Advice on index fingers!

Options

Hello,

Does anyone have advice on dealing with osteoarthritis in the first joint of both index fingers. It’s really painful and seems to alternately sting, burn and throb. I take codeine for other joints, but my fingers still seem to hurt and are making it hard to use a mouse, type, cook and weirdly are my biggest barrier to exercise! They really hurt when swimming, doing pilates, trying to hold the bar in body pump or the bike handles in spin, air boxing in cardio classes… you name it. I was exercising really hard right up to a bilateral knee replacement and take modifications to overcome probs with hips, elbows, spine and wrists so it seems bizarre that it’s my fingers getting in the way of exercise, cooking and working! Any and all advice would be much appreciated! TIA

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,037
    Options

Hello @lizmo I've attached a copy of our booklet - hope it helps

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,476
    Options

I had the same with mine for a while, but in time they seemed to settle down then flared up again then settled down. It wasn't much fun while it lasted though.

Have you tried an anti-inflammatory gel rubbed in before exercise?

Best of luck

Toni x

• Izzy72
    Izzy72 Member Posts: 32
    Options

I have painful hands too, anything from sudden sharp pain to dull aches that take my breath away.I knit a great deal and the constant movement, flexing and opening closing my hands alleviates the pain and helps to prevent that congested feeling when joints swell. It is sore at first but I've found it really helps.

Heat helps me, I do a lot of walking and often have to wear gloves when everyone else is in t shirts! When running it's painful to let my hands hang down in a relaxed way from my wrists so close them in a loose grip shape - just so that my fingertips touch my hands, just gently touching and that helps a lot.

Just a couple of ideas, I hope you find something that helps you.