes with alcohol gel smeared on it but I'm looking forward to when the dressing are removed on 21st July.

Mr Legs does not like washing up and is inclined to do it once a day which, for me, is quite frustrating. I'm being good and not nagging him .....yet! t9008.gif

Hope you're well.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    We're a few days on now, Legs, how's things? I hope all is going well. DD
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    I think removing your wedding ring is a much psychological as physical. It has been on you finger for years and is symbolic of a relationship.

I've had to remove my wedding and engagement ring after nearly 50 years of marriage, hopefully when the meds finally kick I'll be able to get it back on.

Also, my husband has had to remove his as he has a skin complaint on that finger that is driving him mad.

So now when we go out I feel "naked"
  • dreamdaisy
    Good luck with the dressing removal - I hope all is lovely underneath! DD
  • barbara12
    Good Luck Legs hope all is well when the dressings are removed..could you keep one handy just to get out of more housework.. :)((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I don't know if anyone remembers but I had to go and have my engagement ring and wedding ring removed at the hospital after my ring finger swelled so much you couldn't see the wedding ring! I warned people then to be careful of your fingers swelling. I don't wear rings now unless they are expandable rings. There are some nice ones at the more expensive jewellers these days. I have considered having a tattoo on the ring finger to symbolize I'm married but I need to have the guts to do it before I do that!!
  • lindalegs
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Good luck with the dressing removal - I hope all is lovely underneath! DD

Hello Dreamdaisy, sorry for the tardy reply but things have been hectic here.

The dressings are still on! :shock:

We got up early this morning to go to the hospital and all dressed and ready I went to collect my appointment letter and lo and behold it's not till Thursday 24th!!! I face another three days with this grubby bandage and my hand just yearning to be washed! There is something totally unwholesome about not washing your hand, even though I carefully soap my fingers or use alcohol gel it's not the same.

The hospital did phone this morning to check that I have no worries about my operation site and I haven't but it was reassuring that they checked up.

I shall post on Thursday with revelations of the wound.

Thank you for asking btw :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    lynnoot wrote:
    I think removing your wedding ring is a much psychological as physical. It has been on you finger for years and is symbolic of a relationship.

I've had to remove my wedding and engagement ring after nearly 50 years of marriage, hopefully when the meds finally kick I'll be able to get it back on.

Also, my husband has had to remove his as he has a skin complaint on that finger that is driving him mad.

So now when we go out I feel "naked"

Hi Lynnoot,

I agree it is totally psychological and it is a sad, sad day when it has to go. I cried more the few days before my wedding ring removal than the painful day it was done. The Sunday it happened I had come to terms with the fact.

Mr Legs isn't as attached to his wedding ring as he takes it off quite often when he doing 'mucky' jobs. Mine stayed on from the day he put it on my finger in church till the day he cut it off.

I hope your swollen fingers go back to normal so that you can wear yours again. :)

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    barbara12 wrote:
    Good Luck Legs hope all is well when the dressings are removed..could you keep one handy just to get out of more housework.. :)((())) xx

:lol::lol: No need to yet Barbara they're on till this Thursday :shock: ......and the only thing they'll be good for is an incinerator :oops:

Mr Legs isn't best pleased he has more dishes to face! :lol::lol:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    bubbadog wrote:
    ...................I have considered having a tattoo on the ring finger to symbolize I'm married but I need to have the guts to do it before I do that!!

D'you know Bubba a 'wedding ring tattoo' did cross my mind too but it would be pretty painful I would think and I reckon I have enough of that to put up with ....still others might consider it as a solution. :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    Ah, I reckon we've all made similar errors - I had one today and, alas, Mr DD was right (so irksome!)

I understand the grubbiness of the dressing being upsetting but you have been doing all the right things so that counts. Mind you, I hope that Mr Legs doesn't assume that, because you become dressing-free ,you can happily resume all your usual domestic tasks :wink: . I look forward to hearing from you on Thursday and I sincerely hope that all is well. DD
  • lindalegs
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    .......... Mind you, I hope that Mr Legs doesn't assume that, because you become dressing-free ,you can happily resume all your usual domestic tasks :wink: . DD

:lol::lol: Believe you me I'm longing to wash the dishes again, it's one of my favourite chores. a010.gif I might let him continue to clean the toilets though as that might give me a pain in my hand :wink::lol::lol:

Love,
    Love, Legs x