Can you help - shoes?

Hi there, new to the community and wondered if anyone can give their advice please? I was diagnosed with ankle arthritis 6 years ago and it is now at an advanced stage. Sadly, I can’t have a new joint or arthrodèses as over 30 years ago, I had my left knee fused following a skiing accident. I wear a brace on my ankle to help with stability as the foot is turning inwards(which it started following the knee surgery). I have used Skechers recently as they appear to be the most comfortable but they don’t last well. I was wondering if anyone can suggest any shoes that offer comfort without costing an arm and a leg please? Thank you.

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 385

Good morning @rogandog and welcome to the online community.

Sorry to hear your concerns about footwear I do agree skechers good but expensive and don't seem to last long.

I was referred to a podiatrist who gave me insoles which help me and I just transfer them in and out of shoes I choose to wear ??

Maybe see if your doctor would refer you if not already done so.

The following maybe of interest to you….

https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2023/march/shoes-for-arthritis-tips-on-footwear-and-footcare-if-youre-in-pain/

I am sure others will connect with you soon.

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Ive lost count how many pairs of trainers I've tried on but still uncomfortable,still keep looking,my podiatrist suggested brooks or new balance with extra cushioning

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,791

I use skechers too, but I get two pairs the same and alternate they seem to last better that way. I also have skechers slippers.

• Hi which sketchers do you get,I didn't know they did slippers too,it's hard to find comfy slippers

• Just to find shoes and slippers that feel nice and so you can walk without to much pain would be delightful

• Im looking up sketchers slippers ,thankyou for letting us know about them

• daveh1980
    daveh1980 Member Posts: 9

I was advised by a physiotherapist to wear padded soled trainers (running style) and to put plantar orthotic insoles in them, I also bought a pair of flipflops with the insole built into them. They differently help (a little bit).

• Hi did you manage to find comfy trainers with padding,it's going to sound weird but what sort socks do you wear ,it's hard to know to choose bamboo or cotton etc best wishes tc

• Moggy_Mama
    Moggy_Mama Member Posts: 2

The only trainers I’ve found so far are Altra. They are shaped more like barefoot shoes (ie actually foot shaped rather than the idiotic shape they’ve all adopted that squash your toes), but have great padding.

Downsides are hellishly priced and mesh so I spend the winter expecting either frostbite or trench foot! BUT at least I can walk better. I’d honestly gotten to the point of wanting to take an axe to my left foot and remove it (I exaggerate not!) the pain was so debilitating.

Other recommendation is toe socks. Again hellishly priced, but allow to toes to spread the way they are supposed to. I found OrrinSport the most comfortable for me. You can also get socks that are more foot shaped and less squished in than normal (I’ve used Belenka, but prefer the toe socks)