May I recommend a good book?

Options

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Toni,

Well..... box of delights and the midnight folk are by John Masefield or Mansfield..... I can't see to see what his name is but he became the poet lariat and I am sure you'd like he Midnight folk........ :lol: The H.P ones are really really good but not if you don't like fantasy/ magic or mystical. Those of us who spend little time in the real world love em! :lol: Not suggesting you have to be out of a tree to like them Page :lol: x

Legs, Is she the one who did the historical biographies? Think I have read one of hers back along. I have to have a few books in my cell but some of my choices are why I am in it....... :lol: Cris x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Toni and Cris,

I would class Margaret Forster as more recent Histroical Fiction, being 1930's and later - she's an 'old fashioned' writer but her characters are like real people and so believeable.

Keeping the World Away - Margaret Forester. This book's faction and is about a painting and the people who's life it touches.

Is There Anything You Want - Margaret Forster. Now don't let the subject matter put you off but it's about a volunteer who works in a hospital.

Little Bird - Camilla Way. This is the story of a little girl, Elodie, who's abducted by a dumb man whilst she's a baby and how her life goes - this, for me, was a brilliant read.

The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. A book of letters that tells of Guerney's struggle during the WW2, interesting, funny, uplifting and thoroughly entertaining.

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak. A bit different this book as it's written by 'Death' during WW2 - I know, it sounds awful but it's excellent.

I know it's all down to personal taste at the end of the day but the above are some of my more recent favourites. Don't know which books you like Toni - you can't have too many or you'll sink your lilly pad and anyway Cris needs some for her padded cell - have you got room in your cell for me Cris and shall I bring my own chair?

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Legs,

Plenty of room..... I've extended it! :lol: Bring your own chair as Slipper Boy has eaten them all, you could sit on him...... :wink:

How you doing by the way?

Luv
    Cris x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi Cris,

I'm really good, just a little achy, as Tuesday is pool day for me and I put my joints through their paces even when they're unwilling. :wink:

Don't think I'll bring a chair afterall as Slipperboy sounds far more inviting-a-seat, warm, furry, soft and an occasional trip around the padded cell I imagine :shock: Shall I bring a bottle, red, white or rosé?

Hope you're well.

Luv Legs :lol::lol:
    Love, Legs x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Legs

I'm glad your not too bad and bones need to be put through paces regular I think :wink: :roll:

Slipper Boy would be only too happy for you to sit on him but he would do more than a little turn round the cell so best bring all 3 bottles and a crash helmet........ :lol::lol: Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Thanks Legs
    I will make a note of those. My reading tastes are totally ecclectic and the books only have to be good! :wink: Probably really my least favourite would be modern 'chick-lit'. If you know what I mean :wink:
    I hope you have a good rest in that cell - it sounds ok to me - especially with the wine and slipper-boy.
    The lilly-pad is pretty resiliant and i have a good sense of balance!! (actually I have a 'secret' bit of the garden at the top and in the trees, with a bench with a roof where I can read quietly. I can see other people, but they cant see me :wink:
    Take care all
    Toni xx
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Eoin Colfer - Artemis fowl books are canny.they are aimed at teenage I think but they are quite clever,A kind of junior James Bond.
    Tom Holt -funny
    Jasper FForde (not a spelling mistake) - comedy in literacy surroundings.
    I am at the minute working my way again through Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh mysteries.
    Linda H 8)
  • lindah
    Options
    Bumped this up to say thank you linda for a great read.
    I have read water for elephants on my hollies and thouroughly enjoyed it.
    I also had an Ian rankin and 2 Minette Walters and now i am home with all the posts to read on here but no more books.

Any more recommendations anyone as I brought loads of money back and intend to buy some reading matter with it.
    Missed you all loads.

linda H 8)
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Linda,

Did you have a nice time? I do hope so. Take care, Cris x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    lindah wrote:
    Bumped this up to say thank you linda for a great read.
    I have read water for elephants on my hollies and thouroughly enjoyed it.
    I also had an Ian rankin and 2 Minette Walters and now i am home with all the posts to read on here but no more books.

Any more recommendations anyone as I brought loads of money back and intend to buy some reading matter with it.
    Missed you all loads.

linda H 8)

Hi Linda,

Glad you enjoyed it I haven't met anyone yet who hasn't - just tell me, without giving anything away to other peeps who may wish to read it - did you guess who did the deed?

Love, Legs x
  • lindah
    Options
    I am usually right on the ball half way through a mystery or a detective but missed the clues on this one completely.
    Thanks again for the post or I would never have picked up on this book.
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Lynn,

With you on Thomas Hardy, I can't see the appeal and hated Tess of the Derbiviles...... and Maddening crowd, mind both were school books! Love to Kill a Mockingbird, both book and film. And kids books are the best! :wink::lol::lol: I 'used' to love James and the Giant Peach as well as Matilda and the one about the Fox. You may take the 'used to' with a pinch of salt eh?! Cris x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    you have read my mind.I was going to come on the forum today and ask if anybody could recommend any good books(apart from Rehabs forum classic).
    My favourite book is Five children and it.I read that to my two eldest daughters when they were little.
    I also like historical novels.

Take care Tkachev
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I've just read Lulu's autobiography 'I Don't Want to Fight'.

A friend lent it to me and to be honest I wasn't looking forward to reading it because I find biographies a bit anecdotal but this was a good, easy, light read and very interesting.

Before that I read Jodi Piccoult 'Second Glance' also a loan but a good read if you like ghost stories :shock:

Love, Legs x
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi

Quite an old book but Flowers in the attic by V.C Andrews is a really good read.

Love
    Vonski x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I read that about 25 years ago Vonski (showing my age again :oops: ) it's quite creepy isn't it from what I remember :?

Hope you're well today - or to coin your phrase 'wellish'.

Love, Legs x
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Just finished the latest Harlen Coben "Long Lost".....superb.

Now reading Mark Billingham "Bloodline", also great.
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Legs

I knew it was old but didn't realise it was so old, honest I don't remember it at all a friend told me about it :lol: Yep I think it was a bit creepy too.

I'm not too bad how are you?

Love
    Vonski x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    will read anything read all dick frances books loved them
    val
  • pheebs
    pheebs Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm currently reading This Charming Man by Marian Keyes - I love the way she writes - very witty but a serious side too. I also enjoy Kathy Reichs, Tess Geritson and Harlan Coben.

Pheebs x
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    The Outlander by Gil Adamson is the best "modern"
    novel I've read in years.
    I prefer 19 and early 20 C novels and Anna of the
    Five Towns by Arnold Bennett is the one I'd take to
    the desert island.
  • lindalegs
    Options
    vonski wrote:
    Hi Legs

I knew it was old but didn't realise it was so old, honest I don't remember it at all a friend told me about it :lol: Yep I think it was a bit creepy too.

I'm not too bad how are you?

Love
    Vonski x

I'm really brill at the moment Vonski although I am having problems with my right replacement knee - but weeeeeeee don't want to talk about that :lol::lol: thanks for asking :D

I've read Captain Corelli's Mandolin and really enjoyed it although it was hard to get into at first - anyone tried that book and if yes what did you think?

Luv Legs
    Love, Legs x
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Just read My Sister's Keeper
    by Jodi Picoult.

I enjoyed it, very thought provoking.

Kath
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    I love reading, it is my ultimate comfort!! :D

I read My sisters keeper, I really enjoyed it, but it made me cry. I enjoy Harlan Coben as well and many others, not much I won't read actually!

I loved the Sophie Kinselle Confessions of a Shopaholic series, just watched the film and I was so disappointed!

Deb x
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Tried to get into

The Time Traveller's Wife

Unfortunately my brain could not follow
    the plot at all, so gave it up after a page or two.

Wonder what the film is like, anyone seen it yet?

Kath