Knee support

Hi all, I'm new to the group and have osteoarthritis in the knee.

My job has me on my feet all day walking up and down stairs.

What can anyone recommend a support that works and easies the pain?

TIA Steve

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 795

Hi @jambosteve1

I think it depends on where in the knee your arthritis is as to what type of support you could get to help. You could pay £7 for a strong elasticated support from a high street pharmacy or £1000 for a top of the range unloader type brace. I've used a strong elasticated support for a number of years now which has mostly worked for me. I'd had a partial meniscus removal many years ago so my arthritis caused medial pain problems with any sideways movement of the knee. I was told in early 2022 - based on x-rays from July 2021 that I needed a knee replacement 'sooner rather than later'. I'd put it off and got by with the strong elasticated support and pain relief patches when it flared up. However by 2023 it had deteriorated further and I'm now on a 2 year waiting list for knee replacement. I thought I'd look at getting a brace meantime to help but there's so many products on the market I've actually called the orthopaedics consultant I saw in 2023 to ask his advice. I'm waiting on a reply at present.

• tayze76
    tayze76 Member Posts: 1

Hi there,

I can completely relate to your situation. I'm also on the waiting list for knee surgery—it's been two years now as both of my knees are in pretty rough shape. In the meantime, I’ve been using a knee brace that’s really made a difference for me. I understand how challenging it can be to navigate all the different options available, and it’s great that you’re seeking advice from your orthopaedics consultant.

The brace that I use is a unloader as it completely takes the weight and strain from your knees. To be honest I think that I would be pretty shafted without them at the moment.

I bought mine from here. Knee Brace Unloader it is definitely worth taking a look.

I hope you find a solution that works well for you and eases your discomfort while you wait for your surgery. If you ever want to chat more about braces or anything else, feel free to reach out!

Best of luck, and hang in there! 

Antony

• cabman
    cabman Member, Unconfirmed Posts: 1

Hi I'm a newcomer to the forum, I have had Arthritis in my knees for some years, in March 2024 following an exray on my left knee my GP referred me to my local Orthopaedic department for a knee replacement, in May I phoned the hospital to find out when I would be seen by a surgeon only to find that the earliest date I would have my initial appointment would be April 2025 so presumably I would then be placed on a waiting list for surgery.

Not happy with the prospect of possibly 2 years before surgery I contacted my GP and asked if NHS operations could be farmed out to the private health sector.

Happily I was able to see a consultant in a private hospital on 01/08/2024 and am due to have my operation on 16/09/2024 funded by the NHS.

The moral of the story is if you do not ask you will never know what help is available

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,791

Hi @cabman

I am so pleased for you others have doe this others have resorted to paying privately so well done! We ahve to be our own advocates these days😊

Toni

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,733

Hi @cabman just a quick welcome from me that was a shockingly long wait to even see a consultant I think you did absolutely the right thing pushing for a your surgery NHS surgery to be outsourced to the private sector,

I am so pleased you have already seen your consultant and the surgery is taking place this month.

Best of luck with it I hope you'll et us know how you get on.

Ellen.