Antibiotics & Methotrexate ?

Options

Hi Everyone!

My wife has RA and was diagnosed 18 month byus ago.

She has settled well on Methotrexate and is now in remission.

I am currently suffering a chest infection and am concerned what makes happen if she gets it.

Can those on Methotrexate also take antibiotics ( which is what I'm on for my chest infection) ?

Many thanks for any help!

Dan

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Hi @DDD79 and welcome. It's good that you're looking out for your wife. I've been on methotrexate for over 20 years and always been told to stop it if I have antibiotics. Indeed, I stop it if I have any infection as it makes sense to allow our immune systems to fire up a bit to fight the infection.

My family and friends all know to stay away if they're ill. Obviously, my husband can't do thar any more than you can stay away from your wife.

It's probably difficult, and scary, for both of you if your wife's RA is under good control having been bad for some time. Perhaps, though, you're jumping the gun a bit. So far, she's OK. Try not to cough or sneeze near her. But, if she does catch it, there's no guarantee she'll need antibiotics. If she does I'd suggest she rings her rheumatology helpline for some personal advice.

I hope you'll feel better soon.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright