Scared of Operation THR

pollyana
pollyana Member Posts: 4
edited 13. Sep 2024, 12:14 in Hints and Tips

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm posting because I'm feeling scared about upcoming hip surgery. Although I've had a right THR I'm facing my second Left one and I've been feeling scared and also silly for feeling like that. I know that going into surgery like this isn't helpful and wondered if anyone had tips or ideas to help me get into a better head space.

I am so grateful to be able to have the surgery as I'm in a lot of pain and less able to walk very far. So I'm trying to focus on post recovery - getting my life back and not being in pain. BUT for some reason I can't seem to shift the fear/anxiety of it all. My last surgery was 5 years ago. I had 4 nights in hospital, very low BP, fainted during physio and was very sick on the meds but I think I can handle that…

I think I'm daunted by the whole recovery process…initial weeks of swelling, stockings, careful moving, sleeping on your back etc…the whole thing feels like a massive mountain. And I feel embarrassed to be making a bit of a fuss when everyone gets through it. I don't remember feeling like this last time and was pretty pleased to be having it done. I'm not sure how to shift my mindset.

Everyone keeps saying ' well the last one worked out well didn't it' but for some reason that's not helping much.

Any thoughts welcome….

Comments

• PJoanne
    PJoanne Moderator Posts: 122

Hello @pollyana

Thank you for your first post. It's only natural to reflect on past experiences and draw from them, you know how it was last time and it's playing on your mind. I don't think you are making a fuss! Perhaps you could make a plan for dealing with each part of what is daunting you, say 'sleeping on my back - make sure I have soft bedding and pillows' . It's an exercise in breaking down a 'big' thing into small tasks. Might help?!

There's the helpline telephone number at the bottom of my post, if you would like to chat to someone.

Here's some information from the VA website that it may help to read.

Best Joanne

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 676

Hi

You are right to be anxious as no two surgeries are the same but at least you have knowledge of what lies ahead.

There are a number of members who have had two hip replacements and if you search hip replacements you'll find many diaries detailing recovery, including mine but I've only had one done so far.

@Nurina is scheduled to have her second one done and may help you.

I'm sure everything will be fine but speak to your surgeon and team about your concerns too.

Good luck

Trish xx

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 369

Thanks @Trish9556 I had my left hip done in January and I'm having my second surgery in November. I have different thoughts.

My operated leg feels amazing. There were just a few bad days and the improvement was really fast. After 3 months, my life resumed as completely normal but my other leg, that was as bad as the first, started to be in pain so I'm happy to have it done as soon as possible.

With my first leg I had different fears: the spinal anaesthetic, the time at the hospital, the wound, my home, my family, the handrail, the bed, the chairs, the frame, the crutches. I don't have those fears now because everything was much easier than I thought and now they are history. I have now other concerns: the endless nights trying to sleep on my back, the strong medication and blood thinners, extreme stiffness, toilet seats, washing myself, the grabber, the socks, asking for help for everything, the 90 degrees rule... But, so far, I can't wait to have it done because time flies and everything will be history again in a few weeks.

@alwayssewing has had her both hips done recently and she is having a good experience.

Please, share with us your concerns. You are not alone

Take care x

• pollyana
    pollyana Member Posts: 4

Thank you so much everyone for your helpful comments It's good to know I'm not alone and that others have worries too. I think it feels there is so much to manage …and it goes on for weeks and weeks…the list of 'rules' is long….as you say the grabber, ted stockings, 90 degree rule and not crossing the 'invisible centre' line. …the toilet…sleeping on your back…yikes. I like the idea of working out how to manage what's daunting me - maybe I need to write it all down.

The recovery is fast I agree in terms of moving and feeling in less pain generally. I did it last time so I have to believe I can do it again. I'm booked for 6 weeks time - so I have time to prepare.

I'll get organised with my list of questions/concerns for my pre- op. I'm not sure if I'll see the surgeon again, feels like I'm making a bit of a fuss and I think as I've had it before they think I know the ropes.

Also perhaps being a person who's sometimes anxious, is probably not helping. I'll keep reading about others' experience and positive outcomes- I think it helps. Thank you so much all 😚

( I couldn't work out here how to reply to each post separately doh)

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 369

I think it's good to have some concern on it. Being reckless and trying to ignore that's a serious major surgery, is worse. You'll be fine soon, better than you are now. Big hugs x