Hip strengthening exercise cause pain after hip arthroscopy

Hey everyone, I'm new here so I hope my post goes through okay.

A bit about my situation. I'm 34 y/o and I've just had my second hip arthroscopy on my left hip about 5 weeks ago. I previously had my first hip arthroscopy 2 years ago and my doctor fixed both Cam and Pincer impingement. I also had bone spurs and labral tears which he did work on. For that surgery, he diagnosed me with osteoarthritis. After my recent second surgery, I've been diagnosed with grade 3 arthritis on both the hip and femur bone.

My recent recovery was going quite well and I wasn't experiencing a lot of pain with walking and doing isolation exercises. However, these past 2 weeks, my recovery has gone down hill since my physio gave me strengthening exercises to do. He has given me exercises such as step ups, wall squats and supported squats. Whenever I do these exercises, it feels like the joint flare ups and is painful for hours after. The pain is especially bad after doing step ups. I've spoken to him about this and he keeps telling me that it's important to push through the pain and to do the strengthening exercises. But it just doesn't feel right.

My questions are: has anyone else experienced this similar situation? Is it normal to experience a lot of pain after doing strengthening exercise after such surgery? Do I continue to do these exercises even if they are causes flare ups?

Thanks for reading this! 😊

Comments

• shacklock25
    shacklock25 Member Posts: 30

I wouldn't do those exercises if they are causing flare ups and really bad pain. It's obvious they are too much. I would see the consultant if possible, or at least speak to him about this. Your body is telling you these particular exercises are not doing you any good.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,196

Hello @zoecunningham89 and welocme to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I agree with @shacklock25 in that if the exercises are causing bad pain you need to go back to the consultant. I guess it depends how rigorous the exercise is as well. I've put a link in below to our stretching exercises, maybe you could try some of these?

Please let us know how you get on and I hope you can find something that helps but not cause more trouble.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Thank you so much the both of you. I also agree, that I shouldn't be doing these exercise. I will try the exercises recommended, thank you again.

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 369

I don't know what kind of pain you have. If it's really acute, I'd go to your consultant but there is a moment in the surgery recovery when exercises are really painful and, in my opinion, you have to cross this barrier to keep moving forward. I remember I was almost in tears with some exercises and the day after I couldn't move.

These exercises are prescribed by a physiotherapist who has seen many cases as yours so I'd trust the process. I hated mine but at the end of the sessions I realised he was totally right. Try to do less repetitions until you feel comfortable with the exercise.

Take care x

• Norny
    Norny Member Posts: 55

@jellyfish89 I did the Escape Pain 6 week physio led class recently. I also couldn't do the step up and down exercises without causing increased pain. I did the ones that didn't cause me as much pain and introduced the other ones with less reps near the end of the six weeks. That worked for me. I feel it has helped my range of motion.

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 483

@jellyfish89 your physio exercises do seem to be a bit aggressive but they also reveal where are the hot spots. In particular you seem to be describing exercises where your having to lift your whole weight, let's say 90kg on joints that are either not going to take it for long enough or don't have the safe enough range of motion.

I preferred something more gradual.

• thanks for this, it’s nice to hear about someone with a similar situation. I’ll do that. Thanks again

• Yeah, my hot spots are around the front of the hip joint. I’ve mentioned to speak to my doctor now and has told me to bring up very very slowly and to leave out exercises that I can’t do at all until later on in my recovery.

• dilewis
    dilewis Member Posts: 1

I was told to keep going and push through my pain after thr. Ended up with hip bursitis and tendinitis in all major hip tendons was in more pain than befor op now 3 yes later I'm still in pain so don't keep on if in pain. Take it easy

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 385

Keep moving little and often I find works for me 🙌

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,791

Hi @dilewis just wanted to say hello and lovely to have a new person whose first post is helping someone else.

Toni x

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,733

Apologies @jellyfish89 I also want to quickly welcome @dilewis to the online community on behalf of the moderating team.

I look forward to seeing more of your posts in future

best wishes

Ellen.