Taking meds

Options

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and have been taking prednisolone. I have been told I now also need to take methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine. I have never mastered the technique of swallowing tablets. I am really frightened of the side effects from these drugs and worrying about having to swallow them. Anyone out there had a similar problem?

Comments

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 221
    Options

Hi @Ferry I've no experience with these particular drugs but used to have problems swallowing tablets. Tried most things - making them smaller (not if capsules) drinking large amounts of water and so. Times I've spit them back out. Slowly over the years (and seemingly more and more tablets) I've now mastered it and can swallow with liquid. I did hear somewhere that dry swallowing tablets is not good for you.

Keep perservearing and good luck.

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 133
    Options

I used to struggle swallowing tablets, so a friend suggested buying a pack of the (small) jelly beans and just try swallowing them whole (with a glass of water). Fortunately, now I'm usually ok but need to make sure I've got enough liquid! Good luck