Saying Hi - RA with newly diagnosed Fibromyalgia

Options

Hi,

I’ve had RA for 12 years and was managing my condition OK but the last 12 months have been a trial. Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia too in December and it’s completely thrown me, leaving me feeling very overwhelmed. Hoping to find a lovely, supportive group who know what all this is about because I haven’t a clue right now! 🙃

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 982
    Options

Hello @MrsFitz and a warm welcome to the online community!

I’m so glad you’ve joined us - our members are indeed lovely and supportive people and do understand what this is all about, so you’ve certainly come to the right place.

A diagnosis of Fibromyalgia on top of Rheumatoid arthritis can be overwhelming so it’s not surprising the last few months have been a trial. There’s a useful page on this condition produced by Versus Arthritis- link below - that might give you some ideas about how to manage your pain and give you some helpful advice.

Do keep posting, and ask any questions you may have - there’s bound to be another member who will be able to share the benefit of their own experience.

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• MrsFitz
    MrsFitz Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for your welcome Anna, it’s very much appreciated.

I’ve tried taking some more sort of proactive steps over the last couple of days - booked a telephone appointment with a Rheumatology Nurse for this afternoon to ask for a referral to Physio to help with exercise, joined a weight loss service, emailed forms for Occupational Health requesting help and support plus our local council to see what’s available with them.

i think I needed my epic meltdown the other day in order to get things out of my system so I could begin to focus on what I can deal with. The helpline was brilliant, very supportive and understanding. It was their suggestion that I have a look at this Community, in order to interact with people who are on a similar journey.

A bit about me - I’m 55, married and have caring responsibilities for my husband. He works from home and is trying to get his head around the changes in my condition, just as much as I am I guess. I’m on Methotrexate jabs and now have just started Hyrimoz plus folic 6/7. I was taking Hydroxycloroquine for 10+ years but it’s no longer effective hence the Hyrimoz.

I feel very isolated, and, if I’m honest, lonely. I gave up work when lockdown happened as I didn’t want to work from home due to lack of space for 2 adults working from home, plus my son, DIL and 6 month old granddaughter were also living with us and it just wasn’t at all doable when you’re working a phone-based job! They’ve moved now into their own place so it’s now just the two of us. I don’t do well with joining in with things, - making friends as a grown up is very different from when you were a child!

I’ll stop now before I bore everyone. 🙃

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

Hi there,

I'm very impressed with all you're doing to get on top of this. You do deserve success.

I have RA and OA but no fibro. I do OK on meth and hydroxy. I hope the hyrimoz works for you soon. These meds can all take 12 weeks or so though. I find Occy Health can be really helpful though sometimes they have long waiting lists. You have set thenball rolling, though. It's never easy when things are tough.

Why not have a look at 'Val's Cafe' on the chit chat forum. I'm sure you'll be made welcome - with a irtual 'cuppa'☺

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • MrsFitz
    MrsFitz Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for your reply Stickywicket 🙂

l finally got around to sorting access to my hospital medical records (PIP reassessment coming up) and I found out that I also have osteoarthritis too, which was nice! It’s obviously gone over my head when I was told about it, which doesn’t surprise me as the past 2 years or so have been a little trying what with fighting for HRT on top of everything else. I’m just hoping to get on an even keel with everything so I can get my head around things.

We had OH for my hubby who were very good so hopefully they can help me too. We also need to be assessed for housing needs so we can have somewhere level on the ground floor. That would make a massive difference and improve our lives drastically! Fingers crossed 🤞

I hope everyone has a lovely day, whatever you’re doing.

Martine