Finally going for a hip replacement!

Options

Comments

• Edgey_75
    Edgey_75 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Hi @Dianes1

thanks for your message. You’re right, no one tells you about the pain and discomfort you have lying on your back after the operation.

I’m now on day 6 and still have a lot of pain and discomfort, which I know won’t last forever.

I find nighttime the hardest, I can only sleep in one position for 2 hours each time, I wake up and take more painkillers and then try sitting in my chair to sleep for a while.

Because I’m not use to sleeping on my back, when I start drifting off to sleep I all of a sudden get a feeling of falling, which causes me to jerk my whole body and wake up! Oh the joys! 😂

Im taking each day as it comes, but I know it would be a hell of a lot harder if I didn’t have my family and friends around me and supporting me.

Terri x

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153
    Options

Hi Edgey75,

Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you. Hope you're getting some respite from the pain,

Sheelee xx

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Edgey75,

Hope you're having a better time of it,

Sheelee xxx

• Edgey_75
    Options

Hi @Sheelee,

Thank you! Being on this group is actually a Godsend!!

At this moment in time, I’m awake again because of the discomfort I’m feeling.

I’m sat waiting for the Coedine and paracetamol that I’ve just taken, to kick in and then hopefully I’ll manage another couple of hours sleep.

Terri x

• Lisbeth
    Lisbeth Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi@Edgey_75

I can and do have every sympathy regarding your bad back. It was one of the most horrendous post hip replacement pains that I experienced. I never thought it would end but it does ease with time. The first two to three weeks are most uncomfortable, pain relief is a must. I eventually managed to sleep on my side but I had a barrage of pillows behind me, in front of me and between my legs, my bed looked like the Rocky Mountains under my duvet. I’m thinking of you and hoping that you will find more comfort and less pain as the weeks progress. If you need a chat, please don’t hesitate to give me a yell. in a few weeks you will feel much better, take each day slowly and listen to your body, rest when needed but exercising is also important, just not too much at a time. Take care and heal soon.x

• Edgey_75
    Options

@Lisbeth thank you 🙏🏻 It means a lot to hear everyone’s words of advice and comfort. I can’t wait until I’m back on my feet properly with no crutches!!

Terri x

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Edgey75,

Relieved you seem a bit more upbeat, even though you're still struggling. Remember we're all with you.

Hug time 🫂💙

Sheelee xx

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Edgey75,

I realise I said I would let you know about tye bed adaptation that has been ordered for me. It should have come yesterday but things went a bit haywire. It's coming Sunday, but talking to the OT, it's called a bed wedge and works a bit like a deck chair in that yiu can adjust the angle of the wedge to your liking. It sorts of creates a frame to your upper body, so helping to keep you on your back.

If I can, I will try taking a pikkie and posting it in some way through this site.

When it comes Sunday, I will be able to give you a clearer idea what it's like.

Hope you manage to get some zeds (zzzzzz) tonight.

Sheelee xxx

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Hi Terri, you’re doing great. I remember my first few weeks post surgery were frankly an ordeal at night, but I just gritted my teeth and resigned myself to not getting much sleep, but that it didn’t matter as I wasn’t doing much during the day anyway. I had to resort to oramorph fairly often at night in the first few weeks, but only needed paracetamol during the day (even though my backside felt like a football at the end of a cup final!)

This is the tough bit, it does get better after the first few weeks.

• Edgey_75
    Options

@Sheelee and @Lilymary

Thank you for your messages.

Sheelee, keep me posted about your bed adaption. It’s not long until your operation is it now? X

Lilymary, you’re so right, I think if I resign myself to the fact I’m not going to sleep much, then I’ll probably not stress. Like you say I’m not doing much in the day, just sitting watching tele or drawing and then doing my exercises.

It’s a week since my operation now, I’m still taking Coedine and paracetamol for pain relief, but I’ve dropped taking Morphine now.

Trying to get comfortable whilst sitting or lying is probably the hardest thing for me, the walking and getting up and downstairs isn’t too bad.

Relying on my children and husband to help with putting socks on etc I find frustrating, but I know this is only short term.

I’ve found that looking to the future and booking onto events that I wouldn’t have done pre op, keeps my spirits up. So far I’m going on holiday to Belamadina in Spain with my girl friends for 4 nights in June. I’ve booked to go to an event called Classic Ibiza at Tatton Park and I’ve also booked to go to a food fest! Having these things to look forward to is really helping to keep my spirits up.

Teri x

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Edgey,

I call you that, Terri, to make sure the message is highlighted to you.

I've also booked 3 short breaks post op so I've got things go look forward to.

Regarding the socks, I did buy a sock sling. You can use it to put on socks, soft slippers or shoes. Cost about £12 from a disability shop. So easy to use and a good buy, if you wanted to get something.

I'll tell you more about the bed adaptations. I'm wondering if you missing out on dome things because you paid as a private patient. I'm being operated on in a private hospital, but, as you know I'm an NHS payment. Consequently, I was assessed by OTs for aids and adaptations free on the NHS. I'm wondering if you have missed out on that, and even if you could still see if you voukd get an assessment for aids and adaptations.

Just a thought.

And Lilymary's advice to just accept that sleep is going to be difficult for a few weeks will help me with that period of time to.

Hope today is a good day for you,

Sheelee xxx

• Edgey_75
    Options

@Sheelee Spire has given me a few aids to help me, obviously crutches, a long shoe horn to help put my shoes on, a small disc to help me with exercises while lying flat and a long handled gripper to help me pick things up off the floor so I don’t bend to far down. Oh and also a raised toilet seat, which is so uncomfortable and my advice to you is to maybe purchase one of your own off the internet, I think you can get ones that are a lot more comfortable then mine!

Terri x

• Dianes1
    Dianes1 Member Posts: 43
    Options

Hi Terri, hope you are feeling better and managing some sleep.. I didn't realise that some toilet seats were uncomfortable. I'm glad I was made to buy my own now?

You do sound a lot brighter now. It will only get better and these days will be a distant memory. Three months on and my husband still has to put sock on the foot on operated leg which as you say is frustrating.

Look forward to hearing from you soon. Diane

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Edgey75,

I was given a raised toilet seat and frame a few years ago. It's a godsend. I had to have the first one they gave me replaced. It was to high. They gave me a thinner one as I'm only 5'3. That's fine. Is it possible your seat is the wrong height for you?

Also, what makes it so easy is the toilet frame. You have arms so you can use your arms to help you get up. Without the frame mine would not be easy either.

I've now got the bed frame. It really is like a low lying deck chair, and surprisingly comfortable!! You can adjust the angle for what is best for you and the fact it has a frame, makes it much easier to stay on your back. I'm away from home till Friday. When I'm home I'll take a photo of it and try and work out a way to post it on the VA site.

How is your pain level now Edgey75? I hope it is starting to abate.

Sheelee xx

• Edgey_75
    Options

Hi @Sheelee

I don’t think my toilet seat is too high, but maybe it’s the fact I’ve no frame to help me on and off it.

The bed frame sounds amazing!! Shame I’ve not got one.

My pain level through the day has reduced by a huge amount and I don’t really need to take painkillers, although after doing my physio and walking, I sometimes feel sore, so I’ll just take a couple of paracetamol.

Night time is still the worst for me. Because I wasn’t able to straighten my right leg for over a year due to the arthritis progressively getting worse, obviously my muscles around my knee and calf area weren’t being used or stretched for a long period of time. So now I’ve had a hip replacement and can straighten out my leg, my muscles are having to work now and stretch, which in turn gives me a lot of pain when I’m lying flat on my back at night with both legs straight.

Ive had to start taking morphine again at night just to help me through.

Other than that though , things are looking brighter for me. I managed to walk all around our estate (it’s not a massive estate but big enough when you’re on crutches), with my husband the other day and I’m trying to use just one crutch around the house. I’ve had so much support from friends and family and couldn’t have done this without them.

Terri x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Toilet frames are not expensive given their importance however temporary. Mine mostly lives in the loft but makes the occasional appearance. See here https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/bathroom-aids/toilet-frames/standard-toilet-frames/economy-toilet-frame?sku=M00869 (Any decent disability store stocks them.

Also bed frames https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/bedroom-aids/bed-grab-rails/nrs-community-bed-grab-handle-mk2?sku=P94367

For the leg muscles try some quad exercises. I think walking alone probably won't stretch the relevant ones enough. The 'muscle stretch is particularly useful. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/exercising-with-arthritis/exercises-for-healthy-joints/exercises-for-the-knees/#:~:text=Quads%20exercise%20with%20roll,-Sit%20on%20the&text=Push%20down%20on%20the%20towel,exercise%20with%20the%20other%20leg.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Edgey_75
    Options

Hi @Sheelee

I don’t think my toilet seat is too high, but maybe it’s the fact I’ve no frame to help me on and off it.

My pain level through the day has reduced by a huge amount and I don’t really need to take painkillers, although after doing my physio and walking, I sometimes feel sore, so I’ll just take a couple of paracetamol.

Night time is still the worst for me. Because I wasn’t able to straighten my right leg for over a year due to the arthritis progressively getting worse, obviously my muscles around my knee and calf area weren’t being used or stretched for a long period of time. So now I’ve had a hip replacement and can straighten out my leg, my muscles are having to work now and stretch, which in turn gives me a lot of pain when I’m lying flat on my back at night with both legs straight.

Other than that though , things are looking brighter for me. I managed to walk all around our estate (it’s not a massive estate but big enough when you’re on crutches), with my husband the other day and I’m trying to use just one crutch around the house. I’ve had so much support from friends and family and couldn’t have done this without them.

Terri x

• Edgey_75
    Options

Hi @Sheelee

Terri x

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Edgey75,

Sorry I've not been in touch for a while. Grabbed a holiday before op tomorrow.

How are you? It wasn't a case of out of sight out of mind. I do hope you are not in the same degree of pain as you were a couple of weeks ago.

Thinking of you 😔 💙 ♥️

Sheelee

• Edgey_75
    Options

Hi @Sheelee

I hope you enjoyed your holiday? Where did you go?

I hope the operation went well for you yesterday and you’re not in too much pain and discomfort?

We’re both on the road to recovery and a better quality of life now!!

Let me know how you are!?

Terri xx

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Edgey75 ,

Glad to hear from you. I was wondering how you were doing.

I'm not too bad, though think the physio is a bit unrealistic expecting me to move the whole of my body with 1 arm, whist using the other hand to control a hoist to move my bad leg. I've found a way round it, and also done some exercises. A bit sore now.

I'm still in hospital. I think it will definitely be home tomorrow. The pains not too bad, though I'm a bit sore having done the exercises.

How are you? I was a little concerned yesterday when I couldn't see a post from you for a while. Glad you've been in touch.

You're 2 weeks further down the line in terms of recovery. How are you doing? It would be nice to know what the future, 2 weeks hence, looks like!!

Sheelee xx

• Edgey_75
    Options

Hi @Sheelee

Glad to hear you’re ok. Keep doing the exercises because even tho it’s sore now, it’ll get better the more you do them and feel less sore.

keep practicing walking too, I’ve seen my physio today and he said that although the exercises are good, it’s more the walking that’ll get us back on track!

Im feeling a lot more positive today, I had a better sleep last night and actually managed to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs, something I definitely couldn’t do even a week ago.

Keep taking your painkillers as they help when you’re doing your physio and walking.

I hope you’re managing to get some sleep?

Terri x

• Sheelee
    Options

Hi Terri,

Good to hear from you. I lost contact having gone into hospital and was anxious to knowhow you were going on.

Sleeping on your side in a matter of a couple of weeks. Not bad. And such a treat to!! I'd love to be able to curl up on my side and feel sorry for myself!!

It's encouraging for me to hear how well hou are coming on.

I have got stuff all over the place that cme back from hospital. I decided to make my walking exercises sorting out all the pikes of stuff, getting drinks and making sandwiches!!

Sheelee xx

• Edgey_75
    Options

Hi Sheelee,

It’s good to hear you’re getting on ok. I found that using a small bag with a shoulder strap is good to use when you’re on your crutches. It means you can carry things and still have your hands free.

I have started walking around a lot more now, I walked about 20 minutes today using just one crutch.

I’m so determined to get back to work on 17th April, which will be just short of 8 weeks since my operation.

Terri x

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Shoulder bags are a godsend when you’re on crutches. Keep up with the walking around and exercises ladies, you’re doing great.