For those who’ve been vaccinated, any ill effects pls?

Options

Comments

• jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Options

As an aside to this discussion, my RA Nurse advised missing one or two biologic injections either side of my vaccine, just to give my immune system time to deal with it. Much the same as when I have an infection. Day after the vaccine I had generalised aches & felt very tired. Paracetamol & 2 hrs sleep helped. Next day, the aches were gone, still a bit fatigued but better. Day after that, I was fine. Most people I know of who experience significant side effects, tend to have had Covid.

• Scrummycake
    Scrummycake Member Posts: 14
    Options

I am new to this site too. However, I was active on the old Arthritis Care site years ago, under the name NooNoo - some may remember me ;)

I had the AZ jab on 31/1 and felt really awful for about 5 days (chills, flu symptoms, headache, nausea, also had a numbness in my face for 4 days, like I’d been to the dentist) and have also been in quite a bad flare up since. I had ‘uncontrolled RA’ prior to the jab but had held off starting a biologic because of the concerns with covid and lowered immunity. My GP refused to report my adverse effects, so I reported them via the yellow card. However, all you get is an email thanking you for the useful feedback.

I have really struggled to get any advice on having the second jab, which is due end of April. My GP referred me to my rheumy consultant, who referred me to the AstraZeneca helpline. After giving my full medical history and side effects to AZ, I was told the jab has been thoroughly tested and deemed safe but if I was concerned to contact my GP!! Eventually I emailed an immunologist who has said to have the second jab as the adverse effects are reported as being less severe on the second one. But as I am still in flare up I am really not sure that is sensible.

I note that someone on here mentioned iron levels dropping. In 2019 I had a “virus” (the hospital never found out what was wrong, despite having blood tests every few days, x-rays, echocardiogram, CT scan...) which I think sent me into a cytokine storm as my CRP went up to 295 and my Hb dropped to 7. I ended up having iron infusions and after a few months of total rest started to feel better. I have since learned that it is possible to have inflammation induced anaemia, so I assume that is what I had and the other forum member may also have.

On an additional point, from those that I know who have had the AZ jab, those over 60 (with and without health conditions) have had no real problems. However, those younger and in particular those in their 20’s have had quite bad reactions - fever, chills, flu symptoms and been confined to bed for a day or so. I think maybe the AZ jab triggers a very strong immune response in those who are not immunosuppressed.

• Dorothy
    Dorothy Member Posts: 11
    Options

I had my first dose of Pfizer on Friday morning. Incredibly painful left arm which lasted for 24 hours, achey joints & muscles all over and also extremely painful joints, but not all at once (knees, then ankles, then hips, then back/neck/shoulders and now back to my ankles!) Also feeling really wiped out, cold and sleepy - I've spent most of the last two days clinging to the radiator!

I've been told the second dose of Pfizer is worse than the first one...urgh!

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131
    Options

Dorothy- my parents had their second pfizer on Saturday- no ill effects aside from one slightly sore arm. nothing else. Not everyone has a bad time on second dose :)

• Kazza52
    Kazza52 Member Posts: 74
    Options

Hi everyone,

I had my second Pfizer jab yesterday and was told that after two weeks I should have 97% protection.

Before I had both my first and second jabs I did leave off taking my Methotrexate on the due day I was meant to take it as I was very worried that it would interact with the COVID vaccine. I have not had any bad reaction to the both Pfizer vaccines except for a very sore arm.

I went back to work two weeks ago and now I have had both vaccines I feel reassured as prior to having the jabs I was petrified of getting COVID as my immune system is non existent due to my RA and taking Methotrexate.

I know it is up to each individual whether they have the vaccine but you only have to look at the sad death rate in this Country from COVID to see that having the vaccine does give us protection from COVID and the death rates/hospitalisation admissions have decreased considerably since the introduction of the vaccine rollout.

Stay safe everyone.

Karen 🐶

• Kazza52
    Kazza52 Member Posts: 74
    Options

I agree with Helen our sincerest thanks must go to the scientists, etc, on managing to get vaccines out in a relatively short period of time. Normally, vaccines take years to develop but due to the brilliant scientists, doctors, etc, these were rolled out in months.

P.S. I do love Professor Chris Whitty when he appears on the telly!!

Karen🐶

• EOSDhusband
    Options

AOSD, Hydroxychloroquine and Pfizer: any experiences?

I am asking on behalf of my wife (36 years old) who suffers from a rare condition, AOSD (Adult Onset Still's Disease) and has been prescribed by the rheumatologist to take hydroychloroquine permanently. It works well, she rarely has a slight flare.

Has anyone here had a Pfizer shot in a similar situation? Have you had any flares or other abnormalities?

• ChrisK
    ChrisK Member Posts: 37
    edited 26. Apr 2021, 10:11
    Options

Good morning @EOSDhusband

Welcome to our Versus Arthritis forum. Here you will find our members are friendly, helpful and empathic. They will answer any of your questions/queries as they have found them in relation to their own condition.

The posts above speak of the members' experiences in receiving their Covid-19 vaccinations. These members talk about the side effects they have experienced with their jab. You are asking on behalf of your wife who has Adult Onset Still's Disease (AOSD) who is taking hydroychloroquine permanently who is concerned about having the vaccination.

Versus Arthritis produce many booklets and fact sheets on arthritis and its related conditions. Below is a link which speaks of the drug hydroxychloroquine which may be interest to you.:

Hydroxychloroquine | Side-effects, uses, time to work (versusarthritis.org)

It would be a good idea for your wife, or you on her behalf, spoke to her GP or Rheumatologist, so that they could tell you whether it will be safe for your wife to have the vaccination. Also another place to find out the answer would be to speak to your local Pharmacist who would have knowledge of both types of drug, and it may be quicker to get to see him in your local chemist.

Looking forward to reading your future posts and seeing how your wife is getting along. Take care

Best wishes

ChrisK

• EOSDhusband
    EOSDhusband Member Posts: 4
    edited 26. Apr 2021, 10:22
    Options

Hi, ChrisK, yes, that is what I am asking about: any side effects in a similar situation (AOSD with standard treatment)? AOSD is a rare condition, and I hope I can can her from other patients what they experienced after the vaccination.

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi @EOSDhusband

Welcome from me too. Quite a few people with varous arthritis conditions also take hydroxychloroquine and I haven't heard anything to indicate a particular problem with any of the vaccines currently on offer. I know it wasn't helpful in relieving symptoms or curing covid itself!

I've asked our team if they know of anything, I'll post the reply when it arrives. In the mean time some members taking hydroxy might pop in to help

Take care

Yvonne x

• EOSDhusband
    Options

This illness is so rare... many doctors never heard of it, but it's changing, and that is due to Covid: a severe AOSD flare and a severe case of Covid cause the immune system to overreact and attack the body practically the same way ("Cytokine Storm"). So, some scientists researching Covid become curious about AOSD. Medical science is making tremendous strides right now.

• JohnMVS
    JohnMVS Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi @EOSDhusband

Since a few days after having the Astrazenica vaccine my OA in my left hand has gone into overdrive. The pain and swelling is so much worse then before. Maybe just a coincidence but not every side effect has been noted as yet.

Kind regards,

John

• EOSDhusband
    Options

News from "my AOSD wife": she got the first Pfizer/Biontech vaccination yesterday at 8 AM. Some pain in the shoulder, getting worse in the evening. Slightly elevated temperature, slight headaches and some dizziness in the evening, she got very tired and went to bed early. After a good sleep all symptoms were half gone and have now vanished (it's 6PM here). The doctor had advised her to not take painkillers for a few hours and not drink alcohol for a few days.

The symptoms probably show that there is indeed a clear reaction of the immune system to the vaccination.

• Danny
    Danny Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi,

3rd day now after pfizer first shot, was having a form of spondylitis (not completely diagnosed) before but no treatment (things are well managed ), and I'm having headaches but bearable, and more worrying because of new joint pains could not do my usual walk without pain. Weird pains all over but bearable and moving from place to place. Weird things is that those pains are worse on the 3rd day except for my "shot" arm.

Not regretting so far but I hope it will get better soon.

Danny

• Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Member Posts: 25
    Options

Ahaha, joint/bone pain EVERYWHERE was a 3-day side effect when I just started adalimumab the other week. It waa extraordinary interesting! I had no idea those places could hurt! 😃💪😂😩

• Flycatcher
    Options

Had 2 doses of AZ. First time knocked me out with flu symptoms and fever for 1 day. Second time - a beeze! No side effects whatsoever, I was so disappointed 😂

• Flycatcher
    Options

My dactylitis got pretty bad a week after the shot... But then it was pretty bad before that, for what seems like months! Oh remission, come to me already! 🙏😅

That's the thing with flare ups, you never know if it's just a coincidence. I think mine is somehow related to periods/hormonal fluctuations, but I don't think it's clinically provably currently.

Being OK with uncertainty is my new hobby 😎🙄

• Danny
    Danny Member Posts: 3
    Options

Quick updates guys.

I'm doing much much better, seems the side effects are now gone since my Pfizer shot. My joints has been bad from day 2-3 to day 6-7 but the pains progressively disappeared (no more weird headaches after day 3/4). My advice is if you get some flare up don't panic, like for any flare cool down on movements / sports / walks but don't stay still. I used my step counter to progressively increase daily steps, on day 5 I was still tired and stressed but went for a far place from home to change my mind and it worked pretty well. Now I'm almost back to normal. I hope the 2nd shot won't be too harsh but I guess it's still better than covid for sure !

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hi @Danny - just a quick welcome to the online community and thank you for sharing your experiences of living with spondylitis and your reaction to the jab to support one of our members. It's people like you who make the community such a friendly place, and I hope you continue to post.

So many of us have found that gentle exercise often helps with the pain of arthritis, as well as helping us to improve our mood. It looks like you are really finding benefit in keeping moving. There's a dedicated space on the Versus Arthritis website where you can share your experiences and tips for keeping moving - you might find it interesting:

All the best,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Davy
    Davy Member Posts: 7
    edited 15. May 2021, 18:01
    Options

Just to mention, I had my 2nd jab (Astra Zenica) a couple of weeks ago and on both times, I had no side effects.

Compared to many others, I count myself fortunate.

I really hope this vaccine will be effective, to protect everyone against the "Indian variant" or any other strains that emerge.

Davy

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

Brilliant @Davy

I think we are all very very lucky that vaccines even exist🙂 My fingers are firmly crossed they remain effective against the Indian variant and any future mustations too🤞

• bubblegum226
    Options

I'm on metoject pens and 35 living with ra and palidromnic rheumatism, I had first dose of astral zeneca I'm not going to lie the first doze knocked me for six I felt like I was hit by a bus for 2 days , had my second dose a few weeks ago which I was dreading after having the first but I was absolutely fine despite it now not being reccomended for my age group x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

@bubblegum226 same with my youngest at 22 havig the second one when we knew about this issue with AZ is so scary! She had leukaemia and had allsorts of clotting issues a few years back. So scary I think, but getting COVID is scarier.

She had hers on Thursday and on Sunday had a migraine (with aura/blurred vision) I was terrified until it eased off.

• duffer
    duffer Member Posts: 46
    Options

I had my second Pfizer jab on 7 May - the nurse warned me I could have the same side effects as the first and they could be worse. Cheered me up no end - but she was right. Spent several hours in bed on and off for a week - aching and feeling sick. BUT how much of these side effects were caused by the panic attacks I suffer from - debatable! I live alone and am housebound and it was scary - who do you ask for advice these days? I'm tired of being told I need anti-anxiety/depression tabs - all of which have rotten side effects because I tried a couple. I do not, fortunately and hope never to suffer from depression. Anxiety - yes - and who wouldn't - it's not natural to be alone which apart from a weekly carer and four outings (two for the jabs and two to the dentist) in 16 months. Having done all that moaning I rang and old friend and quite frankly she left me feeling utterly ashamed. Both her kidneys have failed and she is doing her dialysis at home. Truly all I have is osteo and panic attacks. I should be so grateful and I am! Ok for anyone else who suffers from the Pfizer jab side effects, they do eventually subside! Helen.

• Ben91
    Ben91 Member Posts: 12
    Options

I am 29 and I also have AOSD. I received the Oxford Astazenica vaccine in February, with my second dose in April.

I take azathiaprine as my medication, and suffered mild symptoms after the first jab. Mostly fatigue, but I had a slight temperature about 12 hours after. I had an early night but felt okay the next morning. No side effects after my second jab.