Osteoarthritis in teens

Options

My daughter, age 13, has been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in two joints in her feet, caused by tarsal coalitions, which are inoperable.

I'm finding hard to find any parents/carers of young people with osteoarthritis... is there anyone out there?!

She can only walk very little with crutches, and is using a wheelchair mainly. I'd be really interested to hear others' stories.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @Cosnemews and welcome to the Community.

Can I suggest that you get in touch with our Young People and Families Service as they might be able to give you some good advice.

Also hopefully other parents on here will connect with you. Good to have you here.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options

Hi @Cosnemews

I am so sorry to hear how your daughter is suffering so much with her feet.

It seems incredible that in 2024 can't believe they can't operate at all to help her.

We do get parents on here with children who have the inflammatory types of arthritis. Osteo is less common I think contacting the young people's service is a good idea.

My own experience is a little different, my youngest got leukaemia at 16 and the treatment (chemo and dexamethasone) caused avascular necrosis. She had hip surgery and a new shoulder at 18 and 19. However 'they' were reluctant to do much due to her age we had to get a second opinion.

These ((())) are for you it's so tough being the Mum of a poorly child.

Take care

Toni x