Osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia

Hi

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia about 6 years ago. Its hard to know which is causing the most pain. I have diagnosed osteoarthritis in my neck, spine and toes but suspect its more widespread. I am 54 next week, live in Norfolk with my husband. Just looking to meet people who understand and generally to say hi.

Thanks

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 807

Hello @Nanna and welcome to the online community

It is great to meet you and to see that you are already reaching out to other members of the community with your support. That is what we are all about giving and receiving support from those who are experiencing living with arthritis.

I attach some links for your information but since you have been diagnosed with OA for some years it may not be new to you. However the links to the exercises maybe be a valuable asset to your coping with the pain you feel.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-oa-of-the-spine/

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/fibromyalgia/

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/exercising-with-arthritis/exercises-for-healthy-joints/exercises-for-the-neck/

There are a number of videos which many of us find really helpful so I hope you get a chance to look at them and at the host of discussions and tips from our members. We are a friendly group and offer a safe place to share your experiences, so we hope to hear from you again soon.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Nanna
    Nanna Member Posts: 6

Thanks Poppyjane

I'll have a look x

• Mikelfc
    Mikelfc Member Posts: 2

Hi new here no exactly how you feel the pain is horrendous at times, my osteoarthritis is in my lower back with spinal stenosis middle of spine , most of my facet joints effected are in lower back so I get burning pain in my buttocks thigh area .

• Hi, just joined but I have got Arthritis but it's due to having Hemoacromatosis, yea so don't know if I can get any help with mine…the doc took my bloods, and I don't have any markers for Arthritis, so was left for years in horrendous pain anyway got to see a bone doctor and had a scan, and I am bad, I KNOW.… SO RALLY NEED SOME HELP WITH STUFF TO DO AND TAKE. ANYWAY, HOPE ITS OK I JOINED. XX

• Jools71
    Jools71 Member Posts: 16

Hi Nana

I have had osteoarthritis in hands, knee and spine for years.Im 53. Recently diagnosed with Fibro aswell.

I work full time for a charity with kids. I'm a single mum with 2 boys aged 21 and 18.

I try to be active but after work I'm knackered! I swim at weekends in cold water in Scotland. I'm not long back from the Algarve where I walked miles with my friend.

I am in constant pain. Nothing helps. I cant take NSIADS . I take duloxetine, paracetamol and Tramadol daily and amitriptyline ( 1) at night.

I currently have piroxicam from the Rhumatologist which doesn't do much!

The cortisone injections help but I have to beg for them here in Scotland. Dr never keen to do them.

I am currently having some kind of flare up as my pain is so bad. I'm.going to call Dr tomorrow. I'm looking for anyone that can relate.

I need to work and I love my job. But it's tough. This flare is making me extremely tired! It was my sons 18th 2 weeks ago and I did drink copious shots of alcohol ect. I know this flares joints but not usually for 2 weeks!!

The pain can ease when I go walking on my knee and spine but nothing seems to help hands. Certainly this typing is not!

Please feel free to offload to me!

Jools

• Nanna

Am in so much pain. The arthritis in my neck has flared up. Lump in neck is causing the worst headache. Don't know what to do with myself. Hurts ro sit or lay down. Tried heat, Co-Drydomol, ibuprofen. Can't sleep.

• Nanna

Hi Jools, sorry for such a late reply. You sound very similar to me, thank you for sharing. Credit to you for still working, it's very hard.