5th Covid Vaccination due/advice is now to stop MTX for 2 weeks

Options
familytree52
familytree52 Member Posts: 6
edited 15. Aug 2022, 14:34 in Chat to our Helpline Team

Hello

Just had my latest appointment with my Rheumatologist and the recent findings when having a Covid Vaccination and taking Methotrexate is to stop taking the medication one week before the Vaccination and one week when you have the Vaccination. Out of my four Vaccinations, I have suffered two bad reactions, one after the AstraZeneca Vaccination and the other, after the Spikevax one, so this latest advice maybe to stop any reactions or flare-ups.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

I think, from reading posts on here, that methotrexate advice on the covid vaccine differs from one person to another. I've always been told to stop the meth as you suggest and I have done. I had no reaction to my first two AZ vaccines but the three Pfizer all sent my BP soaring a week or so later. I've also read posts from relative newbies on here who have had bad flares of their inflammatory arthritis after their jabs. I'd go be the advice your rheumatologist has given you.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • helpline_team
    Options

Hi@familytree52

Thanks for your post to the Helpline.

As time goes by rheumatology teams are developing their understanding of what seems to work best.

Your post probably will be of most interest to folk reading and posting on the COVID 19 forum

Coronavirus (COVID-19) — Versus Arthritis

If you've got any questions or would like some support, do please come back to us here, or ring us on 0800 5200 520 if you'd like a chat.

All the best

Guy - Helpline Team