Thumb Was Fused Yesterday

Options

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    we could have a thumbs up party for you.. :bouncing-ball:..I am putting my trapzi something off till I have this other THR..I will need the crutches..good luck Linda..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    You're so brave, Linda. You have a fantastic attitude towards all that you face. It keeps you going, I'm sure. Looking forward to hearing news of your new thumb.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I shall photograph it after the unveiling next Wednesday Starburst, even if it looks frightful :shock: :wink: .................and then we can have a party where Barbara will swing from her trapeze (that'll be a sight worth seeing :lol: she has promised though :wink: )

Zirkus100.gif

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's astonishing what this disease can do to people, or rather what it could do: hopefully with the range of treatments now available that degree of damage can be avoided. So, the great unveiling is next Wednesday? I wish you the best of luck with it, Legs, I hope it will prove to have been a successful procedure. DD

PS Barbara? I hope you're practising your trapeze skills!
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Options
    Thankyou so much for this post x well done for being brave.
    I too have issues with my thumb x I've had a steroid injection recently but it hasn't given much relief :-( x I can't believe how much you use your thumb the slightest of daily tasks can trigger the pain.

My question is what was the build up to you having your fusion ?
    I had my elbow fused a few years ago and I've no problems since .

Xx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    My question is what was the build up to you having your fusion ?
    I had my elbow fused a few years ago and I've no problems since .Xx

Hi Lynnemarie,

Elbow fusion is good because it alleviates pain doesn't it, my right fused itself many years ago. :D

To answer your question last year I was referred to a hand surgeon by my Rheumy because I had 2 nodules on my knuckles which got infected and needed removing. Whilst there I asked him if he could help with my hands to give me a better grip. After this I saw an OT who gave me a splint to wear which held my thumb in a fixed position. I used it for all tasks and found myself missing it when it was wet from washing dishes :roll: This proved that a thumb fusion was what I needed and on seeing my hand surgeon again on a follow up appointment he said he was going to reconstruct my grip in a series of four operations.

As I've said the plaster is removed on Wednesday and then I have an appointment to see my surgeon the following morning. I suspect he wants to see the position of my thumb in relation to my fingers so that he can book me in to replace my knuckles. Here's a photo of my knuckles, my fingers have all dislocated over the years, my first finger is very apparent as the big bump is the end of the bone and where my finger should be.

Fingers20and20Knuckles_zpsztdkszi9.jpg

I do hope this helps you.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Wow ! Mine looks nothing like that :-( I hope it all works out for the best xx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Sorry, Lynnemarie, I hope I didn't shock you :oops: I also hope you'd had your lunch :lol::lol:

To me they're just my hands, lumps, bumps and all and I have been a rheumatoid since I was 27 (30 years). Medication was very different in my early days, modern meds stop this damage from happening. (I didn't post the photo to horrify just to explain.)

My consultant surgeon is so impressed with my hands that he's asked me to attend his Post Graduate Course on Thursday after his clinic so the med students can see them in the flesh :D The photos I'm posting are copies of the ones I've supplied him with for the course. Geeee my hands are famous at last :lol::lol:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Please would you explain they're also my hands as I'd like to be famous too :lol:

I used to be a movie star when they flimed my second TKR but it's been downhill all the way since then. I may have to take to drink :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    :lol::lol: ......what do you mean 'may'??

For those who hadn't realised these are also Stickywicket's hands as she and I are identical twins who were separated at birth :wink:

I took to drink a long, long time ago though :lol:

PS SW they want me so much they're sending a taxi and giving me lunch .....was your leg that famous ......not that I'm being competitive?! :wink: :roll:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    :-) separated at birth you two :-) xx

I'm grateful that there is meds about now ! I've had it since I was 21 x 39 now and to look at me you couldn't tell there was anything wrong with me ! Until I stand up ( stiffly) and start to walk ( waddle) ;-) x he ho xx

Wishing you both a happy Sunday xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    couldn't find the trapeze..so use your imagination... still practicing..r060.gif just checking up on you Linda..hope all is going to plan...are we all invited next Wednesday..or do you not want to know us now you are famous... :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    Options
    All are welcome Barbara ......just form a queue for my autograph, I'm charging £1 per letter!!!!

Glad you're practicing we need you for the unveiling party!

I'll post of photo of my new appendage even if it looks hideous! .....can't be more hideous than when it was a slug :shock: :lol::lol:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    I took to drink a long, long time ago though

Yeah, so I'd heard :wink::lol:

No, I'm afraid I was never wined and dined on account of my leg. (SW trudges, sobbing, away from the limelight.) I can't even afford your autograph :( )

But please, don't forget your humble origins. Some of are still the proud owners of two slugs. I call mine whisky and gin :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hello Linda how did the unveiling go, I hope the surgeon is pleased..and you come to that.. :) x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Just wanted to check in and see how things are going for you now.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi Barbara and Slosh and all who are interested :wink:

The thumb has been unveiled :shock:

It took a little while to be revealed as once my plaster had been cut away the dressing had stuck to my scar because the wound had bled a little after surgery.

The middle of my thumb is still swollen and sore but I'm very pleased with the new position. I have had a tailor made splint which sits on stockingnet and I can remove these and wash my hand. I have to wear this for 4 weeks. I have started Naproxen again because it's an anti-inflammatory painkiller and I want to reduce the swelling.

I go back to see the OT in 2 weeks because she has to check the fit of my splint as my thumb reduces to its normal size.

I see my surgeon in 4 weeks for x-rays and to book me in for Step 2 of my Grip Reconstruction when he will replace the knuckles of my left hand.

Tomorrow or Tuesday I shall post a before and after photo.

Hope you're okay.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Glad to hear all's going well.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    Options
    Glad to hear it is going to plan Linda..you must feel better now you have the removable splint....I hope the physio goes well ..and the results are good.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Yes, all is going well and I am relieved to get the plaster off. I am pleased with the results. Below is a before and after shot showing my thumb holding the same implement. Before I used to use the side of my thumb.

Before surgery:
    2_zpsomfjpxmv.jpg

After surgery: Now, as you can see, I can use the tip again. (I've removed the splint for the photo but still have the bandage around my wrist.) Although it's still quite swollen I was surprised at how small the scar is being as though I've had the top two joints pinned. I have two very small scars on the other side too.
    New%20Thumb%2008.09%201_zpsfkzds6mq.jpg

Hope this helps all those having to consider this surgery.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • barbara12
    Options
    Linda what a good result, I am so pleased for you..it doesn't sound much till you have a thumb that you can use properly..what a difference that will make.. :bouncing-ball: x
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Linda what a good result, I am so pleased for you..it doesn't sound much till you have a thumb that you can use properly..what a difference that will make.. :bouncing-ball: x

Thanks Barbara, I can feel a big difference even whilst it's still healing and in its splint :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I had a set back with my thumb last Thursday night when I noticed my thumb had a small black spot on it with some redness and swelling around the black spot! :? When I gently pressed the spot it got longer and some gunge came out and I realised it was the operation wire protruding through my skin :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I spent Friday morning at the hospital having it sorted out. They have left the wire as it is and said it might stick out more as my swelling goes down. I had a wound swab taken and a new splint made to accommodate the growing wire.

They are reluctant to pull it out whilst my bones are still knitting but they will remove it on 1st October when I see my surgeon again. Apparently they just whip it out without anesthetic!!!! OUCH!

I have to keep it dressed and dry and be aware that it might get infected. I bathe it in boiled salt water every evening and the redness has reduced .......it just turns my stomach when I feel the wire moving!

Anyway I just thought I'd post an update. Hope you're all well.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ouch! And, yuk! But the drawbacks are informative and necessary to anyone considering the op. otherwise they might get the impression that living with arthritis was a piece of cake :wink:

Seriously, Legs, (I can do it. I really can do it.) you deal impartially with the good and the bad. You'll have earned your good thumb by the time you get it. I hope all goes well from now on in.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    :lol::lol:

The trouble is SW I wasn't told that pulling wires out without anesthetic was part of the deal!!! I was just told that sometimes they have a problem with the wires .....I now know what the problem is! :shock:

Never mind I would still have had it done even if I'd been warned :D

Hope you're okay.

Love,
    Love, Legs x