Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis

Options
Lily_Mouse
Lily_Mouse Member Posts: 14
edited 15. Aug 2022, 14:57 in Chat to our Helpline Team

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with hip and lower spine ostearthritis. I have seen a surgeon who is recommending lower spinal surgery (which I am extremely reluctant to have). I also have been diagnosed recently with osteoporosis of the spine. I wondered how one could impact on the other, and what are the best lifestyle strategies to take to ease both conditions (with respect to the pain)?..I am really keen to embark on an exercise programme that would support both conditions as I would very much prefer to help myself naturally and holistically through diet, exercise and pain medication as and when necessary. I am 53 and have been taking HRT for a few years and have now started also to take 25mg of amytriptiline...please can you offer any suggestions for me given my particular

When I research exercises I can't seem to find any that take into account both conditions so if you have any advice I would very much appreciate it. Thanks very much.

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Dear @Lily_Mouse

Thanks for your post to the Helpline and sorry to hear about your double diagnosis.

Our information on Osteoporosis is under review at the moment, so I'd suggest you approach the Royal Osteoporosis Society for their information.

I'm not sure if you've had a spinal fracture or not, but if not, then your pain may be more likely to be from the Osteoarthritis, as apart from fracture pain, Osteoporosis tends not to cause pain.

All of our exercise information should be relevant to you, the time when you may want to get some medical advice from a health care professional such as a physiotherapist may be in relation to weight bearing exercise. For Osteoporosis weight bearing exercise is recommended, and with osteoarthritis you will be advised to moderate that probably. (People with Osteoarthritis can use light weights, depending on testing out what suits them.)

Our healthy eating information is relevant, as a balanced diet is helpful for all musculoskeletal conditions. And if you are overweight, losing weight will be helpful.

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the spine | Back pain | Versus Arthritis

Exercising with arthritis | Top tips, specific exercises (versusarthritis.org)

Eating well with arthritis | healthy eating for people with arthritis (versusarthritis.org)

If you'd like to talk about arthritis, do please ring us here on our freephone 0800 5200 520.

All the best

Guy - Helpline Team

• Lily_Mouse
    Lily_Mouse Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hi Guy,

Thanks so much for getting back to me and your useful advice and support. I'll certainly take a look at the links you sent to me and will probably call the freephone number too. This site feels like a real lifeline for me and I very much appreciate the useful help you all provide. Thanks very much.