Finally going for a hip replacement!

Options

Hi all!

Ive arthritis in my right hip and have for a few years. I limp because of this and have a lot of pain.

NHS have been extremely reluctant to put me on a waiting list for a hip replacement, I’ve had scans, X-rays and a cortisone shot, which lasted about 3 weeks.

I was told on my last visit with my NHS consultant that the only thing I can have now is a hip replacement, but still I wasn’t being put on the waiting list, they wanted me to go for a CT scan!

All the while I’m struggling with walking and trying to work as a Childminder.

I literally couldn’t wait any longer and have been extremely fortunate to have a relative who has paid for me to go private.

So I’m booked in with Spire for 22nd February for my operation!

Im really nervous but I’m trying to look ahead at all the positives once I’ve had the replacement!

Any advise on a quick recovery would be much appreciated!

I have been exercising on my static bike since the beginning of January to build up my muscles around my hip, so hopefully that may help with recovery.

Terri x

Comments

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @Edgey_75 Check out the "Hip replacement tips" thread I started 11 days after I had my left hip replaced in Sept 2021. https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/55224/hip-replacement-tips/p1

It's good that you're exercising on a static bike which I found helped but I think you'd also benefit by adding other exercises into your regime. Search the Internet for Lou Grant's, a physiotherapist based near Leeds, who had a hip replacement a few years ago and has a lot of free videos and documents on her website.

Also bear in mind that recovery should be seen as a marathon rather than a sprint, ie don't overdo things, instead aim for steady progress rather than rush and overdo it. Especially difficult as often the effects of overdoing it aren't evident until hours later or the day after. I found short walks three times a day were better than one long walk. With patience and experimentation you'll be able to calibrate your post op regime to achieve the best recovery for you.

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153
    Options

I'm with you Edgey75. I've got the nod for a hip replacement 15.3.23. I know the panicky feelings, and I also need to focus on the hopes, like yourself, rather than the fears.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it gives you the future you are hoping for.

A neighbour of mine had a knee replacement a couple of years ago and recovered beautifully. His advise was to go with the physios as they know what they are talking about. I'm having my op in a private facility, but through the NHS. Are the hospital including physio support and aftercare?

Thinking of you,

Sheelee xx

• Edgey_75
    Edgey_75 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Hi @Sheelee, great news for you too! How do you go private through the NHS?

Yes Physio and aftercare is all provided.

x

• Edgey_75
    Options

Thanks @RogerBill,

I’ll take a look at the thread. Thanks for the tips on recovery too!

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Edgey75,

I am an NHS patient, but because I have no other major health issues, so unlikely to need eg intensive care treatment, my NHS surgeon is doing my operation in a private hospital. That's why I've got a date do quickly. For people with other serious health issues, they are having to wait up to 2.5 years for a bed in an NHS hospital; I'm luckier than that. I've only been waiting since mid December for a bed in a private facility.

A neighbour of mine's partner had cervical cancer a couple of years ago. Due to that, they want Sue's surgery done in an NHS hospital. No idea when she will get a date. She was supposed to be operated on in December, but she got one of the dreaded last minute cancellations. It's almost bad luck piling on bad luck.

Sheelee

• Sheelee
    Options

Sorry Edgey 75,

Forgot to say about physio aftercare. The physio said the consultant will decide who does the aftercare when I'm in hospital. The physio in the private hospital will be getting me up and about immediately post op, but the longer term things will be decided another time.

Sheelee

• SoniaR
    SoniaR Member Posts: 30
    Options

Hi Edgey, I had a hip replacement in 2016, aged 58, under the NHS. It all went really well. I had spinal anaesthetic combined with sedative, but I was pretty sick with it, so I would have general anaesthetic next time. It is major surgery, but recovery is generally quick. Try to get a lift home with someone who has higher seats in the car so you can get in and out easier. You will be a little anxious and panicky when you get home so make sure someone is around to cook a meal etc, but you don’t need constant monitoring. Put a load of ready meals in the freezer so you don’t have to cook, you will feel incredibly tired, so don’t overtax yourself. Do your physio exercises every day. Stitches were removed at my GPs surgery after a few days, then crutches were discarded by week 2, and I was driving by week 7! It is scary, but you will get there.

I now need 2 new knees but criteria under the NHS has changed and they won’t do it as I’m a bit overweight. Private hospital will so I have raised funds to have them done privately. I too have a relative who is paying for one knee and I’m doing Equity Release to do the other! Wishing you lots of luck on the 22nd. You will be fine.

• Edgey_75
    Options

@Sheelee thats good then, I’m glad it’s not a long wait for you then. X

Its a shame that if you have health issues already then you’d never be considered to have your operation done in a private hospital by NHS.

My age is definitely against me even getting onto the NHS list for hip replacements!

Good luck with your operation, hopefully we can keep each other informed as to how we’re getting on.

Terri x

• Edgey_75
    Options

@SoniaR thanks for your advice and I hope your operation for knee replacements go well.

Terri x

• Lisbeth
    Lisbeth Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi @Edgey_75

I recently had a right hip replacement with Spire. After being stuck on a “routine” waiting list for over three years and the ever growing pain causing me to stop partaking in my one true passion, my horses, one afternoon out of the blue I got a call from the pre op nurse, she asked me one question, “do you live alone” as soon as I said yes I was immediately transferred to the urgent list. That was last summer, I had my hip 10 weeks ago today. I can only tell you how it’s been thus far……. Absolutely amazing, the first few weeks were uncomfortable and a bit of an emotional roller coaster but these wonderful people here, they supported me and took the time to willingly and happily answer my questions.

Since February 1st I have been taking part in the “Walk56 Miles in February to raise awareness for Refuge” to think that I couldn’t get out of the chair without my crutches just 10 weeks ago and so far to date I’ve completed 29 miles. Something I never dreamed I would be able to do. My next milestone will be next week, by beautifully mare is having her first set of shoes in four years, and I’m going to be saddling up and we will be going for a gentle ride, I’ve not sat on her in almost four years.

You too can look forward to a much improved and happy future, I’m certain that everyone here will be cheering you on and supporting you greatly. Take care and look towards a pain free tomorrow 💕

• Edgey_75
    Options

@Lisbeth thank you! I'm glad your recovery is going well and you've made me feel positive about having a better and more mobile future!

I'll look forward to being able to go girly shopping with my young daughters and even walking my dog without feeling pain!

I'll be posting how my recovery is going on here. X

Terri x

• Sheelee
    Options

How old are you Edgey75? You say that our age is against you.

Sheelee

• Edgey_75
    edited 19. Feb 2023, 10:11
    Options

@Sheelee I’m 47 apparently this is young for needing a hip replacement. X

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Edgey75,

Now I know your age I see the significance of the 75!!

Much as I think it's totally idiotic to make unqualified across the board rules like "47 is too young for a hip replacement", I'm afraid I have known people a few years older than you that have been given that answer too.

I think the problem is there's no way of measuring pain levels apart from patients' self reporting. Nor can the medics measure differing levels of pain tolerance. If they could, they'd be better informed, and we, as sufferers, would be able to challenge such decisions as the one you've had.

There are people in this community who are far better informed than I am, but I believe part of the reluctance to operate on people below a certain age is because they can only do a limited number of "repairs/replacement" of the original hip replacement once that is worn. I'm not sure if the new ceramic prosthetics, that can be resurfaced, give the medics the option to do more "repairs". I'd be interested I knowing, if anyone in the know reads this.

What pain control measures have they offered Edgey75?

Sheelee xxx

Hugs on the way 🫂 Xx

• Edgey_75
    Options

Hi @Sheelee ,

Pain control I’ve been taking are Zapain and Naproxen. I’ve also had a cortisone shot which, for me, only lasted 3 weeks tops.

I get that the hip replacements only last for a certain amount of time, but I feel my quality of life right here and now is more important. I can’t walk far at all and all the activities I took for granted before I started suffering, I can’t do and I feel my condition is restricting me.

I know if I stayed with the NHS, it would probably be another year before they’d even consider putting me on the list for a hip replacement.

Thanks for your kind words x

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Edgey75,

I can well understand your reasoning about the "here and now". My consultant fell out with me for refusing to have the hip replacement 3 years ago. That was because the hip twisted my leg, whereby it caused quite severe soft tissue damage to my knee. 90% of my pain (used to be 95%) was from my knee, and I didn't see the sense of going out of my way to end up with extra pain in my hip when the treatment wouldn't have much impact on my actual source of pain ie my knee!! I wanted to enjoy life as much as possible whilst I had as much health as possible. (Thoughts related to someone 20 years on from you!!). Unfortunately that "luxury" (so called) isn't part of the NHS Insurance package.

Presumably, this is a second hip that is now playing up!?? I know I will have to have my 2nd hip done, because the extra reliance on the right hip, due to the arthritis in my left hip, has caused deterioration on the other side. Typical.

You are much younger than when I started with problems. I was only made painfully aware of my problem about 3 years ago (though I now realise the twisting of my leg started much earlier. As I got no discomfort, I wondered why my leg was going a bit haywire ,but thought no more about it). I think I would have been much more anxious to grab the chance to enjoy my erstwhile young health too. I really feel for you.

Is there an hereditary factor here Edgey75? There is for me. My mother had exactly the same symptoms. Because I saw what happened to her, did all I could to prevent the osteoarthritis happening to me through exercise and supplements. The physio thinks that I would have had problems much younger if I hadn't been so active. He told me not to regret having been as active as I was.

Sheelee xx

• Edgey_75
    Options

Hi @Sheelee,

My consultant told me I have abnormal shaped hips and must have done from birth. So this is why I’ve ended up with Osteoarthritis so young, as my hip joints have worn down quicker.

Today is the day for my operation! I’m so anxious but I know it’ll make such a difference to me once I’ve had it done.

Wish me luck! I’ll speak to you soon.

Terri x

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Edgey75,

Thinking of you

Good luck. All done now, and hopefully you'll be more pain free already. Xxxx

Sheelee xx

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 522
    Options

@Edgey_75

I hope all went well for you today - wishing you luck for a speedy recovery but remember it's a marathon and not a sprint so don't overdo it.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Edgey_75
    Options

Thanks @Trish9556 and @Sheelee,

I was out of theatre by 12 this afternoon. Had morphine and coedine to control the pain.

Ive just this minute been out of bed on a frame to use the toilet.

I can’t get over being able to straighten my right leg 😬🙏🏻 Both stood up and lying down! I’ve not been able to do that for a few years now!

Heres to my recovery ❤️‍🩹

Terri x

• Lisbeth
    Lisbeth Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi @Edgey_75

How are you? I’m happy that i helped you feel more positive regarding the hip replacement, I expect you are looking forward to girlie shopping trips.

I have achieved my ultimate goal, yesterday morning I got on the horse, I was so nervous but once I sat in that saddle it felt like I had never been out of it. Luckily Penny is a gentle soul and she was very accommodating, standing perfectly still while I mounted and dismounted. Take care and take each day as it comes.

• Dianes1
    Dianes1 Member Posts: 43
    Options

Hi Edgey, how are you? Hope everything is progressing well. Keep us updated. As you know several of us have been through this recently so if you wantto chat, please don't hesitate.

Take care. Diane

• Edgey_75
    Options

@Dianes1 it’s my 3rd day and I really struggled with pain and with sleeping last night. I just can’t get comfortable on my back and I feel it makes my pain worse.

I ended up getting out of bed in the early hours and sat on a chair, which I found a bit more comfortable.

Have you any advice?

Thanks

Terri x

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Edgey,

It might still help to have the leg in a slight crooked knee position. Maybe a rolled up bath towel behind the knee.

I have been told I should not have excessive pain as the pain control measures should control it. If it continues Terri, perhaps get back in touch with the medics for a review of your meds??

I also worried about sleeping on my back. The OTs have ordered an adaptation that frames your upper body so you aren't having to keep yourself in that position. It's being delivered on Tuesday. I'll let you know what I think about it.

I did think about hiring a reclining chair, with the raised foot rest, but it is expensive.

Remember, in a couple of weeks time, fingers crossed 🤞 most of the pain will be behind you and a distant memory.

Sending you hugs 🫂 🤗 ❤️

Sheelee xx

• Dianes1
    Dianes1 Member Posts: 43
    Options

Hi Terri, I know what you are going through and feel for you. I must admit the first couple of weeks after I was so disappointed and thought why have I done this. I had read other stories saying that they were out of pain so I thought something had gone wrong with my op. I was so tearful through lack of sleep as I never could sleep on my back. I don't think I was prepared for this as the doctors don't tell you this.

I kept up my painkillers that I took before op and done some exercises in the middle of the night and the stretching helped.

I spent many hours scrolling through the Internet looking for advice, but it seems that time to heal is different for everyone.

Lizbeth on this site was going through this the same time as me and we were both suffering like you are so we kept each other company. Three months on she is walking and riding her horses.

Just know that it will get better Terri. I wish I could give you better advice. Just keep posting. I am always here.