Leflunomide and copd

Dawney54
Dawney54 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi.My name is Dawn,I’m 66,and I have rheumatoid arthritis and Copd

im a newbie so excuse me if I put anything I shouldn’t 😊

I am on leflunomide,but I also have Copd,is there anyone else on this forum that takes these meds with copd please?

thank you

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

Hi @Dawney54 - Welcome to the online community!

I see you have Rheumatoid Arthritis and have been prescribed leflunomide and you also have COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) .

Don't worry about putting things you shouldn't - our guidelines are simple and boil down to being polite. If you're worried have a look at them here: Community Guidelines — Versus Arthritis

We have some information on Leflunomide, and I can't see that there is any indication it would react badly with COPD. Have a read for yourself:

I've done some googling on your behalf, and found that Leflunomide can actually be considered:

"Leflunomide is a viable alternative agent for pulmonary and extrapulmonary sarcoidosis. Leflunomide appears to facilitate reduction of steroid dose and can be considered as monotherapy or as add-on therapy in cases of progressive disease."

Have a look at the scientific journal about this (linked below) if you want all the details. But it looks like it may actually help pulmonary issues, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Do have a look around the community and join in anywhere you find interesting - everyone is friendly and happy to talk to new people.

Lovely to meet you!

Shell

• Hi I've had rumitoid arthritis for 3 years but also have tendonitis in same wrist so took this long to be diagnosed, I have tried dexameth don't know how to spell it sorry,I couldn't tolerate it so now on leflunomide, no side effects yet ,except high blood pressure and headache, due to have copd test on Fri, oh and I suffer terrible acid from taking naproxen for 3 years till the relized what it was,feeling exhausted 😩

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

Hi @Superkings1 and welcome to the Community. We are friendly and supportive and hopefully that will be your experience as well.

Hopefully the leflunomide will do the job and help with your rheumatoid arthritis. I've put some info below on it.

As regards the acid has the GP prescribed any stomach calming meds to take along with the naproxen? If not I would go back and ask.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Splodge
    Splodge Member Posts: 14

Yes, omeprazole and food should be taken with naproxen, I have been advised.