Thumb Was Fused Yesterday

Options

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    They have a problem with the wires :shock:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Ek Linda... :shock: salt water is brilliant for infections or keeping them at bay..hopefully they are very quick at yanking the wire out :o ..tell you what we will all come and take you to the pub after...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi SW and Barbara,

Actually Barbara I was thinking more slowly and carefully as it goes in very deeply!!! :shock:

Anyway the promise of the pub sounds good to me and if it's your shout mine's a G&T on 1st October. :D:D

How's your trapeze practising going anyway?

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Legs, I've been away for a few days and am now just catching up. I am so sorry about the setback but have no doubt that you will overcome: things were looking good, yes? I hope that this recalcitrant wire won't upset things too much and that you will soon be back on track. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi DD,

Yes in general things are still going well in that my thumb is in a good position and looks more like a normal thumb. The wire is just a temporary hindrance/nuisance because I have to keep my hand dry so as not to get it infected. It's like an small open wound that can't heal because of the wire moving when I use my hand. I'm sure it's much worse for people who have to wear external metal orthopedic frames attached to their bones ....I'm lucky it's just a little wire!

Hope you had a good break.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hello Linda hope the recovery is going well ...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Seconded by yours truly! DD
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi Barbara and DD,

Yes recovery is going very well - thanks for asking. The wire will be removed this Thursday (1st October) by my surgeon. It is now a little more visible as the swelling has reduced. At first it was just a black dot, now it's like a small, shiny piercing but you don't know where the piercing ends :shock: :lol: It has stopped hurting and weeping.

I took photos earlier of it and also the splint I'm wearing. If they're any good I shall post them later today ....hopefully :D

Hope you're both well and that's to anyone else following this too. :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Glad to hear all's going well, good luck for Thursday
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oddly enough, I too was wondering how that thumb was getting on. I'll look forward to the report after Thursday. Doesn't it catch on things, eg bedlinen?
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Thanks Slosh :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Oddly enough, I too was wondering how that thumb was getting on. I'll look forward to the report after Thursday. Doesn't it catch on things, eg bedlinen?

Yes, it would SW if it was uncovered. It has a dressing on and I wear at hard splint which has been made to accommodate it and to keep my thumb from moving whilst the bones knit. I'm longing to get rid of the splint and wire!

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Right this is a photo of the protruding wire. Although it just looks like a grey spot on the picture it stands about 1mm proud of my thumb more if my hands are cold :shock:
    c8ce494d-09ba-4904-96d2-b7c01daa3543_zps1stwcwwa.jpg

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    This is the splint worn after the plaster was removed. You're provided with stockinet to wear underneath but it's comfortable without as it's tailor made to fit perfectly.

0ee74809-a80b-400b-a4a6-5f46a6173f49_zpsyehu1nl2.jpg

cb1c9977-43a6-4e6f-9355-70625581d1ac_zpsbtseynvl.jpg

I've been wearing this for 4 weeks now and it seems to have gone on forever! Roll on Thursday :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi all,

For those still following this thread I thought I'd let you know how things are progressing as it's now Thursday and six weeks post op.

I had the protruding wire removed this morning which was just a quick pull with pliers (by the surgeon and not Mr Legs :wink:) and was easier than getting a splinter out! (Apparently the body starts to reject the wire and therefore it becomes loose anyway, making extraction easier.)

I have three remaining wires inside my thumb and that's where they stay unless they decide to work their way out too but I think that's unlikely at this stage.

It’s now redressed and I have a brand new sparkly splint ….well it’s not sparkly but it is new! :lol:

My x-rays show that the bones are starting to knit together and I have to wear the new splint till 12th November. I don’t mind this because when I remove the dressing in 2 days time I shall be able to wet my hand again and that means I can wash my hands and do my wet chores again as long as I keep the splint on!

I can remove my splint in the evening to exercise the lowest thumb joint as long as I don't attempt to move the other two fused joints. I have actually been doing that for a little while now.

Things are looking up. :D

Thanks for reading k030.gif

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well, then.

It's looking good :D

Thumbs up, Legs :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Great news. Glad to hear it's all going well
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Thank you SW and Slosh.

The top joint feels a little sore at the moment but that could be because I have a new splint ...I shall keep my eye on it. 0_35.gif

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Progress is obviously being made and this is good news! I am very pleased for you, Legs, and I hope things continue in this positive vein. DD
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hello Linda so glad to hear the recovery is going good..we never know with these things..ouch the wire sounded a bit nasty ..but glad that bit is over with ...you carry on improving...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Thank you DD and Barbara.

I washed the dishes today, with both hands wearing my splint, for the first time in 6 weeks ...I believe some sort of medal is in order???

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,473
    Options
    Oh Definitely Legs :)

n015.gif

For you, who has been, a bit of a hero!

Love

Toni xxx

k050.gif(went a bit woozy when you told us about the wire removal.....ooops)
  • lindalegs
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Oh Definitely Legs :)

n015.gif

For you, who has been, a bit of a hero!

Love, Toni xxx

Thanks Toni, but I do think the only people on here who are heroes are your Lucy first and then you. I know how hard it is to support those we love and watch how they suffer. I do look on your thread but I ran out of things to say. Sorry. Please know you and Lucy are always in my thoughts.

Whoops .....looks like I hijacked my own thread!!! :shock: :oops: :wink:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Many congratulations on being able to wash up - it's proper progress when one can return to the humdrum realities of life! Has Mr Legs stood down from domestic duty? DD
  • lindalegs
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Many congratulations on being able to wash up - it's proper progress when one can return to the humdrum realities of life! Has Mr Legs stood down from domestic duty? DD

Mr Legs has stood down from domestic duties, yes, but he's gone back to putting a sink in the downstairs toilet for me which means knocking down walls, putting in drainage and other plumbing then redecorating ...... so I'm not complaining :wink: I'll be able to wash my hands in my new sink soon. :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x