should I have surgery?

gozkan
gozkan Member Posts: 5
edited 17. Sep 2024, 20:25 in Living with arthritis

Hello, first of all, I am using an English translation program, so I apologize for the mistakes in my writing, get well soon everyone, I have been diagnosed with advanced hip arthritis, doctors recommend prosthesis. The interesting thing is that I have no pain, yes I can walk long distances but with my cane, I have slight pain in my hip when standing or sitting for a long time, but it goes away with the new position, are there any friends who have this condition, I am 58 years old, should I have surgery?

Tagged:

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 385

Good morning @gozkan and welcome to the online community.

Glad to hear you have been to doctors and they are helping you with your condition.

Have you explained to them about no pain and your concerns about having surgery ???

I would discuss with them and see if the can reassure before deciding.

I am sure others will connect with you soon.

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 676

Hi @gozkan

I had a total hip replacement on 20th May this year and had to wait 18 months from diagnosis and surgery. Some places in the UK have much longer waits. Depending on where you live, it might be worth asking how long the waiting list is and if it's years, some people wait 3 or 4 years, I would definitely go on the waiting list now.

Trish

• gozkan

There Will be no wait for surgary

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 369

As @Trish9556 say, I'd go on the waiting list. I waited for too long trying to manage the condition by myself and when I went to the GP I was in final stage of OA and the waiting list was 2 years. You say you will not have waiting list and at the moment you can manage it so it can wait. You will know when you'll need the surgery. Take care.

• The poster said there would be no waiting time so wherever they are it is better than here.

@gozkan Like you I have been able to manage with hip OA for many years and was, until recently, able to walk quite long distances with walking poles usually but now less so. I am now booked for surgery but still may not go through with it. I would say if you can manage and are not in pain then surgery is best avoided. If there is no waiting list where you are then if it becomes much worse then you can always get the surgery done. Out of interest which country do you live in? All the best

• gozkan
     Thank you for your comments.
     I live in Ankara, 
    the capital of Turkey, 
    private health insurance works
     very well in our country, 
    it is a bit expensive but it is affordable.