Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Rowing

loopy_dooloopy_doo Member Posts: 2
edited 4. Dec 2020, 14:40 in Let's Move

Hello,

I have RA mainly focused in my hands but also affecting my knees. I wondered if rowing was an appropriate activity or will it just cause irritation and a flare up?

Thanks

Comments

• chrisbchrisb Moderator Posts: 206

Hi @loopy_doo , welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

I note that you have RA primarily in your hands but also impacting your knees. You’d like to know if rowing is a suitable activity given your condition.

Whilst I couldn’t find any specific advice in our website relating to Rowing this link gives you advice about the types of exercise that you can do with RA which I hope helps. It talks about how low impact exercise is fine and you can still push yourself.

For general information about exercising with RA please see:

It’s possible that other forum members have rowing as their hobby and can share their experiences.

I hope that you receive useful feedback from the forum.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

• Airwave!Airwave! Member Posts: 2,427

I have rowed my dinghy to get to my moored boat and if you overreach your ability it does hurt, however arther is rarely a condition that’s static and setting yourself up with a boat and somewhere to keep it may prove a ‘boat too far’ if not now then later?

An outboard proved better in the end😀.

pits a grin, honest!