Should I take hydroxychloroquine for palindromic arthritis?

Options

Hi all, I was recently diagnosed with Palindromic arthritis afte 2 years of symptoms. I currently have a really bad flare up in my right hand. I was prescribed hydroxychloroquine but only "if it gets worse". I am not sure what that means - a single flare? or over several years? I was only given 1 month's supply. My GP won't advise, and the hospital don't answer.

Does anyone else take hydroxy all the time, even when they don't have a flare up? I can go months between flares. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    Options

Welcome @Torih to the online community,

You have palindromic arthritis and have currently a flare affecting your right hand. There are numbers of the members of the community who have experience of taking hydroxychloroquine and I hope they will share their thoughts with you. Meanwhile I attach some links which I hope will be helpful

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/palindromic-rheumatism/

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/hydroxychloroquine/

I also hope that you will get some answers to your questions from the GP and the hospital.

Do let us know how you get on, we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I know it will seem hard to get hold of your rheumatology helplinè (some only operate one or two days per week) but ther's no real alternative. Your GP isn't a rheumatologist and can only prescribe DMARDS as directed by a rheumatologist.

I've taken meth and hydroxy for yeárs for my RA but the meth requires regular blood tests and the hydroxy regular, though infrequent, eye tests.

If your rheumatologist has said it's OK for you to take the month's supply, and if you're in a bad way, then why not take them but ensure you do touch base with the rheumatologist to see what comes when you reach the end of the packet. If you only get an answerphone make sure you leave your name, address and phonenumber.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright