Thumb Was Fused Yesterday

Options

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You are doing good girl,..must say I have only just seen the pic of the wire.. :o I do think you could have got out of dish washing for a while longer..but some normality is good..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Congratulations! Sounds like you've made terrific progress. It must feel lovely to be able to put your hand in water again, even if it's doing dishes.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Barbara and Bloomer,

I've made even more progress today as I've cleaned my bathroom and toilets! (This never includes the bath, that's been out of bounds for 20 years now :shock: ) I must say, it is gleaming and it makes it so much nicer to use :wink::D

Hope you're okay.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    You do realise your posts are getting more depressing, Legs? First you rejoice in being able to wash up and now to clean the bathroom and toilets. Can you imagine a bloke being delighted that he can at last clean the loo again? Maybe, after all, we're not twins :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    You do realise your posts are getting more depressing, Legs? ..................... Maybe, after all, we're not twins :wink:

Yes we are Sticky because we're Fraternal Twins, not Identical ....so we have different personalities! :lol::lol:

You don't get rid of me that easy :wink:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    :zombie-cat: Another wire is starting to come through my skin! :shock: :shock: :roll:

Stand clear whilst I silently scream in a ladylike manner!!!!!

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ladylike :?

You'll soon be wireless at this rate, Legs.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Ladylike :?

You'll soon be wireless at this rate, Legs.

I know! I might become wireless but I'll still be broadcastable :lol::lol:

It hasn't broken through yet but it keeps stabbing me and I can feel it just below the surface plus it bulges slightly just like before. This is the most painful bit once it's through the skin it won't be as bad! :roll:

Anyway I just had to share :|

Off to wash the dishes. :P

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hmmmm, this doesn't sound too good, am I right in thinking that the wires are not meant to creep out into daylight? I hope to whoever that you haven't been overdoing things, Legs, despite the temptation because things are getting better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    Options
    The wires are put in place to immobilise the joint whilst the bones knit to the bone graft. They're made of the magical titanium which bone can attach to. The wires are usually left in situ but sometimes they can work their way out as in my case. :roll:

I was told at the hospital that I can do my chores, nothing too vigorous, as long as I wear my splint. As my Rheumatoid doesn't allow me to anything remotely vigorous I can safely say I'm not overdoing things. :) Plus the wire stabbed me earlier when I wiped my nose ....so it appears that it will come out whatever I do. I have a small bulge now and a bruise surrounding the wire and feel it will be better once it's come through my skin.

Mr Legs, who is a brilliant DIY man, is offering to help it on its way with his Stanley knife!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    Plus the wire stabbed me earlier when I wiped my nose ..

:zombie-cat: Ouch :zombie-cat:

lindalegs wrote:
    Mr Legs, who is a brilliant DIY man, is offering to help it on its way with his Stanley knife!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

:horror-movie: These DIY blokes are so helpful. Mine was dying to strap me to his workbench for my knee revision. It's their total self-belief (based on zilch knowledge) which is so scary.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options

:horror-movie: These DIY blokes are so helpful. Mine was dying to strap me to his workbench for my knee revision. It's their total self-belief (based on zilch knowledge) which is so scary.

:zombie2: :zombie2:
    Not only are we alike SW but it sounds as though our husbands are related too ........................ .............. f-r-i-g-h-t-e-n-i-n-g!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    These DIY blokes are so helpful. Mine was dying to strap me to his workbench for my knee revision.
    The TV doesn't help - seeing all those ortho surgeons wielding familiar(insert brand of choice) power tools probably reinforces the gungho 'any one can do it' approach.
  • lindalegs
    Options
    daffy2 wrote:
    The TV doesn't help - seeing all those ortho surgeons wielding familiar(insert brand of choice) power tools probably reinforces the gungho 'any one can do it' approach.

So true Daffy2 ...I shall ban Mr Legs from watching Holby City from now on :lol::lol::lol:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    And the saga of my thumb fusion continues.

I rang the hospital to see whether I can remove my splint as the stabbing from the new wire is aggravated by the hard surface of my splint. They, obviously, can't tell me over the phone so I have an appointment at 9:00am in the morning. :roll: :roll:

Will post the results tomorrow. :)

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Good luck Linda hope they agree you can remove the splint..it must be driving you mad :zombie-mummy: ..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Good luck Linda hope they agree you can remove the splint..it must be driving you mad :zombie-mummy: ..x

No more madder than I usually am Barbara :lol:

Sadly I don't think they will allow me not to wear the splint as the bones are still knitting, but I shall find out tomorrow. :)

Hope you're okay?

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I wish you belated luck, Legs. This is one pain you really don't need.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I wish you belated luck, Legs. This is one pain you really don't need.

Thanks SW ....and you can say that again!
    :trick-or-treat:
    Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    R E S U L T !
    Well here's a photo of the bruise where the wire is slowly coming through

1e279cc5-8a37-4670-abbd-3f21913eaf90_zpsa9d1sqnx.jpg

...and here's the solution which suits us all as they've cut a window in the splint to allow the wire the room it needs and also means I can keep supporting my fusing bones!

b9919f48-e593-4d6f-a10b-3083dccf7e98_zpst72m3dah.jpg

I have an appointment to go next Thursday if the wire comes through my skin otherwise wait till it does and then go.

It is so much more comfortable now the splint is no longer pressing against it. :D:D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    That's better news, Legs, I am pleased: such a sensible solution too, much better than Mr Legs proffering power tools with a tweezer attachment. :wink: SS (WHO?) Try again. DD (That's better.)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Pleased they found a sensible solution
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Thank you SS ...errr I mean DD :wink: and Slosh.

I have now developed a slight dent where the wire will come through (if it does) so I'm not sure if it just slightly swollen around it creating the dent or whether it's getting nearer the surface of the skin :roll:

The good news is that the wire has only stabbed me 3 times since Thursday when I had the window put in. a040.gif:D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    My thumb fusion saga continues.

Yesterday I saw my surgeon and I don’t have to wear the splint anymore which is marvelous. :D I’m very pleased with the position and strength of my new thumb, the list of benefits of having it fused grows with each task/chore I do. Some being
      Unwrap butter Peel off sticky labels Flick through a magazine Eat a quartered sandwich without losing the filling Fasten a button Flick through the pages of a magazine or book, etc, etc.

These are all small things, I know, but they make a big difference to me. I can see no disadvantages at all!!

The recalcitrant wire still lies just beneath my skin and as it’s ‘backing its way out’ my surgeon will remove it in surgery under a local anesthetic. I’m waiting for a date.

Apart from the wire problems I’m very glad I had it done. :D:D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    So pleased to hear that all is going well and that it has made such a difference. Hope its not too long before you loose the wire.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich