JAK Inhibitor

Options

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of switching from a biologic to a JAK inhibitor? I’m currently on steroids, Sulfasalazine, Hydroxychloroquine and bi-weekly biologic (Cimzia) injection for RA. Trying to taper steroids but experiencing increased disease activity so my consultant has given me the option to switch out the biologic for a JAK inhibitor and I’m not sure what to do.

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @AlexaH - welcome to the online community!

I see you have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and your doctor has suggested that as your disease activity is increasing you swap your biologic treatment for a JAK inhibitor, and you're looking for more information about this.

There are two main JAK inhibitors - baricitinib and tofacitinib. This is a relatively new type of treatment which is offered to people who cannot take DMARDs or biologicals, or tried them but found they were not effective. It can be taken with or without methotrexate.

We have had a couple of people mention that they are starting on JAK inhibitors recently - maybe if you asked them for an update they would have some information for you?

Do have a look around the community and see if you can find anything else which is useful to you.

Lovely to meet you!

Shell

• Saltmarsh
    Saltmarsh Member Posts: 42
    Options

I was started on Baricitinib in 2018 and was very fortunate to respond rapidly. It has to be discontinued if antibiotics are prescribed - but I have no side effects except for random flushes. Best wishes on your RA journey.

• AlexaH
    AlexaH Member Posts: 3
    Options

That’s really helpful and good to know too re the antibiotics. Appreciate you taking the time to comment, thank you!