Hi everyone.

Shirl395
Shirl395 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi all, I was diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis in early 2021 and been struggling ever since 2020. I am 28 now and have always been very active, fit and healthy. Up until 2021 I travelled the world as a mechanic within the Formula 1 paddock, a stressful hectic lifestyle which was maybe the trigger.

I’m still struggling with finding the right medications and finding it difficult even just going to work or doing anything that I used to enjoy.

Hoping to find a sense of community and be able to help others. This is the start of my story I know it will get better.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Good Morning @Shirl395

A very warm welcome to the Online Community.

I see you have a fairly new diagnosis of Psoriatic Arthritis and your medication is still not quite right. That can take some time as you say this is very much the start of your journey and things really should get better for you. I hope it isn't preventing you from doing your job which sounds really amazing?

There are a lot of members on here who also have Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) like you so I expect you will find plenty of relevant posts to read.

Although I am fairly sure you will have read plenty of information about your condition I am going to attach a link on the subject (It contains some personal stories) as well as one entitled 'busting the myths about Psoriatic Arthritis'

Do please join in wherever you feel comfortable this is a friendly community and very welcoming.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Shirl395
    Shirl395 Member Posts: 3

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Unfortunately I have already had to change jobs although still racing but now factory based and even that is a struggle, been through a few different medications and just coming up to 12 weeks on joint therapy methotrexate and sulfasalazine although can’t come off 15mg steroids a day due to the pain.

Thanks again I’m sure that is some light teading to catch up on! You are never well enough I formed and can always learn!

Ben

• Bea371
    Bea371 Member Posts: 8

Hey Ben,

I feel in a similar situation, are you feeling any better?.

How have you found the methotrexate, I’m just about to try it again 😬. I hope your flare up has gone down.

Bea

• Peppercorn
    Peppercorn Member Posts: 19

Hi Ben, welcome.

• Hello Ben

Welcome to the community :)

Medication is a bit of trial and error I think...everyone is so different so it might take some time for the right one for you. Hope you find it soon and start to feel better. Have you tried any other medications other than Methotrexate?

Really sorry to hear about you changing roles in your career, I know how debilitating it can become and it sort of feels like its taking away your life. P.S me and my partner are huge F1 fans :) looking forward to Silverstone soon.

Hopefully you'll find the right medication so you can continue to do all the things you love. Good luck